20" Ride Styles

DEZ

hay guys its been a long time since ive thoguth about kittin the old 20" out its gettin a bit old now so im gonna geta few bits nd pieces such as

-GU frame

-brake

-cranks

so ye what i wanna knwo it what length cranks are all the 20" riders on i did have 158mms but ive been running 170s for AGES just wondering are they the best or p.s im 5ft 5 :turned:

Word to 175s. It just feels way better. People go to 18:13 to make the gearing slightly easier to make it feel like it's more explosive, power-wise, but if you go for 175s you get all the power from 18:12, but it feels similar-ish to 18:13. I noticed a huge improvement with all my riding as soon as I got them, anyway (Y)

I think I'd class myself as a 'long'/170mm crank running type person on 20". I find the extra leverage makes the gear feel just right for me, where as Adam's Monty with the same ratio but 160 cranks feels much stiffer geared. The ground clearance is compromised slightly with 170mm cranks, though the GU you are considering does have a higher bb than most other frames, so that makes up for the difference in crank length nicely.

If you're pretty powerful, leg wise, then going for shorter cranks could definitely benefit you due to extra clearance, especially if you ride a lot of rocks and want to ride 'UCI.'

Word to 175s. It just feels way better. People go to 18:13 to make the gearing slightly easier to make it feel like it's more explosive, power-wise, but if you go for 175s you get all the power from 18:12, but it feels similar-ish to 18:13. I noticed a huge improvement with all my riding as soon as I got them, anyway (Y)

What moves be like with 170mm cranks and a 18:13 gear ratio - in terms of how easy moves will be etc.

I'm getting a set of 170mm cranks in a few days, and i'm not exactly the most powerful person, so if the cranks aren't enough i might experiment with gear ratio, too :P .

Cheers,

Joe.