My Dead Pc

Jaffacakes

Basically my computer has broken for no reason :(

It just wont boot up. When I tern it on the light on the PC and the fan will tern on but nothing happens, the fan starts but it sounds all groggy and shit. usually when i tern it on it sort of goes errr URRRRRR but now its just going errrerrrrerrrrrerererrrrr and it sounds very ill If you get me? All it says is "no signal" on the screen, then the screen terns off.

Has anyone got any idea what is wrong with it so the PC shop dont make me fork out £300 again >_<

Cheers (Y)

Basically my computer has broken for no reason :(

It just wont boot up. When I tern it on the light on the PC and the fan will tern on but nothing happens, the fan starts but it sounds all groggy and shit. usually when i tern it on it sort of goes errr URRRRRR but now its just going errrerrrrerrrrrerererrrrr and it sounds very ill If you get me? All it says is "no signal" on the screen, then the screen terns off.

Has anyone got any idea what is wrong with it so the PC shop dont make me fork out £300 again >_<

Cheers (Y)

i just had a similar problem with mine just last week. it was all fine, then i took my cd drive out to help fix my bros pc. when i put it all back together it would boot up but the screen would flash on, then say 'power-saving mode'.

i tried loads of different things, luckily i had just ripped apart another pc so i could try different peices. however i couldn't figure it out. sometimes the graphic card seemed the problem, then the hard drive, then the motherboard, then the csmos/bios battery, then the monitor etc.....anyway i built up another pc using my brothers old mobo/cpu and used all my other pieces and it worked fine, i just couldn't repair windows, or get windows to boot up.

so in the end i bought a new motherboard and processor in the hope that i wouldn't have to format my main hdd.... however it just did the same thing when i tried to repair the windows installation (went on a never ending loop on bootup). so i ended up re-installing my *cough* copy of xp *cough* and its fine now.

i know this is gonna sound gay but a few months ago i read something about the window genuine advantage thing, and that sometime in nov it would stop your pc booting up altogether.....

now i know that's just stupid, but up until it broke, my pc gradually went from sweet to lame. msn would crash all the time, and the error said that it wasn't compatable with my version of windows. my windows media player broke, mozialla would crash like 30 times a day and all this happened right after the last set of updates. Coincidence? probabaly....

all i know is that my windows installation shat the bed.

out of interest have you got a genuine copy of xp?

how many "uuuups" or whatever did it make, it means summit, check on the internet for a list of what the various farts mean, mine did that a while back, i just took it to pieces and wiped them [the ones it was sensible to do so] put it together and it was fine

if you're getting no screen at all and just alot of whirring it'll most probably be that the PSUs packed in.

how much will a new PSU cost....and what is a PSU :-

I figured out the strange noise is coming from the big box the power plugs go into. I think this might be the source of the problem?

yeh thats the psu (power supply unit).

they are cheap as chips mate and easy to install,

here's a basic one that should be fine, unless you have some hardcore system. http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/20083

the more components you have, or the higher spec you have, the higher wattage you will need.

300w is about average though.

Hmmm, avoid if you can though. Cheap PSU's are rubbish, although, as you said, depending on the spec of your PC would justify spending over say £60 on a PSU.

yeh clearly you're right. but going by what he's said he ain't a hardcore pc kinda guy so just getting it running again has priority over the quality of the parts.

but yeh, on the whole anzo is right, you buy cheap you buy twice as they say.

yeh thats the psu (power supply unit).

they are cheap as chips mate and easy to install,

here's a basic one that should be fine, unless you have some hardcore system. http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/20083

the more components you have, or the higher spec you have, the higher wattage you will need.

300w is about average though.

£6? that's a f**king bargain. I think I'll have to get that.

Hmmm, avoid if you can though. Cheap PSU's are rubbish, although, as you said, depending on the spec of your PC would justify spending over say £60 on a PSU.

The speck of my PC's pretty basic (I presume). I only use it for the internet, music and a bit of course work. Games stay on the X-box ^_^

It got top 70% on that pc rater thing a little while ago though :S

£6? that's a f**king bargain. I think I'll have to get that.

Quoting myself yet again on this, but £6 is taking the piss, get something a little more up market, I'd say about £15 at LEAST!

If you leave your computer on when you go out, I seriously would avoid this. Its not unheard of for cheap PSU's to catch fire, overheat or give electric shocks. They're cheap due to crappy component (usually seconds), crap manufacturing, crap (if any) quality control.

Just warning you :)

Quoting myself yet again on this, but £6 is taking the piss, get something a little more up market, I'd say about £15 at LEAST!

If you leave your computer on when you go out, I seriously would avoid this. Its not unheard of for cheap PSU's to catch fire, overheat or give electric shocks. They're cheap due to crappy component (usually seconds), crap manufacturing, crap (if any) quality control.

Just warning you :)

hehe

yeah I'll find something to suit my need's. £6 is a bit cheap though :P

I'll prob's get something around the £20 mark.

cheers for your help everyone though. You've probebly saved me about £300 ;)