Bike Locks..

eskimo

I'm going to buy myself a nice and safe lock this week. But I don't know which one to get or where to get it from. Who sells them at a reasonable price?

I was looking for a cable or chain style with key lock. Although they seem to be heavy, does anyone have a lightweight one that is easy to carry? Where did you buy it from?

I haven't had any of my bikes stolen yet. *touches wood*. And don't plan on it either!

Mines pretty light and super-strong. Unfortunatly its unbranded, but look around and you'll find a good one. The quality of mine is testimont to the fact that you don't need to splash loads on Kryptonite or and bib name locks in order to get something strong and safe.

Mines very similar to this one

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=8481

CRC have got a big range though so check aroung it.

bike lock ? that would imply leavin the bike without someone watching it

I DONT THINK SO

i dont trust any locks the can all be cut if you try hard enuf when im not

on it one of my mates are watching in or its locked up safely inside my house

(i refuse to put it in the garage cos i broke into it real easly once they arent

as safe as they look me thinks ) if you insist on locking it locking it do outside

a police station or sumthing. damn those theiving little b*****d who steal

peoples pride and joys ! :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Edited by hicks

(i refuse to put it in the garage cos i broke into it real easly once they arent

as safe as they look me thinks )

Yeah most garage doors can be easily broken into using a spade...

I can do it rather quickly :shifty:

Padlocked sheds are probably better, but on the part where the padlock is attached make

sure there are no exposed screw heads otherwise it could be a simple matter of unscrewing

a few screws to get into the shed :o My shed came like that and loads of others i have see have too.

We upgraded to a type that incorperates a metal screw head cover that is a lot safer.

I think it was some of the older Kryptonite models that could be picked very quickly using a bic pen?

Not good...

bike lock ? that would imply leavin the bike without someone watching it

I DONT THINK SO

i dont trust any locks the can all be cut if you try hard enuf when im not

on it one of my mates are watching in or its locked up safely inside my house

as safe as they look me thinks ) if you insist on locking it locking it do outside

a police station or sumthing. damn those theiving little b*****d who steal

peoples pride and joys ! :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Yeah I'm thinking that way myself these days. I left my bike with what I thought was a good lock and came back to find it had been cut through - luckily a security guard saw and stopped the thieves before they got the bike.

I think 'D' locks are the best though.

(Y)

We have a eletric garage door and the motor is the lock you have to push against a motor to open the door and i have a crap bike that i use to go to the shop on so i'm lucky and never leave my bike unattended when out on a ride.

I just never lock my bike. I've heard too many sad storys of people locking their expensive bikes somewhere, and then either people cutting through the locks or just some little **** coming along with a few allen keys etc. and nicking parts off them!

I if i'm going to leave my bike anywhere I leave it with a large animal or one of my mates. B)

and...

Yeah most garage doors can be easily broken into using a spade...

I can do it rather quickly

I'm quite scared haha

Also i could say something rather revealing about my padlocked shed, but i'm not going to do that because I would wake up tomorrow with no bike. All i will say is - their not as good as they look.

Cheers

Edited by Mr_Tensile

Also i could say something rather revealing about my padlocked shed, but i'm not going to do that because I would wake up tomorrow with no bike. All i will say is - their not as good as they look.

Cheers

I would think any decent theif could easily smash a shed open with a crowbar if its wood,

however mine has glass windows with about £3000 worth of RC helicopter behind them...

Another fun thing i've found is most of these "safe boxes" for putting money and stuff in that schools

and places use can be opened in about 5 seconds with a few simple hand movements. :rolleyes:

I used to love annoying my teachers by getting their valuables out, shutting the box and putting them on their desk while their backs were turned...

Edited by adamtrials

I finally got a lock. £15 chain lock, heat treated and all that sort of stuff.

However I know what you mean when not trusting a lock. I don't like to leave my bike unless it's guarded by a mate. The reason for the lock is when I go into Tesco for some food when I'm by myself. Even though I'm in there for 5 minutes I still don't like leaving the bike alone.

People with one allen key could take most of your bike home with them which ain't good!

So I think the rule is, never leave the bike alone for more than 10 minutes even if it's locked up. Only if it's guarded you may take your time to choose which roll/ sandwich/s you want.

Cheers guys.

insure the bike.

you will never find a lock that stops a professional bike thief.

My dog. I hardly ever go anywhere without him, he is very, very well trained and will sit by my bike if i go into the shop or anything, i take him on almost every ride i go on, he dont have a lead or anything, but he will kill people that go near what he considers his things, (me, bike, house, quad bike ect.)

Best bike lock ever :D German shepard