Braided Hoses For Magura's

Right i was getting so annoyed with the countless posts about these so i thought i'd make an FAQ post about it.

If there's any more info or questions about braided hosing, then please dont hesitate to post a question and hopefully someone will be able to help. Also if anyone else has anymore info then please put it in here.

Places that sell braided hosing kits:

Chain reaction for only £34.99

Supercycles from £12.00 for front set.

Broadribbs for only £34.99 ( i think) + p&p. 01926 421428 (Lemington Spa) or 01869 253170 (Bicester)

Venhill These guys are the main importers/distributors of magura in the UK. So they know the deal with braided hosing, you can purchase them via their distributors and there is a list of them on the site. A very useful site.

Advantages:

* Make's your bike look a bit more 'special'

* Some people say it makes the performance of your brake a bit better but it doesnt really make a massive difference.

Disadvantages:

* Add's a little bit more weight

* Can scratch paint on the frame badly if it rubs

* Cant really be cut that easily

So thats about it, i hope to see a decrease in the amount of useless posts in the forum now! Also thanks to Adam (thetart20) for his help on this.

Like i said before post any questions in here and hopefully someone will be able to help. And more information on these products is allways welcome too.

Thankyou please.. =Paul=

Edited by Paul - bedfordtrials

Supercycles sell Magura braided hose, which is a raw braid, uncomfortable to the touch and like sandpaper to the frame. It is £35 for the Magura set.

Then there's the Unex hose. This can be made to measure. It is plastic coated so there are no more rubbing problems than with ordinary cable. I think that the ends are VERY securely fixed, but I haven't seen how the Magura braided cable is put together so I can't compare. £25 for a full HS-33 set.

You can also get hoses made up for disk brakes, if your front brake is a different type to the rear. That is £9 per metre of cable and £3 for all the ends for one hose. The hose comes in rolls, so we can cut 120cm if you want (we aren't limited to metre lengths :- ) Obviously, that would lead to similar prices for front and rear brakes that already exist for the HS-33 combinations. Look at the link given

Just in case anyone needs to ask, the stuff works fine with both Magura blood and with water. We have tested both with no problems, so it should work fine with just about anything (normal :D ) you might put in it.

Any questions to info @ supercycles .co .uk (remove the spaces!) and I'll edit this entry with answers.

Satisfied Users: Prawn and LTC_Dave

yes, tehy are awesome, i have one of the frist sets sold and dammit tehy are sweet.

tehy seem really well made, and the couplings are really nice, proper stainless, no more magura cheese metal, i got a full set, for my rear hs33 and front hope mini, in custom lengths, for 26 squids

tehy awesome, they probably dont, but i swear my brake feels stiffer now, more solid, oh, and ther much stronger, and more flexible

i dont have n e pics of mien yet, due to my camera being dead.

but heres a pic of LTC_daves hoses

hoseage_copy1.jpg

very nice methinx

Edited by Super Cycles

• 4 weeks later...

is the unex hosing cut the right size so it shouldnt need cutting again for smaller bikes, is it also built for use on tandems etc. or would it be suitable straight away for a mod bike? i dont rlly fancy cutting that sorta hosing and id go wrong so thatd help. and is the bridge hosing the right length?

cheers

Right. The Unex hose comes to us in rolls 30m long, and can be cut to any length you please. Our standard length for a rear HS-33 is 120cm and for a front is 60cm, but if you order it now (August 2003) you can ask for a length in the comments section of the order. Later, when the manufactured stuff comes in it will be dearer to get it custom lengths than pre-made (or should it be, pre-made might be cheaper :- ?)

If you want it made up for a disc brake, the answer for that is above.

We made the bridge hose acouple of cm longer than the Magura ones because we thought that there wasn't much clearance with 19" wheels/tyres.

If you have a tandem then we can still sort you out... one was built recently at Supercycles with hydraulic discs and Unex hose is what we used. All we need to know is the length.

• 6 months later...

Click here to take part in Mike's insurance fraud

:) (Y)

Yeh, the unex appers to be good from what I've seen & heard, but I dont see a problem with the official stuff. (Y)

It has no plastic coating so it will scrape all the paint off your frame. Allthoughi thought I came with HeatShrink to stop this? (Y)

Is good ridge cable plastic coated?

• 1 month later...