Failing Disc... ?

bennyb

:(Hello Riders

Well the problem is my mate has a dual disc 221pr with magura marta brakes

when he first got it it was a smooth , quiet , power disc brake

but recently he's experianed squeaking of the brakes wich has resoulted in loss of power

to conquer the problem he has

1). boiled the disc.

2). Scratched a layer oil off the pads

3). He has wiped the rim with white spirit wich has taken a layer of oil off the disc

4). He has cleaned off all oil and muck from around the brake blocks

5). He has had a recent service of re-bleeding both brakes this gave him a powerful feeling of the brakes in his fingers although

the power was not nesseraly transmited into the actual stopping power.

All of the above has not made my brakes much better than they were and im not satisfied with a brake that rolls and does not hold.

Please could you give some advice of how i could sort this annoying problem out. and give some helpful commetns along the way

Thanks Bennyb

take the pads out, hold them over a flame(i read somewhere to only use gas cooker-style setups 'cause it's clean burning) use pliers unless your into burnt fingers, leave them for a few minutes and parts of the pad will glow and steam/smoke will come out of the pad when thing like that have stopped put the pad under the cold tap to cool it down, you could probably do the same to your rotor + hit it with some muc off style stuff or muddy water + then drag the brake while going down a hill (Y)

Sounds stupid but the other day i was cleaning my bike and i decided just to leave tha pads/rotor on the bike, i cleaned it witha pressure washer, Now the brake works really weel you could try that i suppose :)

mike

Put the rotor in the dishwasher, and either sand down the pads lightly, or get a lighter to them.

When you put it all back on, chuck some water over the brake, ride around with the brake rubbing, then it should start getting really grabby.

My BB7 does anyway...

il tell him to give them ago ...and more suggestions (Y)

bennyb

Well my mate has been trying some of your comments but havent heard from him just yet so ... keep those good comments and tips coming in we need them ..(Y) thanks riders

bennyb

:rolleyes: scratch the rotor up with a small grinder, or something extremely rough, this will increase the grip around the pads. also try new pads, but the part about putting them in a gas oven for a few minutes does help burn off all the crap off them :blink:

I had this problem today, check my topic in the members area. I simply boiled the disk , sanded and put a lighter to the pads and put it all back on and hosed it off, like dan said to do.. So far it works exelent, and dont forget to ride down a small hill with the brakes on.

I had this problem today, check my topic in the members area. I simply boiled the disk , sanded and put a lighter to the pads and put it all back on and hosed it off, like dan said to do.. So far it works exelent, and dont forget to ride down a small hill with the brakes on.

well i aint going to ride up hill's with it on :lol:

If he's used white spirit, then he's probably contaminated the pads (Gonna have to replace them! (N) ) In future use Muc off disc brake cleaner , really worth the money and it doesn't really matter if it gets on the pad (Although try to avoid it anyway!) Make sure the piston is pumping out well, not sticking! New calipers and worn ones can stick so you will need to remove it, pump out the piston and clean it with a cotton bud and blood oil, then carefully push it back in (You may ned to Re-bleed) this should lube it up nicely!

Nearly forgot, The disc should be fine once properly cleaned! :lol: