24" Zoo Frame Look In

Greetings

I was just going over my old folders when I came across this. I had a frame welded to the exact specifications a few years ago, but as everything 24" was downhill specific, it came out extremely heavy and I had to get rid of it.

Now when I look at it, it sounds rather strange that ZOO made a 24" trials frame a few years back. This was probably released alongside the Lynx and was called a Pirahna. There are a few pictures of the Pirahna in 26", but they were also made in 24".

This is the technical drawing of the frame:

IPB Image

Has anybody got any info about this? I'd love to see a pic of this frame/fully built bike. Were they ever put into production?

edit:

Google link, note that the pics refer to a "Piranha 26"

Edited by Inur

I was just going over my old folders when I came across this. I had a frame welded to the exact specifications a few years ago, but as everything 24" was downhill specific, it came out extremely heavy and I had to get rid of it.

Now when I look at it, it sounds rather strange that ZOO made a 24" trials frame a few years back. This was probably released alongside the Lynx and was called a Pirahna. There are a few pictures of the Pirahna in 26", but they were also made in 24".

IPB Image

Has anybody got any info about this? I'd love to see a pic of this frame/fully built bike. Were they ever put into production?

edit:

I remember seeing that pic (the one you posted) but never heard of a 24" Piranha only the 26". I'm still waiting for someone to make a 24" wheeled trials bike with UCI geometry rather than the current trend of BMX cruiser/trials things out in the market at the moment...

Looks interesting. Google link just comes up with pictures of fish for me. haha.

My 24" is the most UCI style one I've heard of geometry wise, 1060-1040 wheelbase, 390-370 chainstays, +25bb. But it is still pretty streety because of the way the frame is.

IPB Image

edit:

Its first ZOO frame drawing called PIRANHA...relesed January 2003. Check for V-brake position...254mm fits 26" wheel.

Here You have welded frame photos:

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

Edited by rav

Haha, Nice, so it was ment to be a 1040? why'd they change it it 1020? If they'd left it but sorted the rake thing I'd own one right now!

ok let me clarify what UCI geometry is like:

headangle 70-72º

wheelbase 1100-1060mm

chainstays ~380mm

so the Zoot´s geometry is:

Headangle 73º

Wheelbase 1040mm

Chainstays 380mm

Now to me that does not qualify as UCI and falls into the street category cause its short and steep

a 24" UCI bike would have the follow dimensions:

headangle ~71º

Wheelbase 1080-1050mm

chainstays 350-360mm (mods use 350mm chainstays, stock 380mm)

My carbon fibre frame was:

headangle 71.5º

wheelbase 1065mm

chainstays 365mm

bb drop +20mm

IPB Image

ok let me clarify what UCI geometry is like:

headangle 70-72º

wheelbase 1100-1060mm

chainstays ~380mm

so the Zoot´s geometry is:

Headangle 73º

Wheelbase 1040mm

Chainstays 380mm

Now to me that does not qualify as UCI and falls into the street category cause its short and steep

a 24" UCI bike would have the follow dimensions:

headangle ~71º

Wheelbase 1080-1050mm

chainstays 350-360mm (mods use 350mm chainstays, stock 380mm)

My carbon fibre frame was:

headangle 71.5º

wheelbase 1065mm

chainstays 365mm

bb drop +20mm

IPB Image

Yeah, I understand what UCI geometry is, I was just saying that the closes't I haf heard of way my frame, as It has the shortest chainstays I'd heard of on a 24" and the joint longest wheelbase, And I'd never heard of a 24" with anything other than a 73/74deg head angle.

Obviosly I haden't seen your beast though. Was there any reason why you had a 24" made to those measurements? Looks really interesting and I imagine it would ride really nicely and indeed very UCI style.