Wheel Weight

{larry}

Hi. I recently bought myself an onza zoot which rides really nicely, however its a tank! It really does weight a tonne! I know that most of the weight is in the wheels at the mo as im currently running DH tubes and dual ply high rollers. I was wondering what tyre/tube arrangement i could get away with running without getting pinch flats all the time?

Personaly i would keep the 2ply rear tyre, as that is the tyre that will get the heaviest abuse, but there is no nead to have a thick innertube in it, i am 19st ish and run a 2ply maxxis with a cheapo hallfrauds innertube and "very" rarely get pinchs. Ditch the front dual ply and get something a little lighter, i am not realy sure what decent light front tyres there are for 24, i have heard that holy rollers are good if you ride lots of street, and then run it with a std tube.

By doing this it will be a reasonable amount lighter (Y)

Adam

Trialsy/Natty setup -

Rear - Maxxis Swampthing 2ply (the highroller is good too) and standard tube

Front - Dmr Digger and standard tube

Streety McStreet you gotta keep on rollin' setup-

Rear - Maxxis Holyroller 2.4 with DH tube running 30-40psi

Front - Maxxiz Holyroller 2.4 with a Standard Tube

I run Holyroller/Dmr Moto at the moment and it is a good setup, but i will be getting rid of the moto as holyrollers are better. I ride natural with this setup too :)

Sounds like cheepo inners are the way forward, i like the sound of that! nice cheep up-grade (or downgrade?!?). Iv got to admit, ive herd good things about the holy rollers, how light actually are they in relative terms say to the high roller? can you get single ply ones?

Sounds like cheepo inners are the way forward, i like the sound of that! nice cheep up-grade (or downgrade?!?). Iv got to admit, ive herd good things about the holy rollers, how light actually are they in relative terms say to the high roller? can you get single ply ones?

yes you can get single ply but i believe it only comes in 26", dmr diggers and holyrollers are pretty good and light, if you want a cheaper tire i think halo do some cheapppp tires for like a tenner.

steve

yes you can get single ply but i believe it only comes in 26", dmr diggers and holyrollers are pretty good and light, if you want a cheaper tire i think halo do some cheapppp tires for like a tenner.

steve

the holyroller comes in single ply and 24" - halo tires are pretty crap, the twin rail is ok, but holyroller is better.

the holyroller saves 350g - 400g over the highroller

I think its mostly the frame thats the tank part of the bike. Like the Rex's their not even remotely lightweight.

Drill out the section with the onza stamp where the seat woould be on a normal bike and drill out sections of the chainstay/seatstay tubes as their not really doing anything.

yea, i no the frame isnt the lightest although saying that i was playing around on one of my mates t-rex (the big bro 26 inch one) and hes managed to set his up so its really quite light. I changed my inners today to thin ones and the rear wheel without tube or tire is still pretty damn hefty. Spose I cant really expect it to be that light as it is only a fairly cheep wheel at the end of the day. Thinner tubes have helped a bit though so at least its better than it was!

chears guys

yea, i no the frame isnt the lightest although saying that i was playing around on one of my mates t-rex (the big bro 26 inch one) and hes managed to set his up so its really quite light. I changed my inners today to thin ones and the rear wheel without tube or tire is still pretty damn hefty. Spose I cant really expect it to be that light as it is only a fairly cheep wheel at the end of the day. Thinner tubes have helped a bit though so at least its better than it was!

chears guys

Sorry, i can't seem to see anywhere where you let us know what the wheel is. Is it a standard wheel or something like a ronnie on a hope Xc?

If its a standard one have a look at drilling it.

Sorry, i can't seem to see anywhere where you let us know what the wheel is. Is it a standard wheel or something like a ronnie on a hope Xc?

If its a standard one have a look at drilling it.

yea sorry, there onza ronnie and reggie rims on there own brand hubs. there both drilled and althought the front 1s pretty light, the rear is quite burley.