Dual Disc On A Non Disc Frame?

nickyw

Ok so me and jonny mckenna had a little debate.Little jonny doesnt seem to think you can run dual disc on a non disc frame.But were as i fount out that you can run special adapter's to fit on a non disc frame.Does anyone know were to get them from,If so....Were? :P P.s Or do you have to get them custom made and fitted? :ermm:

that is really awsome!

what material is it made of, how strong is it and do you have a drawing for it with the size's?

cheers

It's 3mm thick steel, can't tell you exactly what it's called because i don't know the name in English (acid resistant steel? :rolleyes: ). I wanted to buy aluminium but it was unavailable at the scrap yard I went to. The adaptor cost me about 10p to make/get the materials.

Weighs 176 grams but you can easily remove some material without making it any weaker.

Haven't got the geometry of it as it's not accurate and I bet it would need redesigning if used with a different disc brake (ie. a IS mount, this was designed for a post mount with adaptor mounted the other way round). I think Wally's 1st adaptor was CNC made (at least it looks like it was). The pictured one is his 2nd attempt.

I think it's VERY strong. The forces working on such a shape are really small, even if it's a disc mount. I'd trust this much more than a factory disc mount on a frame. The ZOO one I made was twice as thin yet still lasted me 2 months without any problems, then I just sold the frame and didn't need it any more.

Edited by Inur

that home made one may work, but i doubt the supercycles one would last,

just remember disk mounts are put under huge amounts of stress on trials bikes, thats why most frames with disk mounts have a dedicated brace to spread the force

I have an A2Z one on my dh bike, i doubt it would work for trials as it only works when slowing forwards motion, if it was stoping motion in the other direction as often happens in trials then it will not work well at all.

Inur's one looks good though.

Edited by adamtrials

On closer inspection, that adaptor looks great. I was skeptical, but it only attaches to the wheel, and the place where braking forces usually go. So it can't really be giving the frame more stress than a rim brake (Although I guess it's one-sided). Whether the adapter is up to the job is a different matter... But at least it's semi-replaceable if you break it.

Bleh, have a crack at making one yourself! Its pretty basic and you'll like it a lot better...plus you can pretend you designed it :P

until I realise that I have done it wrong and have to start over time and time again.

Im not reely a great craftsma :(:lol:

• 3 weeks later...