My Bodge Of The Week

mike425

Well the other day the seals started leaking on my avid juicy 7 caliper, so thats gone away for a warranty, but i didnt want to miss a weekends riding. I found lieing around in the garage a hope mini(the older one) caliper and when i looked at it all the fittings seals etc were the same as the avid. So ive basically attatched the avid juicy lever to the mini caliper and too my amazement the brake is miles more powerful than with the juicy caliper on! but with the added bonus of the hope now having more lever adjustment!

The brake is now perfect for trials, its not very good for anything else as its giving a very on/off feel. Now this got me thinking, ive heard a lot of people complaining about the new mini trials brake having no lever adjustment, so im going to see if i can borrow a mini trials caliper from my mates shop and run it on the juicy lever and see if theres any improvement.......Hope i havent bored you too much folks and sorry if everyone already new about it, i didnt find anything with the search function!

mike

Actually sounds really interesting... so you can adjust the TPA as you would with the juicy lever normally?

The real test will be the test of time and seeing what it's like in about 2 months when it has had a good hammering. Keep us posted as to how long it lasts and if it keeps its performance to the level it is at now.

Good job they both run on dot 4 then isn't it. Might be worth finding out the compression ratios of the lever and caliper if you get bored, you could do some physics between your set-up and that of the original hope/avid ? Or is it getting late ? I can't tell...

flush the system with dot if both can handle it, other than that thee ratios must be different so watch the hose doesnt pop, if it doesnt, i advise everyone does this.

the hose will be under the same pressure, as all it experiences is the force thats put in at the lever, so it'll stay the same...

good luck with the brake, but i wouldn't go down any big hills just incase something overheats n stuff...

hmmm, might invest in a mono trial caliper for my formula oro... :-

They both run dot 4.1 anyway i think.....Im thinking it might pop the seals off the caliper at some point, but i arent really fussed, i never use the hope caliper anway.

To the person who asked, yep, the tpa on the lever does still work just as it did on the juicy which surprised me the most. I can remember Clive leeson once gave me a magura with hope lever on to try and i ran that for ages without popping the seals so it might last a while!