Wheel Builds

Ollie Y

whats the standard rate for a wheelbuild including the spokes, how much have you paid for a wheelbuild or how much does you local shop charge.

cheers ollie

It'll vary with locations etc and what you want doing. Most seam to be £15/18 plus spokes. Tarty is £10 plus spokes but he is the only builder i know you can give a hub and a rim say 3x please and it'll come to you like god made it!

I got my wheel built by tartybikes, they charge £10 if all the parts are brought from them.

Halfords in clacton quoted me £40 just to build a wheel thats not including parts. What a rip off!!

TARTYBIKES done a great job so if your going to have a wheel built then contact Tartybikes (Y).

Edited by powerz

how long would it take to do??? also if i was to build it would strength be a problem?

cheers o0llie

Yes definatly. Spoke tension and how equal it is answers your question.

To build a good wheel YOU MUST TAKE YOUR TIME.

It also helps if everything is new. Second hand parts don't go together to well.

But you can build and true a wheel in an hour if you have had the practice.

I reccomend sending it to tartybikes rather than your local bike shop. Chances are they can't build a wheel any better than the rest of us.

what do tarty do about postage, will i have to send the stuff to them costing me £10-£20 and then have to pay for them to send it back??? also with the cost of wheelbuild and spokes then ending up costing me like 80-100 quid for my two wheels

Tarty have changed the wheel build prices now.

Parts bought from them 10 per wheel

Part not bought from them 15 per wheel

Optional extra tension tweak 5 per wheel

Postage is 6 pound there and 7 pound back. You will have spokes when they come back.

This is standard parcel without insurance which i doubt your need.

So 43 pound your paying for a standard build.

Ask them nicely over the phone if they would reduce the price slightly as your getting 2 built.

A word of advice crap wheel builds tend to be buckled and egged. Also un equal tension plus the spokes will come loose after a while.

Tarty built my Profile a while back when i wasn't confident enough to build it. They used a new Profile, new spokes and a second hand rim. The wheel was a good build without the extra tension. I didn't bother with the optional tension bit. My wheel is straight, un egged, plenty of tension and spokes have loosened.

If the setup is good then it will be worth paying the 43 pound!

Postage is 6 pound there and 7 pound back. You will have spokes when they come back.

Ask them nicely over the phone if they would reduce the price slightly as your getting 2 built.

A word of advice crap wheel builds tend to be buckled and egged. Also un equal tension plus the spokes will come loose after a while.

Tarty built my Profile a while back when i wasn't confident enough to build it. They used a new Profile, new spokes and a second hand rim. The wheel was a good build without the extra tension. I didn't bother with the optional tension bit. My wheel is straight, un egged, plenty of tension and spokes have loosened.

to be honest i realy dont have 86 quid to build two wheels, there is a guy who built my mates, dono his name but my mate does 10ft drops and they have been fine no bukle at all he charges 30quid a wheel so i might ask him to do it

cheers for all this info though, you have been realy helpful!

The wheel was a good build without the extra tension. I didn't bother with the optional tension bit. My wheel is straight, un egged, plenty of tension and spokes have loosened.

The 'Wheel Tweak' is for machine built wheels to make them last longer, this service is included in the standard wheelbuild price :)

Adam

The 'Wheel Tweak' is for machine built wheels to make them last longer, this service is included in the standard wheelbuild price :)

Adam

if i was to build the wheel but not to the full tension so i would not 'egg' the wheel, could i send it off to you (tarty bike) and buy a wheel tweak for you to finish it???

Edited by oliyoungman14