Grinding Your Rims.....:-/

montyrider

So basically im getting my brand new echo 07 wheels threw in a couple of weeks but as there anodised tarty bikes wouldnt grind them for me.... i have no tool to do it and need some help finding the right one for the job.

I just wanna know what tool to buy which wont completly rape my rim apart, im not a mechanic but point me in the right direction and ill get the job done. if anyone has a link to a tool shop with what i want that would be awesome.

Thanks people.

Edited by montyrider

OR you could just not grind them, haha.

This will start an argument, but I hate grinded rims, other people have different experiences but I find unground rims work better due to greater surface area contact with the pad (needs to be set up properly so it contacts parallel), and a little tar gives that extra bite. Since buying a new wheel second hand with a grind already on my brakes have been slipping loads! Also pads dont wear out as fast on unground rims.

Anyway, I'll shut up now and let someone explain how to grin a rim, as I would never do it so have no idea, haha!

Davey

sorry it was the one time i was being lazy and didnt check the search button :( we all do it sometime or other...... but i couldnt find jack S*&^ on what tools you need. i can grind it but not really sure what with.

Edited by montyrider

surface area has nothing to do with friction :)

the friciton force is equal to the applied force times the coefficient of friction between the rim and the pad.

I prefer a grind but am using a painted tryall rim at the mo with onza citruses, and it's alright. slips if i land like shite but holds for most stuff. it's ok.

surface area has nothing to do with friction :)

the friciton force is equal to the applied force times the coefficient of friction between the rim and the pad.

I prefer a grind but am using a painted tryall rim at the mo with onza citruses, and it's alright. slips if i land like shite but holds for most stuff. it's ok.

Haha, Good old wikipedia eh Janson :-

It would appear that, in general, rough surfaces have higher friction values. There is a section on friction however which relates to materials which have "adhesive" qualities, not in the absolute sense but rather that they are mildly sticky like some tyres and a lot of trials pads (certainly any rim where tar is involved) in which case according to Wikipedia surface area does affect friction, perhaps this explains it, otherwise I am not sure of exactly why it is that ground rims seem to be so shite, in my own personal experience.

Davey

err good old college physics :P

get a fresh grind on there and some good pads and it'll be dandy. coust pads are a personal fave.

No no no, haha, yuck, I'd rather have the surface of my rim back, and a nice paid of magura coolstops with a little bit of tar, lovely, can't beat it, haha (god I sound like a stuborn old man)!

It's all a bit irrelevant now though because I don't really ride anymore, haha, I am lame! But I still say non-grind *** :)

Davey

masonary cutting disk worked well for me (well it looks like its gonna work well)

I never used to grind my rim until 8 weeks ago when i did a small gap off a bench & down 3 steps. Brake slipped & i spent the next day in hospital with a crushed vertabrae in the top of my spine & i still can't ride my trials bike properly. I had a go a few weeks ago but it all ended in pain so i left it. Am looking to ride properly again this weekend so i'll let you know how the grind holds up.