Uci Comp Pics...

Mark W

Is it just me or ar his brakes round the other way...my back brake is on the left and front brake is on the right... :S

Nice pics there though, looks horrible weather, vince doesnt look too pleased :lol:

Steve

Yeh, most euro riders are the same.

Hmmm, good use of a long, fast lens, but if ever there was a reason for fill flash, this is it! They've processed for the face skin tones, as a result the rest of the photos are overexposed.

Good, could have been better.

Yeah, I noticed the sky was near enough blank on a few of them, but I still kinda like the pic. They do look a little over-exposed, but the angles are pretty cool, and they're nicely clear...

faster lens = lets in more light ? a wider apperature?

im still baffled by iso and f-stops

Many people are baffled by me... >_<

Yeah, a fast lens has nothing to do with the speed it autofocuses or anything like that, it's all about the fastest shutter speed you can use.

The cruicial thing is understanding what a stop is. For each 'stop' difference, half or double to the amount of light is taken in.

For aperture, the larger the aperture (lower the number) the more light is let in. F2.8 lets in twice as much light as F4, which allows twice as much light as F5.6. So going two stops smaller only lets in 1/4 of the light.

For shutter speed, each stop represents half as much time as before. The sequence goes 1/60th, 1/125th, 1/250th.... Again going two stops from 1/60th of a second to 1/250th allows a quarter of the light through.

Each step in ISO is ALSO one stop. So ISO200 at F4 is the same as ISO 100 at F5.6. You make the film/sensor more sensitive so it only needs half the light to capture the same image.

For trials, two things are important. Shutter speed - to limit blur on an image - and aperture to control depth of field and blur out the background. If you want a shallow depth of field (a small number, to blur out the background), and a high shutter speed to freeze the action, then you can vary the ISO to suit. As the sun goes down, to maintain the same settings you'll need to bump up the ISO, otherwise you'll end up with an underexposed image.

God, this is hard to explain. Come find me on MSN and I'll take you through it.