Internet Problems

Jaffacakes

For the past few days my Internet has been crappy and keeps coming up with "page cannot be displayed" constantly, I can't stay on msn for more than 5 minutes and I bet It's pissing everyone off :P , I cant download anything because it just stops and doesn't start again.

Has this happended to anyone else and how do I mend it?

I am using BT broadband BTW.

edit: Oh, can someone also give me a reason my limewire pro has demoted its self to limewire? :ermm:

Edited by Jaffacakes

Are you on wireless?

And when you say the internet stops working etc, does the icon at in the system tray (bottom right) change at all? Or is it just page errors and MSN? Try using Limewire less.

Are you on wireless?

And when you say the internet stops working etc, does the icon at in the system tray (bottom right) change at all? Or is it just page errors and MSN? Try using Limewire less.

No I don't have wireless.

The icon does a runner unless its terned off but it doesnt show the icon when it fooks up.

I just clicked repair on my internet icon inside network connections and it came up with this:

"Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed:

clearing the DNS cache"

Does this have anything to do with all my internet troubles?

Would a System restore do anything?

Edited by Jaffacakes

I just clicked repair on my internet icon inside network connections and it came up with this:

"Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed:

clearing the DNS cache"

Does this have anything to do with all my internet troubles?

Would a System restore do anything?

nooooo.

dont do that - it probably won't work anyway

reset your modem and or router ( ie. turn off for a few minutes) - that'll probably fix it.

if not -try manually setting your DNS servers in your network connection > TCP/IP settings (you get get the DNS addresses if you type ipconfig /all when connected - or from your ISP) . that should eliminate all confusion.

this sort of thing can be complete cock for ages (for no reason) and then suddenly sort itself out so dont get worried and start reformatting disks or reinstalling windows - theres no point.

I have a similar problem expect not for the last few days for the last few FREAKIN YEARS. I have BT(with a BT router). I have tried different routers (makes no difference) tried different ISP (made no difference) and tried other things (testing lines, distance from the exchange). My latest theory is the wiring in my house is old which is affecting the signal ratio strength. A BT engineer came out once (after about 100hours on the phone (im not joking about the 100 hours bit)) and did nothing and walked off. If its just started happening I wouldnt worry about it but if it continues don’t even BOTHER getting any customer service of BT they are thoroughly useless. I highly doubt your settings are wrong if it worked ok in the past. I wouldn’t try mucking about with them unless you no what you are doing. Also your gay.

EDIT: it took my three times to post this successfully due to my internet. So count yourself lucky

Edited by manguin2001

We have exactly the same problem. Sometimes it happens every 15 mins, sometimes only once a day. I think BT just suck. I just reset my wireless router and it fixes it. I heard it was BT upgrading their stuff or something, but i reckon theres a guy having a bit of a laugh just randomly switching it on and off :shifty:

I'm using BT broadband too and it's f**king up loads for me recently too :(

same here,

mostly just after i upgraded it to 8mb

i reset my router and unplugged everything except my pc, then reconfigured it all and it's been pretty decent since, well, when i say decent, i mean as good as it was before i guess, still restarts every now and again, mostly when i boot up my pc.

same here,

mostly just after i upgraded it to 8mb

i reset my router and unplugged everything except my pc, then reconfigured it all and it's been pretty decent since, well, when i say decent, i mean as good as it was before i guess, still restarts every now and again, mostly when i boot up my pc.

Its because its using a new ADSL max thing! it will re-sync lots for a while while it can learn your most stable speed.

http://www.thephone.coop/residential/adsl/adslmax.html