Pc Restart Problem

huge

Recently my pc has begun to restart at random occasions, could be 5 minutes in or it could be after 2 hours either way its annoying.

Everthing is colder than a polar bears beer so I dont think its overheating.

I suspect my power supply - anyone know how i could test it? Or any other soultions ? I know very little PC wise so keep the explanations simple please.

thankyou

Recently my pc has begun to restart at random occasions, could be 5 minutes in or it could be after 2 hours either way its annoying.

Everthing is colder than a polar bears beer so I dont think its overheating.

I suspect my power supply - anyone know how i could test it? Or any other soultions ? I know very little PC wise so keep the explanations simple please.

thankyou

MOBO

replace it and it'll stop

It could be anything. Bad Ram, Bad Windows install.

Does the screen flash blue before it reboots? Try switching off automatic restart on failure in windows.

Right Click My Computer > Properties > Advanced > Startup And Recovery > System Failure > Uncheck Automatically Restart

not been overclocking it have you?

Check inside the case to see if the graphics card has a fan, if it does make sure it spins. Overheating of the card will cause the pc to turn itself off straight away. Mine did it a few times when a sata cable was pushed up against the fan. Same goes for any other fans that seem important give them a check and vacuum out the dust to make sure.

I havent overclocked, i wouldnt know how to :$

Graphics card has a fan and all my cables are tidied away from fans

Turning the auto restart on system failiure setting off seems to have helped, in the time between my posts (hour and a half ish) it usually would have restarted at least once. Ill update this post in a few more hours :P

thanks for your help everyone

Edited by huge

not been overclocking it have you?

Check inside the case to see if the graphics card has a fan, if it does make sure it spins. Overheating of the card will cause the pc to turn itself off straight away. Mine did it a few times when a sata cable was pushed up against the fan. Same goes for any other fans that seem important give them a check and vacuum out the dust to make sure.

And if it still does it i would say the easiest and cheapest solution would be to get hold of a new power supply, in comparison to a new motherboard a new power supply is generally cheaper and is far easier to replace than a motherboard.

Try out something like memtest or prime95 to check for system stability. If it fails on memtest then you need new ram, or to replace one of your current ones if you have more than one.

If it fails on prime95 after replacing the power supply then its a cpu/mobo/hard drive problem.