Newbie Bike

joe.powell

I have been riding on a Dawes Tamarak - the old one, which is sloped frame, and i can do basic tricks, but I now have some money and want to get a proper bike, which bike would be good for me. I am 6ft 4in and weight about 12stone. I have arround £350 to spend but, can gather more. So which bike could help me progress?

Please help..

Thanks Joe

BTW : I have ridden a Onza Woodstock and fell in love, so Onza is my preffered make thanks!

Edited by joe.powell

Are you after a mod (20'') or stock (26'') bike?

Also do you want to buy new or not?

I recently bought a second hand Onza T-bird in brilliant conditon and i am loving riding it. I went from riding XC on 26'' bike to trials on the mod and found it fine. I think it's a great learner bike and can be bought new for £329 from www.supercycles.co.uk (Y)

I am 5' 10'' and about 12 stone so i'm sure a mod would be fine for you.

Or if you want a stock bike you could buy a decent second hand bike for your budget, have a look around ebay and the for sale/wanted section here on the forum.

Hey.

For around £300 Saracen offer two different models, that are a very good beginner bike (Y) I've rode one, and to tell the truth they're not that bad, especially for a beginner bike.There are a few others to choose from, like an Onza T-Raptor, DDG Shooter etc. but i would recommend a Saracen (Y)

Personally I'd consider looking at what's available second-hand.

Obviously there is more variety and you'll have to have a detailed look at the bike to make sure it's genuine - but you will for the most part get a better bike for it, and also if you do decide trials isnt for you you shouldnt lose too much money.

Cheers, Greg.

Im With Gomp, you will get a much better deal on the second hand market! Although be wary of dents and cracks round the major stress points, especially on the more (ab)used bikes.

Also due to your height i would definately say look at a stock bike (26") as for one you will look daft on a little bike and it will also not do your back any good crouching down to reach a smaller bike. On a 26" your centre of gravity will be more suited to your height, helping you with balance and control!

Hope this helps you decide!

Yep onza T pro is a good beginner bike (Y)

if you wanted cheaper you can go for the T Bird (on ebay only 150-200) :-

it has both front and rear Hs33 (Y)

well thats only for 20"

i m not too sure about 26"

sorry cant help you there :(