My Ghost Site.

Token

Hey guys an gals.

Check my site www.FileHive.co.uk

As you can see under construction, the problem is I'm too lazy to learn any PHP and get the site working to a point where you are able to upload files. Anyone with the ability or know how, pleace contact me :)

I dont want it to be another 'ghost' site that nobody ever visits.

Cheers Scopse.

Hey guys an gals.

Check my site www.FileHive.co.uk

As you can see under construction, the problem is I'm too lazy to learn any PHP and get the site working to a point where you are able to upload files. Anyone with the ability or know how, pleace contact me :)

I dont want it to be another 'ghost' site that nobody ever visits.

Cheers Scopse.

I think thats a really good idea!

and i also think you should try put your mind on learning php im sure it would be very rewarding for you and a big achevement :)

Im sure people would use the site if it was all working!

(Y):):)

Thanks for the encouragement Crazy_gap girl, and as much as I'd love to know PHP its such a time consuming thing to learn. Going to take me about a year to know all that shizzle. Although my mate did make:

He created and sold that for about £1500, now hes crying because he reckons its worth atleast 10x that because of a few 10,000 visitors each day.

Anyways back to the point NickCarter, the Domain for 2 years and the hosting for a year cost £36, now thats hardly a hole in my pocket, I use the server for random hosting of files which is really handy, so yeh im not totally set on gettin the site finished, but I can go through a learning process before I devote myself to it.

Sooooo anyone with PHP skills?

mat

Whats the point.

Your code will never be as good as Trials-Shack's and I doubt you can afford the hosting without setting your own server up.

TS ***!

TS code is wank. It has always been wank, and always be, any self respecting coder relises there is always improvements to be made, and therefore the code is never as good as it could be. Given, you often get close, and i am proud of some parts of my code, but others are a shambles.

However, the point about setting up a server and hosting is very valid. Point in case, trials-shack last year. Simply grew to large for the resources my pocket could afford, and those resources at the time were seem to be in excess.

Thanks for the encouragement Crazy_gap girl, and as much as I'd love to know PHP its such a time consuming thing to learn. Going to take me about a year to know all that shizzle.

If you stick your head down, it would barely take a month. This will sound shit, but PHP is actually amazingly simple in its simplest form (see? sounded shit :turned: ) but a thats all a file hosting needs to be, simple. File uploading is taken car of in 20/30 lines, and that code can easily be downloaded and modified within 5 minutes. User registration and database functions once you've got the hang of it, which would take a week max, would take a few days. Its only when you start expanding and wanting a future proof site, or a feature packed site does PHP get complicated and time consuming. Don't get me wrong, 3 years on i'm still learning new functions and new techniques, but the basics are easy to master.

If i'm honest, Trials-Shack in its current form is amazingly easy, hell, in its current form it only took 14 days odd to code, which is actually longer then it normally would as i'm using classes and trying to utilize OOP where possible.

Although my mate did make:

File Lodge!

Not bad, but this brings up a point i was going to make ealier, but as you had no desire to finish it, i didn't see the need to mention, but, the market for file uploading and hosting is completly saturated. Even a niche market like bike trials specific media hosting is basically full, as even i'm finding it difficult to tap into it. Given, its a smaller market base to get into, but there are litterely hundreds of file hosting sites about, and by the looks of it, you wasn't going to offer anything over the others.

He created and sold that for about £1500, now hes crying because he reckons its worth atleast 10x that because of a few 10,000 visitors each day.

Given, that is quite a lot. He either didn't plan it correctly and didn't look into advertising and marketing properly, or he took the first offer he got without doing the research into how much sites sell for and how many visitors they get and so on.

Anyways back to the point NickCarter, the Domain for 2 years and the hosting for a year cost £36, now thats hardly a hole in my pocket, I use the server for random hosting of files which is really handy, so yeh im not totally set on gettin the site finished, but I can go through a learning process before I devote myself to it.

Well i pay 30quid a year for my other "random" hosting where i just plonk random sites and develop clients site, but Trials-Shack is considerably more.

Out of interest, have you looked into how much resources this type of site would take to run effeciently, as well as the cost?

Sooooo anyone with PHP skills?

mat

Try looking on some freelancer forums or something. Think its freelancers.net or something along those lines.

Hey,

Yeh I could go all out an pay some people to sort the site out, but that'd cost money and I doubt I'd take any rewards from it. As for learning PHP; I have tried, but work, college, girlfriend an mates are a higher priority so by the time i get a grip on something I forget by the next time I go back through it.

Anyways, I've had a few people, including you, say that the markets flooded with file hosting sites, but what else do you suggest I do with it?

Cost for running the site aren't a particular problem, I know a guy with a small hosting company in holland, so getting all that sorted wouldn't be too much of a problem as he's really helpful. soo....

Comments welcome :)

https://www.box.net/ is the best example of this kind of site. Standards hugging, accessible, web 2.0 AJAX goodness at it's best.

