2 Hard Drives, Is One Primary And One Secondar Or

JTM

I have a 70gb hard drive in my pc

Just installed a 200gb samsung drive. Putting the jump lead o it to SL for slave

In bios its come up on its own as primary slave? Is this correct or should I have it as secondary primary? Problem is, it shows up in device manager as working fine but its not in my computer etc so i cant use it?

You have 2 ide sockets on your motherboard. One will be listed as primary and the other secondary. Each slot then has a cable with 2 devices on.

So if both hard drives are on one ide cable and its ide socket 1 they will be

Primary Master

Primary Slave

In other words yes thats fine.

As long as its showing up in the bios it sounds like it just needs formatting in windows. To do that do the following.

Right Click My Computer > Manage > Storage > Disk Management

Then make a new NTFS partion on the unallocated space.

they will never be quite what they say on them, for instance i was working with an 80gb harddrive today, trying to connect up a 2tb storage centre, thats 2000gb, so 4 500gb in two compartment thingys (can remember the names, they were all from netgear.co.uk so whatever). anyways it is never quite 80gb, this one was around 75 for some reason. but 30gb is absurd for an 80gb harddrive.

the thing im trying to install is a netgear sc101 if anyone cares lol.

Edited by ash-kennard

they will never be quite what they say on them, for instance i was working with an 80gb harddrive today, trying to connect up a 2tb storage centre, thats 2000gb, so 4 500gb in two compartment thingys (can remember the names, they were all from netgear.co.uk so whatever). anyways it is never quite 80gb, this one was around 75 for some reason. but 30gb is absurd for an 80gb harddrive.

the thing im trying to install is a netgear sc101 if anyone cares lol.

Yea it does that for the file system. I think, bitch slap me if im wrong

Drives never show up in windows as as big as the manufacturers claim them to be. Drive manufactuers count one megabyte as 1000kb, whereas windows counts one megabyte as 1024kb. Thats the reason..

As for JTM, there should be some software around the samsung website that fixes the problem, it'll probably be in the FAQs.