Computer Crash Problem

on that? u must be joking

Guys, I'm having problems with my computer:

Occasionally it instantly shuts off. The only way i can definitely get it to do it is by beginning the Need for Speed Carbon demo. Once it has crashed the power light on the front starts flashing. I then cannot turn the computer on again as the normal power switch doesn't work. The only way i can get it to come on again is by disconnecting the kettle lead from the power supply. After a few more flashes with no power to the computer the power light does not come on again. I can then plug the computer in and it starts up fine. It has also been known to do it randomly when I installed Emule a while back. I thought uninstalling that solved it but apparently not.

Can anyone suggest what the problem might be - i'm currently thinking it's a power supply problem but don't really know, and don't have a spare to test with.

Spec:

MSI K8T Neo motherboard

AMD 64 bit 3200 processor (754 pin)

Geforce 7800GS (AGP)

1024 MB ram

WD Raptor 36gig hd SATA

Maxtor 160gig hd SATA

Maxtor 160gig hd ide

Soundblaster 5.1 digital

WinTV card

ethernet card

DVD writer

Tagan 480w power supply

Cheers,

Andy

I would imagine your probably right with the power supply unit being a cause of the problem, thats a pretty intensive card and depending on the quality of the PSU it might not manage to handle it, resulting in a total shutdown. The wattage should be alright, but if its a cheap one then it might not be up to the job.

How far into the demo does it get? Does it start to load the level then do it, does it finish loading the level then do it or does it start playing the actual game then do it?

If it does it as soon as you double click the icon i would imagine its a corrupt version of the demo, maybe try re-installing it or re-downloading the demo installation files.

Assuming you've tried a few different driver versions first .....

lack of power is always the first thing I blame but 480W doesn't look too small for that setup - I'm running 580 or 600W PSU (i think its a hiper or something) which has been working fine for a while on much the same setup except I've got a pair of GF6600GTs in SLI and bigger disks.

That said, it does sound like PSU problems from the symptoms. Have you got an older graphics card you can put in? - the 7800s are definitely power hungry and it's conceivable it's enough to tip the PSU over the edge. If not, it might be worth unplugging a disk or two if you can to see if that sorts it.

How far into the demo does it get? Does it start to load the level then do it, does it finish loading the level then do it or does it start playing the actual game then do it?

If it does it as soon as you double click the icon i would imagine its a corrupt version of the demo, maybe try re-installing it or re-downloading the demo installation files.

The splash screen loads and then the computer crashes

Assuming you've tried a few different driver versions first .....

lack of power is always the first thing I blame but 480W doesn't look too small for that setup - I'm running 580 or 600W PSU (i think its a hiper or something) which has been working fine for a while on much the same setup except I've got a pair of GF6600GTs in SLI and bigger disks.

That said, it does sound like PSU problems from the symptoms. Have you got an older graphics card you can put in? - the 7800s are definitely power hungry and it's conceivable it's enough to tip the PSU over the edge. If not, it might be worth unplugging a disk or two if you can to see if that sorts it.

I haven't actually tried different drivers :$ but will do now. I'll give the older graphics cards a go when i next go home.

Cheers for your help guys - i'll report back in a bit

I highly doubt its your power supply. I'm running a 400W enermax which is powering by beastily overclocked dual core system, with quite a few drives and a 7800GT, so i can't see how your burning an extra 80W compared to me. Those tagans are excellent psus so i would look elsewhere first.

My first port of call would be the RAM. I've had problems similar to this in the past when my RAM had slight problems.

Also are you overclocking at all? As some games don't like your pc to be overclocked. BF2 didn't like it when it was first released and it was only one of the later patches that finally helped this out.

Another thing to check is that your northbrige isn't getting too hot. I had this problem with my passively cooled Abit AN8-SLi when i put it in my new case, so i added an additional 120mm intake fan to increase the air flow through the case which remedied it.

I wouldn't think specific software would cause this as it sounds like a hardware fault, and so it's more likely to be linked with either a specific memory location, or when your pc suddenly goes from idle to full load very quickly. Just another thought, what sort of temps are you running at? I remember you having pretty much silenced your system before the end of uni so heat could be a problme with all your fans running on low voltages.