Avid Bb7 Or Hope Moto's *calling All Rear Disc Users*

ian

hi there,

i have a bit of a dilema on my hands,

i have owned and used avid bb7's in the past on the fornt but due to soon be aquiring a 221pr of a friend of mine im going to put disc brakes on it front and rear.

here is the problem.

ive seen these new moto brakes and used them on a friends 221ti, but the avid i used to have seemed to just be more powerful for some reason, so im thinking, is the bb7 on the rear going to be just as powerful or not? has anyone used a bb7 on the rear of any trials bike and could they give me a comparision to another rear disc they have tried.

and if so with the avids could people reccomend me levers that are good have a nice feal and shape but not stupidly expensive like the avid ultimates.

thanks for your help,

ian

how is the bb5 different to the bb7 by the way?

bb7 as adjustment on the pad in and out both sides,

please dont post useless information in thread as need to get a few relevent decisions made quickly.

For levers i would recomend the avid SD7's the main advantage in my oppinion over the XTR levers which i have ridden before is that the SD7's hold the cable wherever you set it on the speed dial, where as on the XTR when you pull the lever if you have wound the adjuster down it slides and clunks whic is never good, so SD7's all the way, unless you can afford the ultimates :P

As for a rear disc, i have run a rear 200mm avid on my simtra and it was VERY good, but the feel at the lever was not realy brilliant, i don't know how the new moto's compare, i am planning on putting a 203mm avid BB7 on the rear of my simtra over christmas. As for one on a mod, i am sure that a 160mm avid on the rear would be more than sufficient!

Adam

cheers for the advice bigman, what cable are you running by the way? i think it may be a case of the cable that can make all the difference because it is going to be a fair bit longer than what the front one would be,

plus i would only use a 160 on the rear as i sidehop that way!

Hey yer mine is still bedding in but it feels so nice.

When the lever is fully pulled in theres plently of lock and bit.

But also u can have loads of modulation if you ant it.

But it is still bedding in

As for cables i use the Odyssey Slic Kable and its lovely nice and stiff cable.

Nah i havnt tryed any other cables but i mean for a cheapish cable its probally the best.

I got it due to knowing alot of bmxers that use and it likes it, its just a really stiff cable.

If you really wanted to go all out you could use the Nokon cable but this is expensive and cant imagine it paying off much that much.

I have used a mates on a bmx and i honestly cant see why send that much on a cable when its not much better.

The odyssey is a good cable. A rear BB7 is a good brake (I had a 203). Just be prepared for the complete lack of feel that (with mine at least) the two combined give. The brake works, but finding its bite point is a bit difficult. Apart from that, the flex in the avid adaptor is noticeable if you're being picky, but shouldnt be bad on a small disc size. Second what Bigman says about XTR levers, the click as the leverage adjuster moves about is very very irritating.

The odyssey is a good cable. A rear BB7 is a good brake (I had a 203). Just be prepared for the complete lack of feel that (with mine at least) the two combined give. The brake works, but finding its bite point is a bit difficult. Apart from that, the flex in the avid adaptor is noticeable if you're being picky, but shouldnt be bad on a small disc size. Second what Bigman says about XTR levers, the click as the leverage adjuster moves about is very very irritating.

That lack of feel put me flat on my back completly winded :$ The Avid makes for an amazing rear brake but as Dave said its got some drawbacks

Don't know if this is any help, but I'm using the moto lever with an 07 trial caliper...and it is amazing!

Loads of modualtion, bite etc, but is also alot more adjustable.

Havn't tried a bb7 though, so I can't comment. Perhaps use the smaller rotor?

I'm interested to try as so many people rave about them....

The Avids are a sound investment for the front and rear. Not trying to be arrogant, but if you can find one of my old vids, D15C_Complete, that should definately convince you of the raw power of a well set up avid.

Rich

you i remember your vids, what cables and levers were you using?