Upgrading Parts Etc

Matt GU

hi new to trials just wandered if by buying better parts for my bike will improve riding and help me learn quicker can any one suggest a few parts wich might help me out for wat riding i have done i have really enjoyed and cant wait to get better and learn more stuff to do gaps drops etc any help would help lol thanks guys and gals

Hi what bike do you have at the moment?

If its a heavy frame then get a new one or if not then get brakes, forks,cranks,bars,stem and headset. Pretty much anything that is trials pacific if it is not at the moment.

Have you got any pictures of you're current bike just it might help to chose which bits are worth changing.

It's easy saying get new frame, forks bar+stem, headset, cranks

He may aswell buy a new bike if he wnts to replace all that

It will cost loads

Just by things as you need them or if you feel you need them to improve that little bit further

Hope i helped

Thurston

Well, like everyone else said. It would be nice to know or see where you are starting from with your bike. But it goes without saying, you should start with a good brake upgrade (if you don't have good ones already). Then I would upgrade the rear wheel or drivetrain, to give you better efficiency.

I hope this helped you in some way or another.

well seeing as you havent said what bike you have, but do state you have a mod in your profile that kinda helps:

brakes-for trials, ideally you want uber responsive and powerful brakes on either end-its far more confidence inspiring than slippy crap-your current brakes may be fine-get them set up properly, and perhaps invest in some decent trials specific pads and get a grind on the rear

freewheel: its more than likely you have 1, seeing as you ride mod, invest in an acs claw(if you dont have 1 already-they are the best cheap freewheel out) or, if you have some extra pennies to spend, it seems tensile freewheels are pretty good for a few quid more-cant really go wrong with either considering the prices

chain: invest in a kmc kool, they are only about a tenner, and are super strong, its 1 less thing to worry you about breaking! it means you can trust putting as much power through the pedals as you like without it snapping and your nuts taking a battering(or your face :( )

rather than change lots of parts, see if you can improve what you have got already, for example:

bar angle-experiment, it can make alot of difference

lever angle-its crazy how man begginers have thier levers horizontal on thier bars

tyre pressure-different grip and bounce levels-i always found on my mod about 15-20 psi suited me well(im 13stone and i never got a pinch :))

make sure everythings tight-its really off putting if your chain is flapping around, or your headset rattles

so yeah, try those before you go and buy all new bits :)

hey all thanks for replys and advice a pic shud be on the way soon i have a planet x frame and forks a magera brake on the back and v on the front wich im going to uprgrade to disc or magera but then i will have to relace rims etc more money but it will be worth it thanks again :D

hi there. welcome to the forum. i rekon that a wider rear rim to improve your stadility on your back wheel, a nice v or magura rear brake and maybe wider bars. all these have helped and improved my riding from when i started. (Y)