Changing From Stock To Mod

somberlaine

Hey all,

My friend has started trials again and today got his T-Pro. I currently ride a pashley 26mhz, tried his and what can I say.... it was amazing!!!!! All I can think about now is getting a 20", but I don't really know about the frames. I am at a reasonable standard (7ft gaps, bunny hop up to waist height). Their are two questions that I would like to know;

1) What are the advantages/disadvantages of riding 20" to 26"

2) Within the 20" category, how will the differences in wheelbase length, bottom bracket height and general frame geometry effect the feel of the bike?

When answering please bear in mind that I only ride street and am looking for a bike that mainly helps me do: gaps, bunny hops, bunny hops to rear wheel, and maybe tyre taps.

And then any recommendations for frames/complete bikes. I am now looking to buy and possibly have around £350 to spend on a second hand bike. May spend a bit more if it's worth it. (The information you provide will help me decide which mod to buy in the for sale section of this forum!)

Thanks to all who reply,

Michael

Hey, sounds like you would be best suited on a shorter mod. Something like a t-mag would be great, at a good price too. For the stuff you want to be doing also a higher stem would be better, I find my team stem quite low at times, something like the t-master stem would be alot better. A t-pro would also be worth concidering although they don't last long, i've snapped one in half as i'm sure many other people have.

You definitely want a short bike with a high stem and high BB rise. The high bb will make the bike feel shorter and will allow for easier bunnyhops.

Personally I'd recommend a short GU, Echo Lite or Monty 221 PR with a V!Z or Onza mod stem (or even the rediculously long Try-all one)

Advantages of 20" over 26":

-All the static techniques like sidehops, front wheel ups are much easier

-Easier to throw around

-Higher bunnyhops (you can bend your legs more)

Disadvantages:

-More difficult from a rolling start - pedal ups, taps

-Weaker gaps (you'll need to try harder to gap the 7ft you do now).

-Smaller wheels fall into holes, so it's more difficult to do something from rolling start if you're on an uneven surface.

-Personally I find them really crap on rails comparing to stock bikes

weaker gaps???? are you maaaad!!

mods are the easiest things to gap ever!! its cheating they arew that easy :P

I would say stick with 26" if your riding street, I find trhem are much more suited to it, or maybe even get a 24"? they are awesome!!

for street riding a mod would be my last choice!!

Just read your comments and thank you very much to the both of you for your help; I now know what to look for and will hopefully be purchasing a 20" any day now!!!!!

So I need to be looking for a short wheelbase frame with high bb rise and high rise stem. Does anyone else want to contest this? You mentioned that gaps and rails are harder to do on a 20". This is odd because I found gaps easier on my freinds 20"!!! And how much harder are rails then??

Michael

"I would say stick with 26" if your riding street, I find trhem are much more suited to it, or maybe even get a 24"? they are awesome!!

for street riding a mod would be my last choice!!"

I'm not a very streety rider though - I'm not really into manuals and hitting things with speed like, say, akrigg does. It's just that everything just seemed so much nicer and more natural on 20". As soon as I got on it, I could do almost everything I could on my 26" only it was easier!

but thats bad, the reason I dont like mods is that they are almost too easy, I didnt get any satisfaction from riding them as I knew I wasnt been pushed as hard as I would on a stock. I just felt like I earned my rewards on a stock.

had a go on a friends long levelboss mod the other day, I almost threwup it was so horrible!! :sick:

Dont worry im sure some mod riders will be along surely to give the other side (Y)

If it makes you feel any better im looking at making the change too, im sick of snapping mech hangers and want to try a shorter frame anyway, so im thinking why dont i just try a mod.

Very briefly when I was starting out and i liked it. I am going to try to have another (longer) go before i purchase anything (Y)

Im considering a zona as i dont want anything too short, currently i ride a T-Rex and like it, but sometimes it feels too long (even thought its not that long)

i have a ecto team long. i choose it because i find it far more comfy to ride than a short one.

the extra length seems to have little effect on my riding (i can still bunnyhop etc) but i find ups to front wheel are alot easier. and i can tap it which i cant on shorter ones. the sort ones feel really cramped to mine when i ride them now.

stocks just don't feel right to me. the wheels are always massive! and the low long and silver brigade always feel like bloody boats! i can't seem to get the accuracy on one, and although it maybe 'cheating' i dont see the point in riding something that i find more difficult to progress on?

i cant suggest a bike to you, but all i can say is make sure you ride a few different sizes before you make your mind up. (Y)

oi oi oi!! mods arnt cheating, but almost ;);) I rode one for 2 or more years so I aint totally against them, but I just feel stocks are far superior :P

(I spose its because I come from a mtb background)

dont give me that ali,

i know you hate them with a passion haha

mods are ace go for a koxx if you can aford