Battle Of The Freewheels

mods

Anyone know how things stand with warranty on the freewheels?

If I was going to be paying £40-50 for a freewheel I'd want some sort of comeback if it exploded - or at least a way to repair it without buying a whole new one. Otherwise I'd rather spend out the £85 for an eno cos at least I can replace bits if they snap off.

actually - what sort of warranty is there on an eno? - i paid full whack from sideways cycles n everything

I don't know what the warranty with W.I. is, but the spare bits aren't super expensive to buy. I know the Tensile's covered by the 2-year crash replacement scheme, so you'll get a half-price replacement when your's shits the bed. Don't know about Try-All, but I think it'd probably be either their usual 3- or 6-month manufacturing defect warranty? I think that's their deal with parts anyway, although I'm not 100%. Should say on Cleanbikes site or something...

shallower ratchet = slightley decreased life ye? so the tryall wont last long :P

when will the rear version be available mike? i really want one.

Yes, when using the same materials/manufacturing methods.

Is the fact that mike specifically indicated that one freewheel is for street use and the other for comp use an indication of the strength? with such a minimal price differance i'd say it could be the case, but christ 96 Ep's for that money is fantastic.

No-one can bitch about not having enough trials specific freewheel's now.

The competition one is a whole 15g lighter...

And we have spare parts for the freewheel if you like:

IPB Image

I'm going a bit funny in the head. I keep thinking "pawls and springs and balls in rings" and wonder if there shouldn't be a chorus of "these are a few of my favourite things"

Edited by BikeDotStuffAtOnzaDotCom

From what I can understand, it's called a competition freewheel just 'cos you (apparently) need more clicks for comps, as opposed to it being single use or whatever.

Im not slating it, but with the price differance, i'd imagine that the 'comp' one would be much the same as the 'street' one just with more ratshit's, going by mat's theorey, that'd make it weaker than the street.

Obviously the differance is very minimal, and no doubt now that i've said it onza have, or will have, these treated in some way in order to increase their strength and hardness.

Mind you, I find it hard to believe that you'd remove a whole 15g just from removing ratshit material.

Im not slating it, but with the price differance, i'd imagine that the 'comp' one would be much the same as the 'street' one just with more ratshit's, going by mat's theorey, that'd make it weaker than the street.

Obviously the differance is very minimal, and no doubt now that i've said it onza have, or will have, these treated in some way in order to increase their strength and hardness.

Mind you, I find it hard to believe that you'd remove a whole 15g just from removing ratshit material.

I dunno, I was just thinking that maybe they played it safe as it were with the 60click one and realised they could add a few more ratchets (or ratshits? :P) without losing strength? Bearing in mind the 60 has 20, the 96 32 and the 108 has 36? So they should be OK I s'pose...

Actually the first prototype 96 was around over 7 months ago, long before we began production of the 60 so the theory is wrong there. We are now approaching 2000 sales worldwide, at this stage with only the 60. We are getting OE manufacturers enquiries and it is shaping up as a BRITISH success story. So far I can confirm tht despite some negative postings just after release, we have so far not received one freewheel back here allegedly faulty and I can confirm the same situation in our other export countries. Our patient development strategy seems to be paying off.

well thats a sales pitch if ever i saw one.. but it has worked :P

I think my money will be going with the 96 click.. i'm a pretty light guy and have never broken any components.. so i don't think strength will really be an issue with me.

i'd rather buy two 96 click tensiles than 1 eno as well.. and it would still be cheaper :huh:

I'm really interested in this thread at the moment.

I've tried to get my W.I. ENO off my stock hub to put on my mod cranks. I took it to my bike shop and they can't do it :angry: . My ENO worked really well on my stock but now with all these other freewheels comming out, i'm thinking about more engagement points.

I would pay the £50 for the Tryall freewheel, but mentioned above, there is more chance of skipping. Has anyone tried one for a month or so? If so could i be pointed in the direction of the review.

I've had very little (really no problems) with my eno, would this be stronger than the tryall?

I was thinking about this new tensile, but will it be much stronger? I will be riding street btw.

cheers

Neil :sleeping:

I'm really interested in this thread at the moment.

I've tried to get my W.I. ENO off my stock hub to put on my mod cranks. I took it to my bike shop and they can't do it :angry: . My ENO worked really well on my stock but now with all these other freewheels comming out, i'm thinking about more engagement points.

I would pay the £50 for the Tryall freewheel, but mentioned above, there is more chance of skipping. Has anyone tried one for a month or so? If so could i be pointed in the direction of the review.

I've had very little (really no problems) with my eno, would this be stronger than the tryall?

I was thinking about this new tensile, but will it be much stronger? I will be riding street btw.

cheers

Neil :sleeping:

Tensile

ive gone form an eno to a tensile

and oh my what can i say

i can feel no differnce between the two and if anything i prefer the tensile.

its allot stiffer and is louder.

i just prefer it.

plus for the price id buy the tensile any day.

I say get one.

:)

CBProductions said he made Will's Try-All skip twice in one go on his bike, but I don't know about any more from that from Will.

The Eno's still theoretically the strongest, seeing as it's got a thicker driveshell, the pawls and all the internals are machined really well, and the sealed bearing gives the driveshell more stability.

I'm trying out the 96-click Tensile now, and they're nice, but I don't think anyone needs the 96 or 108 click freewheels. I mean, when I went from a Dicta to an Eno, my gapping instantly became a load better (about 2ft in one day), and my riding in general became a lot more precise. There's not that same jump in performance after you get over the 60-70 click mark, basically. It's nice to have all that click, but you don't need it.

The downside to the Eno though is just that you've gotta keep on top of it, in terms of maintaining it. The grease oozes out from the bearings and onto the pawls which is a bit of hassle. Easy to strip, but it's something I'd rather not have to do, which is why I'm thinking of selling me Eno to go for a "proper" Tensile.

Tensile

ive gone form an eno to a tensile

and oh my what can i say

i can feel no differnce between the two and if anything i prefer the tensile.

its allot stiffer and is louder.

i just prefer it.

plus for the price id buy the tensile any day.

I say get one.

:)

Price is not too much of an issue as i'm working for a year while staying at home.

onza boy i do wonder if it was just that the freewheel was new or that there really was a problem with the freewheel.

Is there ANYONE who has a proper review on the freewheel??

Edited by Clownbike

The BT freewheel is a blatant copy of our Tensile freewheel and as such is taking advantage of the many hours of development work which we have put into the project. It clearly infringes our registered design ( it does not matter how many teeth you knock out - it is still 20 tooth spline) and we have already taken steps to try and ensure that it does not reach production.

The BT freewheel is a blatant copy of our Tensile freewheel and as such is taking advantage of the many hours of development work which we have put into the project. It clearly infringes our registered design ( it does not matter how many teeth you knock out - it is still 20 tooth spline) and we have already taken steps to try and ensure that it does not reach production.

Good good, the robbing basatrds!

Kick em in the teeth (Y)

Copying does, in fairness, go on in all aspects of the bike industry, but the way they've tried to copy something which has blatantly been protected seems pretty stupid. No doubt Rav'll post up about how they had the designs for the TensileBT freewheel from 2000 or something...