Disc Rear Wheel

Wright Pads

I've always used 32H and 3X when i have built my rear wheels. Only my mad ass DH rig had 36 as thats how it came. My new frame will be running a rear disc. Very trick custom Hope disc with lots of tweaks. Think of a Magura that has the analog feel yet more bite and grip with a TPA on the leaver just like a Magura. Anyway my set up is this

Chris King Single Speed disc hub

Custom Stainless Steel axle

Hope 200mm disc (modded)

160 Caliper moded

I'm unsure of what rim to rim, want soemthing big and beafy but nice looking.

I'm ordeirng my new hub shell today.

Adam @ Tartybikes will be building it for me as i want the best but he is also going to swap my king gubbings over to the new shell as my tool is in tut atic and i'm still in a cast.

Spoke probs be Sapim race....or what wever Tart has.

So 36 is ment to be be stiffer and when built 4x is really stiff.

Theos here both mod and stock, what you go for?

Bigman your the only man i know to of really stressed a rear disc brake to the max. What did you go for in the end?

Pete

I would definitely go for 36hole and 4 cross, and i would also suggest getting an eyeletted rim to stop the spoke from being riped out i f a branch or a stick gets stuck in your back wheel (this hapenned to me on my dh rig) plus an eyeletted rim can be built stiffer.

hope this helps, Adam.

koxx rims dent easy as sheet and with your extreme dropgaps you do it would last a week, maybe try the 07 echo rim?

I killed an Echo 06 in 15 mins of it being built up. Cheap Deng crap that was. It went just by doing some small gaps. 07 looks wank.

I would definitely go for 36hole and 4 cross, and i would also suggest getting an eyeletted rim to stop the spoke from being riped out i f a branch or a stick gets stuck in your back wheel (this hapenned to me on my dh rig) plus an eyeletted rim can be built stiffer.

hope this helps, Adam.

I was thinking this too but whom does an eyeletted rim these days? I know someone that can fit eyelettes to a rim if i needed it badly. 36 and 4x is what i was thinking

Edit: Just wen't to order my new shell of Bromly Bike as mark the owner said he had a black one ready for me and just o the phone there all being uber gay. 1 month and a half to order one in. Wankers @ Bromlybike is all i can say. Guess i'll have to hasstle Fatmike for one now.

Edited by Wright Pads

I killed an Echo 06 in 15 mins of it being built up. Cheap Deng crap that was. It went just by doing some small gaps. 07 looks wank.

I was thinking this too but whom does an eyeletted rim these days? I know someone that can fit eyelettes to a rim if i needed it badly. 36 and 4x is what i was thinking

Try the new revell rims on tarty the look just the ticket for what you are after

heres the link

hope this helps, Adam.

Try the new revell rims on tarty the look just the ticket for what you are after

heres the link

hope this helps, Adam.

Hexagonal shaped holes reduce the overall rim weight but also look great!

Correcnt me if i'm wrong but didn't every Viz rim die due to these silly shapped holes? These just look a rip off the, and re-braneded like everything eles out there now!

Revell is into dual disc frames so might be a good one to use. Might just have to get the rim drilled with normal holes

Pete

Correcnt me if i'm wrong but didn't every Viz rim die due to these silly shapped holes? These just look a rip off the, and re-braneded like everything eles out there now!

Revell is into dual disc frames so might be a good one to use. Might just have to get the rim drilled with normal holes

Pete

Yes i think round holes are stronger because the stress is equal where as the hexagonal holes have corners where the stress will be worse, but other than that the rims are eactly what you are looking for just give them ago and if you can get them drilled to round hols do that. also put up a review after using them as they are new.

Yes i think round holes are stronger because the stress is equal where as the hexagonal holes have corners where the stress will be worse, but other than that the rims are eactly what you are looking for just give them ago and if you can get them drilled to round hols do that. also put up a review after using them as they are new.

Need to find someone willing to drill them 1st. Probs do some noice big holes to lose a lot of that weight. Send them back to Tarty to be built and then give the review.

Will get Tart to grind it then i can say how good they are at both disc and Magura as i can run a test with my pads on there!

Cheers Pitbull...pending a driller these might be the rim to go for

Need to find someone willing to drill them 1st. Probs do some noice big holes to lose a lot of that weight. Send them back to Tarty to be built and then give the review.

Will get Tart to grind it then i can say how good they are at both disc and Magura as i can run a test with my pads on there!

Cheers Pitbull...pending a driller these might be the rim to go for

No worries pete anytime, hope you are able to get them drilled out so we can all find out what they are like to ride(Y).

Adam.

No worries pete anytime, hope you are able to get them drilled out so we can all find out what they are like to ride(Y).

Adam.

Gonna give Bigman a txt as not sure if he's back in uni or not. See what he says but if not i have 2 others i can ask and then i guess i can publicly post here asking.

Why can't manafactures get it right 1st bloody time. Copy cats the lot of em.

Mind Adam might pass this and as he is stocking the rims he must be happy enough with them or soemthing....i'm kinda borderline on that though mind

Pete

the 07 echo / zoo rims are not wank ....

Ive got the 07 front rim on the back of my bike... which is doing pretty darn well at being super strong and true... equivalent to a DX32 it seems to me.. (and a shade lighter)

so if you want a really really strong rim get the 07 rear rim. as thats even beefier...

anyone who busts those up regularily is either fat or stupid or both. :lol:

Edited by manuel

the 07 echo / zoo rims are not wank ....

Ive got the 07 front rim on the back of my bike... which is doing pretty darn well at being super strong and true... equivalent to a DX32 it seems to me.. (and a shade lighter)

so if you want a really really strong rim get the 07 rear rim. as thats even beefier...

anyone who busts those up regularily is either fat or stupid or both. :lol:

Rowen your in a leage of your own with how you ride. I'm wary of anything thats off Deng to be fair! I killed the 06, the 07 looks odd.

the reson trials rims are weak is because of the holes in the rims plus they dont have eyelets.

what is the point on buying a revel rim and drilling the holes bigger therefor making the rim weaker?

im not having a dig but when you destroy the rim and says its weak then there must be a reason for it i.e you drilled bigger holes or the wheel build was never checked for spoke tension everynow and agian or even not built strong enough the first time,

the reson trials rims are weak is because of the holes in the rims plus they dont have eyelets.

what is the point on buying a revel rim and drilling the holes bigger therefor making the rim weaker?

im not having a dig but when you destroy the rim and says its weak then there must be a reason for it i.e you drilled bigger holes or the wheel build was never checked for spoke tension everynow and agian or even not built strong enough the first time,

Look at the rim, the style of holes are known to fail as any hole in that placment should be round! I was only going to drill them so they where round by adding 2/3mm extra OD. Perfectly safe

Your best off running a rear 26 for strength in stead of running a crappy 32 that you would use on the front because the 32 is for lightness.

Andy

I know thus, front are single walled and rears doubble

Look at the rim, the style of holes are known to fail as any hole in that placment should be round! I was only going to drill them so they where round by adding 2/3mm extra OD. Perfectly safe

I know thus, front are single walled and rears doubble

Dont get cheeky son didnt realise i put 26.

What des exactly...the mum down the road or . . . . ? Be more persific with your answers as we've spoken about 4 differnt rims in here off 4 differnt manafactures

it was clear what he ment, dont be a pedantic arse. The 07 echo rims are very strong. the spank rims are very strong although only 40mm wide (and discontiued so may be hard to find.) try alls are ok but i found mine flatspotted easily. and the revells appear identical but with different shapped holes.