How Can I Make My Old Mtb More "trialsy"

bullitt

My bike is a Trek 800 (some lame old mountain bike) but the frame is quite small so its not that bad for trials.

I have bought some trials bars for it and the brakes are quite quite good but it need something else doing to it to make it more trialsy.

Here's a pic: http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g220/bul...um/CIMG1284.jpg

Despite what these people above are saying, if you just want to play with trials for a while to see if you like it, ditch the 2 large rings and get a bashplate, and rigid forks would help a lot too.

Should be an alright starter bike then (Y)

Despite what these people above are saying, if you just want to play with trials for a while to see if you like it, ditch the 2 large rings and get a bashplate, and rigid forks would help a lot too.

Should be an alright starter bike then (Y)

How on earth is he going to be able run a bashplate. :S

Unless you ment a bashring.?

Also if he does trials on that bike, it is going to be hard for him and also it will give him a bad view on the sport.

Cheers !

Also if he does trials on that bike, it is going to be hard for him and also it will give him a bad view on the sport.

Cheers !

Not really, everyone has to start somewhere

I used to love trying to learn to backhop on my old Scaracen X-ile :)

Before all you "whizzkids" came along with your t-pros, pretty much everyone

rode an xc bike with a few mods for trials... If you just want to have a dabble that bike

will be fine, just get a bash ring and rigid forks.

When my bikes fooked i ride trials on a decent raliegh xc bike with judy forks, it

really dosent ride too badly.

A poor workman blames his tools...

Edited by adamtrials

Wow :blink: that's erm...Ghetto,as harsh as it sounds...despite how 'everybody' used to ride old mtb and xc frames.....that's because there wasn't a choice,now there is sh*t loads of choice.It wil be much better to just buy a new bike mate.

zoo baby!

You could always steal some weedy lilttle chav's da bomb or shogun gimp..see loads of kn0b heads riding them round here,probably a bit stolen

zoo baby!

Edited by zoo

brakes, bars, rigid forks, single speed. if you are seriously thinking about getting into trials you might aswell buy a trials specific bike, it will be soooo much easier to learn on and you can get them very cheep off ebay and hear. (Y)

looks kool to me mate, should be fine for now to learn on, i do suggest a longer stem to give you more leverage though, maybe just the two outer rings on the cranks as a bash guard for now :P maybe grind your rim or use some tar to give your back brake abit more hold (Y):)

I will selll you a koxx levelboss frame for £45 posted :-

For Sale/Wanted/Swap threads are not allowed in New Members Chat. tut tut

Thats pointed at the one who has bein g validated.

If you want to discuss it further one of you add each other to msn. (Y)

Cheers !

p.s - I am not trying to be a moderator or nothing.

The debate seems to be: mess around on you bike (buy ridged forks, a bash ring and change the gearing) OR buy a new bike.

For a start, MTBs are *not* made for trials. I've been messing around on: my saracen X-ile and my old man's MTB. The saracen X-ile is broken: cranks, back wheel, forks and chain ring. My old man's bike is slowly heading towards retirement.

Yes, you could replace the forks, the wheels, hubs, tires, gears, frame and add a bash ring... you might as well buy a second hand t-pro off ebay for that money.

I went to my local bike shop, (action bikes ***) and showed them my bike, asking how I could trials it up. The conclusion after much discussion: "You could put 500 pounds into this bike, but you'd be burning 250 - you can polish a turd, but at the end of the day a shiny turd is still a sh*t".

My advice: buy a T-bird off ebay for about 150, spend the summer on that. If you like trials, sell the bike for 100 and buy something shiny and awesome, if you don't: sell the bike for 100 and you've only lose 50 quid, and found out weather you like trials.

Just my opinion, but I think its the most risk free.

Scazz