Quite the work of art if you can appreciate code and design harmony.

yeh I totally agree that site is pretty gorgeous, so mine matching that is going to be almost impossible [with my lack of PHP + flash/actionscript skills].

Need to have a re-think of the master plan :-

box.net probably isn't ajax at its best, but it certainly isn't bad. I still believe web 2.0 is a load of shite though. Its just people trying to coin a technology and/or method which has been around for ages. Don't get me wrong, its a good thing, but just media hype.

If you're lost as to what the hell Alex or i are going on about, wonder over to netvibes, one of the best implimentations of AJAX i've seen, and is a pretty solid example of what web 2.0/ajax means. Basically its turning websites more into an application rather then a flat website.

And hell, i'm using AJAX on Trials-Shack, in its very, very basic form, and plans to use it a lot more when i start coding the rest, so it can't be that hard if i can do it. :P

But yeah, going a bit of track.

Anyway, ideas for a new craze for the internet. Well, there isn't many left. The ideas that are left either require lots of money to get going, or are stupidly hard and require a massive development team.

I would just look at taking an idea already worked on, but make it better, or even involve yourself in an already established project. Trials-Shack is by no means the only one anymore, but hopefully by the time i'm done, it will have features that others wont, therefore pulling in the users.

box.net probably isn't ajax at its best, but it certainly isn't bad.

Indeed, I more just ment the site an design overall, and web 2.0 at it's best - the ajax is simple, and to the point though!

I still believe web 2.0 is a load of shite though. Its just people trying to coin a technology and/or method which has been around for ages. Don't get me wrong, its a good thing, but just media hype.

We will gracefully agree to disagree! Now I don't like the name 'web 2.0' because it prompts that there is some kind of solid and visible divide between web 1.0 and web 2.0... but call it what you like - I follow the concept whole heartedly and understand they key behind the movement. You can, in truth open any website and say 'yeah.. thats web 2.0' or 'no thats not web 2.0', and the web 2.0 sites are always better.

If you're lost as to what the hell Alex or i are going on about, wonder over to netvibes, one of the best implimentations of AJAX i've seen, and is a pretty solid example of what web 2.0/ajax means. Basically its turning websites more into an application rather then a flat website.

Yeah they have great ajax, but most of the trickery is done using the prototype framework and the ajax is just used to store and recover the work of prototype. In reality the ajax there isn't too advanced, just well designed. With the new packs that are popping into the marketplace it's getting easier and easier to push dynamic aps like that. I've been playing with prototype quite a bit in the past month, and I've just baught a book to start learning more advanced ajax - it really is the way forwards.

I think the best ajax around is seen at google (the site that started all the interest really) with things like google maps, google calendar, and now google shares.

Anyway, ideas for a new craze for the internet. Well, there isn't many left. The ideas that are left either require lots of money to get going, or are stupidly hard and require a massive development team.

The big downside of web 2.0 - yes, more elegent, more beautiful, more accessible - but damn, more time for developers! >_<

Regarding alex's references to web2.0 heres my take on the situation...

5.0 - Conclusion

Looking into these so called 'web 2.0' principals i feel that there is a line between the old concepts of web design and these new principals. I am still unsure to if these features should be specifically called web 2.0 or just an advancement of the existing principals. The Internet is involving constantly and the design concepts behind pages have changed many times before and no doubt will change massively in the future as well.

The Internet has already been through many stages of development such as originally it was purely text based. Web 2.0 is more of just a slogan to promote the more advanced features to the common user. I'm sure that to the more advanced user the Internet could be said to be in its 4th or 5th stage of evolution by now.

Personally i feel a web 2.0 has been hyped by companies as a way for them to advertise their next generation products. Every time a company releases a new product it is always promoted as better than the previous. I feel that a lot of companies are using the web 2.0 slogan as a way of showing they are using the latest technology and up to date which attracts customers.

Overall i think yes there is a definite evolution in the design principals put forward in web 2.0 but i do feel that the name web 2.0 is more of a marketing slogan than a new multimedia paradigm being used by many companies to promote the continuous evolution of the Internet.

Slightly off-topic perhaps... when uploading files with PHP, is there an easy(ish) way to test for PHP code in the file? Does the file type parameter check the file itself or just the extension? If it reads it as text I could parse it and look for code...

I'm asking because I'm writing a simple file manager, but don't want the user to be able to upload PHP code. Thinking about it, without any files having .php extension, he/she wouldn't be able to execute or 'include' any PHP code, so I'm probably worrying about nothing...

Thinking about it, without any files having .php extension, he/she wouldn't be able to execute or 'include' any PHP code, so I'm probably worrying about nothing...

(Y)

There is a "File Info" extension for PHP which actually reads the fire correctly and will give you a mime type of PHP even if its file.wmv if you are worried about it.