I Have A ?

Thurston

Yeah going from a king to an el cheapo isn't something i'd have thought you'd be inclined to do.

My old forks were so cut down it only clamped using the bottom bolt, i just made sure the bottom bolt was done up very tight indeed and that the top cap bolt was tight as well.

That was untill my mate had the brilliant idea of bodging it. What we did was get another piece of steerer tube and cut it to the correct size so that there was enough steerer tube up the inside of the stem clamp.... so the piece was about 3/4 of an inch long.

We then placed this piece of steerer tube into the stem while it was attached to the rest of the steerer tube in the frame and tightened up the stem bolts. The fantatsicly unusual next bit was to carefully hammer a second star fangled nut into this new piece of steerer tube so there was a star nut in both the new piece and the steerer thats attached to the forks. Once it was in place we tightened the topcap bolt up through both star fangled nuts and is seemed to last very well indeed. Well the forks snapped at the bottom of the steerer before the bodge broke ;)

Weird, I was gonna suggest that before, but I thought the threads on the star-nuts might mean the bolt wouldn't actually line up properly with the two of them. Does the top bit of steerer just spin when you tighten it or does it just not matter?

insert peice from steel tube that slotted in the steere as the bottom was machined down, then it was welded all around the edge and made smooth like normal. Then drilled the middle out
Anybody able to tell me if the old Ashton forks (with 24/26" mounts) have a steel steerer tube?

Need to get it lengthened/replaced really, so if it is and I can find someone nice to do it for me... :-

I had this problem with some forks I bought off a mate, but you can buy steerer tube extensions!!!!!!!!!

They screw into your current star fitting, then you knock another star fitting into the extension and voila, longer steerer!!!! They're about 2 inches so you might need to cut your cuttent one down a bit first but they work a treat!

I'll see if I can find out where you can get them, got mine from my local bog standard bike shop!

Dave

I had this problem with some forks I bought off a mate, but you can buy steerer tube extensions!!!!!!!!!

They screw into your current star fitting, then you knock another star fitting into the extension and voila, longer steerer!!!! They're about 2 inches so you might need to cut your cuttent one down a bit first but they work a treat!

I'll see if I can find out where you can get them, got mine from my local bog standard bike shop!

Dave

Cool, thanks for that, ill have a search for them, lucky you having a bike shop that keeps things like that in, mine doesn't and they take forever to get things in