Headset Loose?

zanneslover

Hi guys

This is probably something really obvious but I'll ask any way. My brother has a standard spec Onza T-pro 2005. All original parts. Of late his forks seem to be loose. When holding the front brake and pushing forward there is some give. Not a flexing, cracked something give, but a "You idiot, haven't tightened a bolt" kind of give. I have loosened up every bolt on the stem and headset and re tightened but there is still this give. Does anyone know what I have missed here as I can't see it being too safe for my bro to ride on.

Any help would be great guys.

Alan

I thought that's what it was but I have done that and it hasn't made any difference. Any other ideas?

if you've definitely done what the judge said, try putting a little spacer in on top of the stem and bolting the topcap down on top of that.

if that doesn't work then the headset's probably facked

the bearings have probably gone, this is what happened to me a week ago.

if you get the bearings out, the ball bearings have probably all come out of position. you can either bodge it up by rebuilding it (very frustrating and fiddly) or buy some new bearings. i have some fro sale. but check if it is the bearings first.

thanks

John Kan

Is the star fangled nut pulling up? happened to my mate, buy a new one, whack it in and that could sort it.

Rather than me start a new thread I will nick yours slightly, I have a t-rex we that gay internal headset and it locks up every now and then, I have to pull with all my might to turn and then it will free up again after riding, what the john is goin on?

Right then;

1. Check to make sure that the top of the fork tube IS'NT hitting on the headset screw cap, obviously, if it is you won't be able to tighten it and it will be forcing your starnut out. If this is the case, cut the fork tube down or use more spacers.

2. Dismantle the headset and check bearings, when you rock it back and forth, does the cone of the headset move aswell? If so, this may indicate a flared frame (very, very unlikely though), a bent/warped headset (likely) or that the rubber 'seal' part in the headset cone has worn (most likely).

Loose hub bearings?

Moving pads?

Loose Maguras?

Is it making any noises? Rougly, how much play is there in the forks? Is there side play aswell as back and forth?

Right then;

1. Check to make sure that the top of the fork tube IS'NT hitting on the headset screw cap, obviously, if it is you won't be able to tighten it and it will be forcing your starnut out. If this is the case, cut the fork tube down or use more spacers.

2. Dismantle the headset and check bearings, when you rock it back and forth, does the cone of the headset move aswell? If so, this may indicate a flared frame (very, very unlikely though), a bent/warped headset (likely) or that the rubber 'seal' part in the headset cone has worn (most likely).

Loose hub bearings?

Moving pads?

Loose Maguras?

Is it making any noises? Rougly, how much play is there in the forks? Is there side play aswell as back and forth?

yes, the cone of the headset moves as well for me. I checked the little rubber seal and it has broken along the circumference of it but it is all still joined.

I think my star flange may have moved.

yes, the cone of the headset moves as well for me. I checked the little rubber seal and it has broken along the circumference of it but it is all still joined.

I think my star flange may have moved.

Ideally, the star should be about 1/2inch - 1 inch in, best way its to get the cap with the bolt in it, screw it into nut, and then bang it down with a hammer until the cap touches the top of the stem. This will give a good indication.

I bet is the headset is just knackered. How old is it? I advice the Cane Creek headset, you can get it from Tarty for about 25 quid. Seems a lot more robust than the onza one. Unfortunatly, the onza range has an internal headset, so we are pretty screwed for choice and 99% of internal headsets are the same :(

Edited by anzo

Ideally, the star should be about 1/2inch - 1 inch in, best way its to get the cap with the bolt in it, screw it into nut, and then bang it down with a hammer until the cap touches the top of the stem. This will give a good indication.

I bet is the headset is just knackered. How old is it? I advice the Cane Creek headset, you can get it from Tarty for about 25 quid. Seems a lot more robust than the onza one. Unfortunatly, the onza range has an internal headset, so we are pretty screwed for choice and 99% of internal headsets are the same :(

Hmm ok, thanks.

the headset is about 4 months old. im only a beginner so im not doing anything 'big'

Hmm ok, thanks.

the headset is about 4 months old. im only a beginner so im not doing anything 'big'

if you ride an open headset when it's loose it'll die from the vibration - they really need the support of being properly tightened.

when you fit the new one, go out and roll the bike around on something flat for a bit so everything beds in and settles then retighten before you do anything fun with it.