V's Or Hydrolic?

hi i am wondering what is best for my bike i have a 20" da bomb schoole and my friend is selling a pairs of hs33's but

i have been told that hydrolics are a pain to work because they leak the hoses slit and all that where v brakes are simple but can you help me with any past experiences please

i find that hydrolic are best, for my style of riding anyway

but people like ali c use a v on the back, just because he prefers it like that.

hydrolics are usually very sharp at hitting the rim, but not always great hold.

also, i think you should buy the hydrolics if he is not selling them for too much, then you can use them and get a feel for them, to see whether you prefer v's or hydrolics

Well, I prefer hydrolic. Just the feel really on the lever. Also With mine I find I set them up once and all I gota do is make sure the rim aint really smooth and im fine. :) Now I have a hope mono trials on the front and that is awsome, but aint had it long so can't say to much :(

I feel v's give a spongey feel and to me that seems to make it not feel reliable. But you will get some people who prefer v's so if I was you I would test both first.

Ps. I aint hardly touched my hydrolics and there fine... (Y)

~Matty

I think most people would say hydraulic brakes would be the best option. Your friend is right about them splitting etc, but they shouldn't leak for no reason.

With the Magura's you can get a variety of pads which work with ground rims, smooth rims and with or without tar. Most people would say a Magura + a ground rim + a set of decent pads would be alot better than a Vee brake but that is there opinion. But a Vee is alot easier to maintain.

Personally i would go with a set of Magura's, get a grind on your rim, and buy a set of decent pads.

Ive never had vees so i cant give an opinion on which i prefer. All i can say is that Hydrolic's are like a kick in the balls to set up (u dent look forward to it and once you're commited it's a b*****d) but once they are set up if you have good pads and a grind i like them.

ye well i personaly i think that hydrolic are better. But other people have different oppinions really.

I say hydrolic because they hold me alot better than v brakes do. in others words there stronger but thats why they are bit more complicated.

But when you know how they work it isnt.

Well hope i helped. MAtt

maguras have more bite but vees have more hold

maguras dont get grit in cables but vees are easier to pull when clean

vees are more adjustable, easier to set up, pads last longer (because they dont wobble) and vees are quieter.

i had the same bike and having a magura on the back gives a much better bite!

the vees that come with that bike really aren't too great and always slipped when i tried gapping stuff

anyway if your getting them for a good price then go for it (Y)

V-brakes are OK, but lack the power of a hs33. You dont have to worry about the cable streaching with hydralic brakes giving them a much more positive lever feel. I would definitly say that a well set up pair of maguras would out perform v-brakes quite easily.

Pad choice is vital however, as the standard pads that come with the hs33's can lack bite and not be a lot better than v's! Im running the onza citrus pads with the direct mount magura set up and it has made the world of difference, very reliable. Nice screechy noise as well that lets you know that there doing something! :P

Edited by {larry}

V-brakes are OK, but lack the power of a hs33. You dont have to worry about the cable streaching with hydralic brakes giving them a much more positive lever feel. I would definitly say that a well set up pair of maguras would out perform v-brakes quite easily.

I couldnt disagree more!!

Sure maggies have more bite, but for sheer holding brute force, they are no match for a good vee!

Cable strech is sooooo minimal that its un-noticable! If you get some compressionless housing (like linear slick cables for £6) then the brake is stiffer than most maggies and have a much more positive feel.

It seems to me people diss vees without actually trying a half decent setup, you would be suprised at how good they are and how nice they feel!!

I can't actually believe how many people can't spell hydraulic. :huh:

V- brakes can be crazy as hell if you spend time setting up/ servicing them etc.

But, you need to put in quite abit of hard earned cash (or daddys) to be able to get the perfect set up.

Spend more on brakes I think, since they are the only thing stopping you from teething a wall really.

maguras have more bite but vees have more hold

Can you explain how they have more hold? How much honestly for a decent vee set up cost compared to a full maggy £65.00 and a set of new pads £10.00 -£18.00

cheers padarik

a mid price vee with pads, cables, lever, caliper and 4 bolt to vee adaptor would be £106, thats with an SD7 setup, you could go cheaper by getting SD5 arms and lever and cheaper pads or you could go the whole hog and spend nearer £200 on an avid ultimate setup.

The SD7 would be perfectly fine, but if you could strech to ulitmate arms, then its well worth doing!!

I am not quite sure why they give so much hold, I think it could be due to the shape of the arm and when the brake is applied and the bike rocks backwards, its almost forcing the pads on a tad more due to the slight flex in the arms. I could be wrong though. either way, they have a LOT more hold than maggies!!

V-Brakes are simple, easy, better hold, and most of the time cheaper than Hydraulics.

Hydraulics are currently my personal preference, I just generally like the feel of hydraulics as apposed to vee's, but perhaps I haven't tried different lever options.

V-brakes are very easy to set-up, just slip them on the canti studs or whatever your set-up, then just change the amount of cable that is pulled through and ensure that the pads are at the right angle.

With Hs33's you have to ensure that the pad is touching evenly, at the right angle, at an even distance, it can take a while to get a good set-up.