Mgb Gt, Thinking About Getting One

Greetings

I'm thinking about getting myself an MGB GT in the near future. As there are none around in Poland it would be nice if anybody, who has had any experience with this model, could write something about it. Obviously I can't make up my mind based on opinions from forum users but any opinions will be of great help.

As for now, I need to know if this car will suit my needs, or if I should get something else (but I deffo want an MG). Probably the most important thing at the moment is if I can get some bikes in. It looks fairly spacious on photos but might not be in reality. Restoration work is not an issue here as we do this on a daily basis and have great MG experience, my dad has had an "A" for over 40 years now and the B is very similar if not identical to the A. So, in other words, all I need to know is if this car will be practical and fun to drive.

Cheers!

My dad has both an MG B and an MG Midget. The MG B was to be restored, but it's going to be too costly, and risky as the floorwell and stuff have to be replaced.

I know you can get boot racks for the Midget, but I think these wouldn't be suitable for bikes.

Couldn't you just get a bike rack to fit on the back?

Both are for sale now, I was supposed to have the Midget as my first car, but insurance is as high as a baby on coke.

Alun

My rents have an MGB, fully restored. It's lush.

They are sweet, sound immense, and look awesome. I can't see you having any issues if you are used to MGs. The book is pretty average, but they spare tyre is uncovered, so you can pack stuff around that for extra storage. It will easily fit a large suitcase in the back, but the suspension might not be up to it.

Have you thought about the outgoing model Mazda MX5? Will be a tad more reliable...

Yes, I was thinking about something along the lines of an MGF or MX5. Yet driving a car like that would make the insurance very expensive. Even though I'm 20, this is still perceived as an irresponsible drivers' age - and that's probably true.

Not only are MG's a family tradition, the MGB is just beautiful! Reliability isn't an issue, we can handle that :)

My dad's got one of these, a V8 version! He's recently had it all refurbed and sprayed and the engine's been tuned very nicely! He's had 2 previously, both were the lame 1.8 versions though :P

I'll try to get hold of some pictures from him later today :)

I really can't see you being able to fit more than one bike in there, and that's if you removed the little bench seat, it's got a pretty large back end but the boot door is quite low so no pokey out handlebars. Definatly a front wheel removal job!

My dad's got one of these, a V8 version! He's recently had it all refurbed and sprayed and the engine's been tuned very nicely! He's had 2 previously, both were the lame 1.8 versions though :P

Is it a Rover V8 engine? I heard they weigh no more than the standard engine and don't affect the roadholding in the slightest.

1.8s are hardly lame, not like the V8s, but unless you've had it modded back to chrome, then it will be a plastic bumper model, which instantly loses any credit. Chrome bumpers are where it's at with ol MGs.

In Practical Classics Magazine a few years ago the was a GT with a cosworth engine in, went like stink.