Home Speaker Systems :]

Dai the Socket

I'm in need of a little help. Again haha.

I'm wanting to take some bass off my Mission M33i speakers (link) 'cos when they get loud, since they've only got one cone for mid and bass, it distorts a little.

I like my bass :)

I'm thinking about getting a Subwoofer and linking it to the system (running a Sony TA-FE370 amp) somehow.

Any ideas how?

I spoke to a guy at Superfi in Manchester on the phone and he said I need to get a sub that'll work in a 'pass through' way? I think he means linking it in to the speaker cables, then it takes a lot of the bass out for it's self, and passes high and mid sounds on to the Mission speakers.

Anyway.

Any help would be much appreciated. Oh and I don't really wonna spend more than £300. And I've got some cable already :]

Thanks! x

From what the guy at superfi has said, im guessing your amp doesnt have a pre or sub out?

If this is the case, Id change amp. Using pass though, ie, speaker cable to wire a sub isnt the best. You have to keep adjusting the sub volume aswell as the missions volume on the amp, plus if i remember correctly you are powering the sub from the sony amp as opposed to the subs internal amp.

Whats the model of your sony amp and do you have a prob with buying things 2nd hand?

I think he means linking it in to the speaker cables, then it takes a lot of the bass out for it's self, and passes high and mid sounds on to the Mission speakers.

Yep (Y)

Been looking for years for a sub but never get round to actually getting one. Waiting for the right Yamaha one to come up on ebay ;) £300 will get you a lot of sub.

yeah, £300 will get you a very nice sub. to be honest, a £300 sub will be in a different league to your amp, if its the one im thinking of. Id spend £200 on ebay on a sub, sell your amp for £50ish? or whatever theyre worth and spend another £150 on a nice amp on ebay. You would be getting some serious kit 2nd hand for that dosh

get an active sub like any other sane person would (built in amplifier, power supply and will plug into a normal speaker output ie no subout needed) and will get rid of the unwanted frequencies.

Spend some money if your going down this route - the cheap £90 ones etc are ok but only when used in conjunction with DECENT speakers which can allready do bass. £300 gets you a decent B&W one?

Alternativly use any old sub and buy a low-pass frequency filter from maplins for about £3.

I've just had a look at your speakers on the superfi link - they're selling them for 170 quid. Have you considered selling them and getting some better floorstanders rather than spending 300 quid on a sub?

Andy

Ah your amp is about 100 quid. Hmm - it's generally advised that you should spend roughly the same on each bit of your stereo so they match. It'd be well worth checking that your speakers still distort with a higher powered amp and so make sure that it's the speakers that are the limiting factor.

listen to him ^^^

to be honest, if you sold everyhting you have now, plus the £300 you have, and just bought a pair of speakers and amp, you would be onto a winner, and if you like bass, buy floorstanders which drop lower. Also, what are you using as your source? If its shit quality mp3 no wonder its distorting

Edited by JTM

Thanks for your comments so far hehe.

I do take a lot of them into account but thinking about it I don't wonna be spending £300. I'm thinking nearer £150.

I quite like my speakers as they are, and the hassle of selling them and buying more, plus they were more expensive when I bought them so they're worth more to me!

I would upgrade the amp actually, but only if I can get an sub that's <£150 and is good quality.

They are hooked up to my computer but I get the same thing from CD's, and comptuer so.. I'm guessing its not whether they're MP3 files or not.

I was looking at the NAD C320BEE on Superfi and that only gives out 50 watts per channel, at 8ohms, instead of my 70 watts @ 4ohms. Would that be much of an upgrade? That does have a pre-amp out too.

If anyone would want to be so kind to add me to msn for a convo about it i'd appreciate it :)

mod661@hotmail.com.

Thanks,