Quick Grind Question

trials_noob

I don't have an angle grinder and can't afford one just now. I know they may not cost very much to you but i have just spent quite a bit on my bike and parts. So please no replies like "just buy a grinder".

I need to know if a rim can be given the same effect as a light grind using something like a metal file or a stanley knife etc?

Thanks

I don't have an angle grinder and can't afford one just now. I know they may not cost very much to you but i have just spent quite a bit on my bike and parts. So please no replies like "just buy a grinder".

I need to know if a rim can be given the same effect as a light grind using something like a metal file or a stanley knife etc?

Thanks

It can be done but it is very, very shit, takes ages to do and wears off in about an hour...

Borrow a grinder or get some pads for a smooth rim.

Hi

I had the same problem as you, until i had a rummage in the shed, i found an attachment for a drill and another twenty minutes later i found a metal grinding piece I have seen it twice once in my local 99p shop and once in hombase, in there it cost £3 and 99p in the 99p shop. I have also seen the actual discs and they vary in harshness. In my opinion this works just as well as a grinder and is just as quick, i have had the same grind for about three hours riding and it is still as rough as when i did it. I have included a couple of pictures. (Y)

IPB ImageIPB Image

IPB Image

Edited by mark145

Don't use a stanley knife, not worth it at all. I did a big topic on it ages ago, with pictures, but to do a whole rim took me absolutely ages, and lasted at most 3 big all day rides.

Something like a harsh file would be better.

ive tried them drill piece discs before and its pretty good.but takes a while...

this is just an idea i dont know if it would work but what about rubbing a wire brush on your rim? :S

or maybe if your loaded scratch a diamond across it..(even more time consuming)

sorry for the last idea it was pretty pointless but good luck (Y)

best results...drill piece...

max..

I would suggest searching for pad reviews and see which pads are the best for your rims etc because you don't need a grind to have a good brake unless of course you intend to ride in wet conditions. You could try some tar on your rims aswell.

But if you still feel you need an angle grinder then you can hire them from your local plant hire. Or of course borrow one from a mate. :P

my dads an engineer and he says to get a coarse emery cloth ,get the bike upside down ,spin your wheels and push the cloth against it. mite take a while though.

Dosent work, it makes the tinyest scratches ever and makes no difference to performance whatsoever.

OK thanks everyone.

I guess the thing to do is just get a grinder or one from a mate! I'll try giving it a shot. Also whilst this topic is recent how many grinds could be expected out of a new Onza t-bird rear rim before the sidewall is too thin?

And is a light grind best? Actually i think it's time for a search.....

Thanks for the help

you could just sand it down, but i would suggest trying a local car garage, like a bodyshop garage (like my dads) not a dealer like ford dealer or something and politely ask them if they would be kind enough to quickly wiz over it.. my dad would if he was asked.. he gets kids coming in asking him to tighten there seats n brake leavers, bless lol, and he would.. so a lil grind over wouldnt be any trouble.. im sure if you asked nice enough they would.. just make sure they dont grind it too hard lol :)