Pads

Mr Dave

Hey

Used koxx pads brown red n blue, for some time now, blues have gone poo, so would like some more.

looked at the heatsink ones, and saw the new cnc backing.

thoughts on thism worth the price ? ect ect

any other options for pads ? recomendations?

thanks Dave :)

for use with a grind btw oh and rear maggie

Koxx pads are only the same price as echo and zoo, there seems to be a real hate relationship against proper bike companies with some people on the forum. You get what you pay for when it comes to koxx, i know for a fact anyone could revert to a set of koxx browns and they will work fine for trials and theres been a few other pads they have released due to rider preference. Yet when it comes to the home brand style pads it seems like we end up with nothing really that special. Heatsink pads never seem to have come out of testing, yet they are being sold? whats the point. Even now steve has ended up selling coust pads in cnc backings. Whatever happened to the dream of finding the ultimate trials pad? ive had a go on a friends coust pad set up and i really dont rate them.

If your going to get any set of pads get plaz they are actually well tested and priced like that for a reason. There are also new blue pads coming along soon so take a look at the site: http://www.plazmaticbrakes.com/index.php they have a well decent testing rig.

I like koxx greens with a decent grind and nicely set up pads the brake is perfect no need to shell out for thease cnc'ed backings.

Koxx pads are some of the best priced and preformance pads on the market :).

Edited by Swize

Hi,

I usually don't post in threads about brake pads, but I couldn't let this one from Spacemunkee go unresponded too!

Naturally I'd like to clear up some things before they become accepted as word :)

Heatsink pads never seem to have come out of testing, yet they are being sold? whats the point.

All my pads are definately out of testing! Previous experiments with compounds were done with involvement of many riders on the forum so was more public than for other pads. I now stick with two different Heatsink compounds, one for the plastic backings and one for CNCed alu backings. This is due to some discoveries I made about the differences on the braking system of running the flexible and more rigid backings.

Since I first made a pair of pads over 2 years ago I've never stopped asking the question of whether my pads could be improved. It's been a passion of mine and I spent alot of time and money just getting started including the period where I was effectively a charity offering riders £1 each for their backings coupled with an extra low price, as I initially hand cut pads. It was just the buzz of doing something useful for riders which kept me going during this time before I made the financial commitment to getting some proper mould tooling made.

When you're considering brake pad design for performance, it's easy to focus mainly on the effect of the brake compound being used and weigh up alternatives of compound/hardness/geometry. Over time my understanding of all aspects of what makes the whole brake pad a success has gradually been improved. Some of these aspects requiring attention off the top of my head include; frictional grip, abrasive wear life, the pad geometry for a good fit into the backing, strength of bond between the two parts, factors affecting the mechanical robustness of the backing.

The whole glueing process involves more than you may expect and is one area where I have made huge improvements overtime to reach where I am now. For an excellent bond it's important to get the optimum selection of substance and method of application for degreaser and adhesive. I had a break through recently in understanding why some pads had worn quicker than expected, and the degreasing method has been improved radically at the expense of more labour time, to ensure that the pad is sufficiently degreased for a strong adhesive bond but not over exposed which has a softening and weakening effect.

Even now steve has ended up selling coust pads in cnc backings.

This is to compliment the range of pads I sell by adding a top of the range option for riders wanting arguably the very best set-up money can buy. People love the green coust compound but there was definately room for improvement on their own version of plastic backing with the o-ring held tentatively in place with a dab of superglue. I bought a pair to try and the o-ring came away the first time I removed the pad from the magura slave after pushing it onto the slave to see how it held just a second later. I think that I've answered a real rider demand by marrying up the 3 backing types I use, 2 of which are my CNCed backings, with the admired Coust material.

Talking historically, having satisfied my intial goal of offering a better value (performance/cost) magura pad to riders (the blue pads in plastic powerpad backings), I then added the pimpy and more rigid CNCed backed pads complimented with the red pads as the higher up pad in the range. The Coust pads in all their versions (powerpad backings/ CNCed magura backings / CNCed Vee backings) then slot in at the top of the product range tree. They naturally have to cost more due to the additional price of buying the pads from the Coustellier family. Also there is time labour involved manually cutting the pads.

Please don't forget that in the very rare case of any problems with Heatsink pads, replacements are sent out with no quibble. I want all riders to be 100% happy with my pads!

Steve

Heatsink pads never seem to have come out of testing, yet they are being sold? whats the point.

I've used coust's in plastic backing's which didn't come from steve, and coust's in CNC backing's which did. The quality of the cut and such is second to none with steve, where as I was pretty appauled at the state of the coust's which came out of the plastic backing's.

With the Blue pads, they are moulded rather than cut, and are a perfect fit for plastic backing's, and can be cut to fit the CNC backing's something which steve will do for you as far as im aware. Again, excellent build quality.

