Pedals

1337 Trials

YO! I have done a search but didn't find much. Ive just taken my bike into the bike shop to get my hope mono trials and hope xc hub to be fitted now im going to buy some pedals before saving for the echo forged cranks and tensile freewheel. Anyway im not to sure on what pedals to get. I quite like the look of the onza shin dig. Please can anyone give me some advice on what pedals to get please??? -Thanks- (Its gona be a pricey job I think for the Echo forged cranks/Tensile freewheel and while im at it I may aswell get ISIS cranks so therefore thats me needing to buy a new BB)

So overall :

*What Pedals to buy*

*Is The cranks/freewheel worth getting and a conversion from SQUARE TAPER to ISIS ???*

Thanks Alot-

~Matty :)

i'm thinkin most people will recommend V12's. Proven pedal. I'd say a big fat NO to V8s as i've trashed too many in my time. currently giving V12s a try as i got some cheapo. If you got the money, you can go nuts with V12 mags and Ti axles, making them uber-light.

don't know about cranks am afraid

Smithy

It is worth going ISIS if you have the chance. But make sure to buy a quality ISIS bottom bracket to go with the cranks. The forged Echo cranks tend to have delicate threads and the ISIS splines inside can round if not taken care of.

I would recommend a bottom bracket like the SKF ones, I wouldn't go for a cheap ISIS bottom bracket because they normally have poor quality bearings which fail quickly.

As for pedals, I wouldn't go for Onza Shin Digs. Here are two great choices:

1. Onza/Echo VP caged pedals- extremely popular amongst riders, great grip but can bend the cages if you land on the pedal too hard too often. Great value for money though.

2. Animal Hamilton pedals- unsealed versions cost £30 or so, and are extremely strong and grippy BMX pedals. Available from alansbmx.com

DMRs can be good, the V8s tend to be a bit fragile when it comes to their bearings and often develop play. The V12s however are extremely grippy and strong, and for good reason!

However, if you opt for ISIS cranks and BB, then follow these steps:

1. Apply copper grease to the bottom bracket and crank splines before installing

2. use copper grease for pedal threads on the cranks as well.

3. apply copper grease onto the large freewheel/cog thread of the crankarm

^It is important to use copper grease, so as to stop things seizing together.

it is well worth going from sqaure taper to ISIS. ISIS cant round of if it comes loose which is the only problem with square taper.

the best pedals i have used are the Dmr V8's which are really grippy, but if you have a tight budget, i got some insane vp pedals from ebay for £15 which are really grippy or you can get echo vp's for around the same price on tartybikes

there are still more insane pedals or planet x pedals on ebay, he has plenty in stock and it only took 2 days to be delivered, that wasnt even 1st class

Edited by braintreetrials

My mate has the slimjims but I feel there to concave and dig into my feet for some reason :(

Thanks-

~Matty

I had slimjims until my bike got stolen, see my signature. I found that they were more suited to jump than trials but I guess its all about preference.

I had slimjims until my bike got stolen, see my signature. I found that they were more suited to jump than trials but I guess its all about preference.

Ok mate, ile look out for it but I can't promise anything because I live in west midlands nowere near you but you never know :) Like I said I think ile get the revels :)

~Matty

I was Recently Browsing through Pedals and I spotted these!

Here!

The are basically a copy of V8s but are magnesium and cheaper what more could you ask for... (Y)

EDIT: Sorry Didn't check the link they are out of stock IM AN IDIOT SORRY... :$

Go for the Shin digs!

Edited by Trialsthing

Personally I would go for Slim Jims. They are the pedals which I would upgrade to if I need new ones. I wouldn't recommend caged pedals though. They maybe grippy but they fall apart so easily. Slim Jims all the way (Y)

I know what you mean about the cage pedals,lol! Yer, ile test my mates slim jims again , alot of people seem to like them :):)

~Matty

Yeah VP caged pedals i recommend and as grant says £12 you cant go wrong. Get the echo 1s though (onza 1s say onza on them an you dont want that lol)

One thing I do prefer about the caged pedals is when you hit them they don't loose pins but I used some diamback ones (HAHAHA!) from my saracen and the pins have lasted ages till now, :(

The thing is I used to use my pedal to push up a wall but now I just use the front brake so ide rather have pins :rolleyes:

Ps. Think ile get slimjims

~Matty

I have used cage pedals for the last couple of months and have recently changed to some onza hognesiums and they are brill so much more comfortable but not as much grip.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Oki! Thanks ;) After looking at the price of cage pedals ide say they are worth it, might have them :) I got other stuff to buy aswell. As im geting this echo forged cranks and bashring im going ditch the bash guard. Then buying a ISIS BB and a tensile freewheel and get it all fitted at once. Sound good???

~Matty

Do keep in mind that flats and cages and have the same fealing on the foot. I, personally, can't be bothered with cages as I feal my foot flexing around. But I guess lots of riders can't be bothered with flats as they are too grippy, weight [...]

yo dude, i went from burns (square taper) to tensiles (isis) and front free wheel!! i ddnt think id notice the dif but my god!! its the best thing i have ever done, my bike just feels so much more controled and powerful, may sound silly but i can actaul gap about a ft further now!! and also iv had a few pairs of v8's and no the pins dont last BUT!! for my latest pair i bought some DMR terror pins (extra long pins) and my lord!! what a difference to my suprise not one has come out yet and the grip is amazing!! it realy makes them better, i never slip of the pedals now and i still get the luch bearings an feel from the v8's!! go for it, but if not hognesiums all the way