V Brake Vs Maggies

seann

depends on you set-up eg. boosters, grind etc.

If done well, yes v brakes can give power close to maguras, but it all depends on how well its all set up. But personally I think its easier to set up a powerful magura than a powerful v brake

Well it might do it might not do. This all depends on how you have set it up but if set up correctly it could probally give around the same amount of power. Felix Mucke uses a back v brake i think (correct me if i'm wrong) and his grips as well as a maggie!

Hope i've helped!

Yup v brakes can be just as good as a magura aslong as you take the time to set them up properly, and get some good pads like heatsinks, and get a rim grind. There was a picture of Felix Mucke a while back and it showed him rite on the edge of a wall where most brakes would slip but his V kept him on the rear wheel, showing the power that v brakes can have.

In my opinion i prefer using maguras though as i find they have more modulation and once they are set up the only thing you do have to do to them is bleed them every so often.

Edited by huck_it

In my opinion i prefer using maguras though as i find they have more modulation and once they are set up the only thing you do have to do to them is bleed them every so often.

I agree, much prefer the modulation and lack of maintenance of maggies although I have seen V's with the same power.

depends on you set-up eg. boosters, grind etc.

If done well, yes v brakes can give power close to maguras, but it all depends on how well its all set up. But personally I think its easier to set up a powerful magura than a powerful v brake

(Y)

You can get a v-brake as powerful as maggie, but it's alot more effort.

im struggling to see how people can claim v brakes are more effort to setup? they are incredibly easy, you must be doing it wrong-simply install them, set pad spacers up so the arms are parrallel when the brake is fully locked, pull the cable through and tighten, then loosen the allen bolt on each pad, pull the brake on and line the pads up-keep holding the brake and tighten the pads up, this ensures they hit flat everytime :) then a quick twizzle of the tension screws so that the arms hit at the same time=easy peasy :)

ermmm thats all i have to do to mine, with the occasional twist of the barrel like you would on a tpa on a magura.......now whats so time consuming about that? maguras however (espeacially the 2 bolt ones) are far more fiddly to set up, as you gotta try and get the pads setup straight (the coin trick seems to be the best) and working around a booster makes things 10x worse + they seem to come out of line when people knock them after falling off, just from my experience, far more hassle for no more gain-every ride i go to people complain about how thier magura is shit, and they arent getting enough power, whereas with v brake users i hear nowt....but its personal preference i guess

so saying v brakes take more time to be setup is silly, cos they are far far far easier :P

(Y)

You can get a v-brake as powerful as maggie, but it's alot more effort.

why is it more effort? imo vee brakes are no harder than maguras to setup, in fact i think they are easier (but that may just because I have had more practise with them :)

Like with maguras, one of the most important parts is finding the right pads for you!

Before i broke my leg, i pulled my v-brake system entirely apart down the skatepark, as it wasnt returning right. Took all of about 5 minutes, to pull it apart, identify that my spring had moved and put it back together and set it up. Im not joking, even a complete novice like me can set up my back brake, so that its super powerful. I would personally like to see you lot with maggies pull them apart, down the skatepark and put it back together in 5 minutes. My included setting up all the cable and stuff, so that means you lot have to bleed it aswell :P. Basically im saying that my v-brake is easier to setup than your maggies.

Love Lee xxx :wub:

(but that may just because I have had more practise with them :)

More than likely. The only thing you have to do with maguras is align the pistons properly (equi-distant and square to the rim) With v brakes you have to do the same with the pad bit, then ensure the spring is tensioned correctly using the lug screw, then get the right amount of cable through so the callipers don't rub (by which time, you'd probably have to re-adjust the pads :P )

I've been running the new heatsink reds with the alum backings for mag's just over 2 months now,

and the standards of them are great. I've also fitted a new fork on the front so i can test the v'brake heatsink pads and they work just the same. I used to run koolstop reds which were so shit and could never get any grip with. But with these pads they will never fail you, in dry or even wet weather.With or without a grind, these pads are the best around, and they last for ages.

More than likely. The only thing you have to do with maguras is align the pistons properly (equi-distant and square to the rim) With v brakes you have to do the same with the pad bit, then ensure the spring is tensioned correctly using the lug screw, then get the right amount of cable through so the callipers don't rub (by which time, you'd probably have to re-adjust the pads :P )

nope, once the pads are setup, they dont need to be touched again (unless on a horizontal dropout where the wheel may get moved back and fourth) even if you fiddle with the tension screws or barrel adjuster which again is a process of seconds...

hi i think that v-brakes are just as easy as maguras to set up. But personally i would prefer to use maguras becasuse i have always used them and when i tryed out a byk with v-brakes i didn't find them as powerfull. I have never used a v-brake on a grind so it could be just as powerfull.

thanks for readin my opinion

Scott