With regard to plazmatic and heatsink, I've used plaz pad's on the front of my bike since forever, indeed, their wear rate is basically non-existant, but they just don't have the bite I require on the back, they seem to be better for modulation really......

And to get this part straight, I was pointing out that if Koxx had been the only company to make and sell the backings, they would have charged very very high prices, like their rims last year for example, £40 a pop, ten quid more than a hog because they came in more colours and didn't have eyelets.

What I am saying is the CNC backing are a reasonable price for what they are and the fact theyr'e unique to Heatsink. Koxx would use the lack of competition to charge very high.

Why even discuss it, it's a non-issue, there is competition, and koxx havn't brought out CNC backing's(or have they????).

How do you know they would use the lack of competition to charge very high? There is a lack of competition for freewheels with 109 EP's but they are sold at £50....

Edited by jake1516

Why even discuss it, it's a non-issue, there is competition, and koxx havn't brought out CNC backing's(or have they????).

How do you know they would use the lack of competition to charge very high? There is a lack of competition for freewheels with 109 EP's but they are sold at £50....

mr savage had some CNC backings on his magura when he came to fort william earlier in the year......

Because Koxx know the Try-all is not superior to the eno quality wise whereas it is roughly the same as the Tensile but with more E.P, so abit added on. If there was only ACS out they would charge double that, same principal with Viz! I think, £65 or something for a rear screw on hub, where does the £20 go over a DMR Revolver? Colour, althought the Viz!, Echo etc etc all have terrible bearings, same with the Koxx BB.

Koxx will try to rip you if they get the chance, i'm pointing out that Heatsink won't, I didn't mean to start WW3

Neither Koxx nor BT have (to me) shown any interest in aluminium backings, but I'm sure things will change when they realise how popular they have become.

I think I started a big trend.

What trend?

CNC backings? Who started it actually? :- Plazmatic? Heatsink? and did someone come between? :D

As a user/manufacturer of CNC backings, I can only say that with a well set-up brake, you won't be feeling much of a difference, plastic/CNC backings.

I'm sure that KOXX/MONTY/Echo etc. would have made these CNC backing if they could just see a big market for it. Showed my first pair to Ot Pi in Czech Rep. in 2003. He was very impressed but within 3 min. he talked about forged backing instead of CNC.

Also Vincent Hermance, Coustellier brothers and Ben Savage have tried my CNC backings. Mr. Savage still uses them.

You should get a pair of CNC backings if you want stiff brakes and like to have some nice quality on your bike. Not to get a stronger brake... If it was just that simple.

Edited by Kolpen

Plaz made but they broke maggies and nobody used them. You made some but they were expensive. :P So I made my own because I wanted to try, and it was a good way of learning how to work a mill, then I realised that people would like them, so I got in touch with Heatsink about them. :)

Koxx pads are only the same price as echo and zoo, there seems to be a real hate relationship against proper bike companies with some people on the forum. You get what you pay for when it comes to koxx, i know for a fact anyone could revert to a set of koxx browns and they will work fine for trials and theres been a few other pads they have released due to rider preference. Yet when it comes to the home brand style pads it seems like we end up with nothing really that special. Heatsink pads never seem to have come out of testing, yet they are being sold? whats the point. Even now steve has ended up selling coust pads in cnc backings. Whatever happened to the dream of finding the ultimate trials pad? ive had a go on a friends coust pad set up and i really dont rate them.

bollocks, koxx charge way over the top prices, maybe not on the pads but on everything else they crank up the price (N)

Yes, my pads were too expencive compared to what's on the market now.

But in a small quantity, curved design (to follow the rim), lightweight and gold anodised it had to be the price.

Sounds cool you made your own though, that's why you wanted all that information? :D

Just kiddin'. :D

Haha, yeah it was. All sorted now. ;)(Y)

The curve design IS better, but would have been nearly impossible for me, because I did not use a CNC mill. It is doable but it would have taken forever.

Seems like people like the CNC backings though, which is what's important.

Haha, yeah it was. All sorted now. ;)(Y)

The curve design IS better, but would have been nearly impossible for me, because I did not use a CNC mill. It is doable but it would have taken forever.

Seems like people like the CNC backings though, which is what's important.

Sure sure!

Even with CNC it was hard to make the curved design..... Not that the curved ones were better though, it was only to make a backing that would be hard for someone to improve... :D

/Kolpen

Thanks for all the replys guys :)

so really the just for the "pimp" factor :P

humm, not sure what to do now, i might try some plaz pads, havent had any of those yet, seems to be a very mixed feeling, some peoples dont work at all, yet some peoples work amazingly!

thanks again (Y)

Dave :turned: