Which Be The Best Bike

Anjow

I've been wanting a bike for god knows how long, but each time I've had the money I've ended up spending it on some computer part or other. Now I have committed to saving up for one.

Here's the deal:

- I'll be looking to spend around £500-550. I honestly don't think I can spend more than £550 so please, don't go suggesting I spend something like £700. £550 is already the 'stretched' amount.

- I want a 20" bike.

- It must have at least rear maguras.

- It must come from Tartybikes. They are relatively near me and I want to be within driving distance for if there are any problems.

I suppose the two main ones I'd been looking at were the Monty 219 Magura and the Onza T-comp 07. The thing is I don't really know the difference between them. I also don't know what other things I'm looking for in a bike. In an ideal world I'd be able to ride to places on it, but manoeuvrability is more important since I do have a car. To be honest I think I have pretty much limited myself to one of the two bikes I mentioned, but whatever.

I would say buy a t-pro, and look in the f/s section and buy some maggies, then sell the vee adapters to me :P. And then you have saved your sell quite abit of cash and you have got a grate beginner bike and money to upgrade it when you become better.

I must say I am a bit afraid of buying second hand. I'm worried about them either coming with problems or developing problems. I'm also afraid of fitting parts myself to begin with because I am totally inexperienced. I was looking at a new bike for simplicity's sake.

If I was in your situation I'd probably get something second hand for around £400. That way if anything breaks down the line (there's no reason to think it should) then you have that extra money to fix it or just change the things you're not happy about. If you know what a spanner does then won't have any problems with maintenance on a bike, it's all dead simple.

I take your point about wanting a new bike and that's fair enough. But remember that you'll scratch it up within a few weeks anyway.

But as far as new bikes go, I'm with Andy h - get the T-pro and use the saved money to replace things you don't like.

Go for one of those Zhi full builds... Don't quote me on this but the cheaper of the two going to be about £460... Looks pretty good.

Whereabouts can they be found?

Also, when the T-pro was mentioned - did you mean new?

Go for one of those Zhi full builds... Don't quote me on this but the cheaper of the two going to be about £460... Looks pretty good.

+ brakes, shipping

will sum up to 600 easily :)

and he wants it from tartybikes.

I'd go for Onza. Most of the parts are really good although a Monty will probably last much longer (apart from the freewheel).

Don't Buy ONZA :angry:

Too much hassle. Lots of things will brake. I found out the hard way :(

I bought a T-Pro for £420 and have spent way over £400 on replacement frames, cranks etc because they have broken.

ONZA ARE CRAP :angry: :angry: :angry:

I bought a T-Pro for £420 and have spent way over £400 on replacement frames, cranks etc because they have broken.

Just to say Onza are sertainly NOT crap!! atleast from the experiance i've had.

and there warrenty ain't too bad i suppose.

if you brake any onza component, you get a replacement half price. (Y)

get a zona! great bike up to any standard. you can get the complete build from supercycles for £499. with front and rear maggies. i only just found it and looks like a bargain.

check it out http://www.supercycles.co.uk/site_details.asp?ProductID=697

an then keep that extra money for upgrading later or replacing broken parts.

cheers rudi

ONZA ARE CRAP :angry::angry::angry:

I disagree. My first trials bike was an Onza T-Raptor (new) discounted to £300, and it was probably the best purchase I've made. Since then I've only upgraded stuff when it's broken and I could never have got a half-decent trials bike in one go otherwise.

hummm... i would be careful of the t-comp i have one if you decide on 1 of thease please;

• keep a eye on the freewheel it somtimes comes loose
  • get a different rear hub the bearing cases lasted me about 3 month
  • get rid of the stackers below the stem they make the bike sooooo high up (you may need to cut down the forks)
  • get some decent grips , pedals but this is not that important
  • ohhh and the frame flexes every time you press the rear brake so get a cheap booster

i just wanted to warn you about thease factors first before you decide but exept from thease the bike is brilliant and is so easy to tap, sidehop ohhhh and the wheels are really strong too

Rick

Yeah, it does look like a pretty decent deal, those Zips are supposed to be damn good for the money. The T-Pro/T-comp both have the same frame and it's a bit shorter than the Zip, so bear that in mind (if you have a long/short preference).

I thought Tarty did Zona but obviously not. But I reckon it's the way to go anyway.

If they're still offering it when I have the money (could be a while yet, I'm relying on someone else giving me it bit by bit), I will get the Zona.

Can someone explain about long/short frames? Are they entirely preference? Or does your size come into it? I'm 6' if that matters.

• keep a eye on the freewheel it somtimes comes loose
  • get a different rear hub the bearing cases lasted me about 3 month
  • get rid of the stackers below the stem they make the bike sooooo high up (you may need to cut down the forks)
  • get some decent grips , pedals but this is not that important
  • ohhh and the frame flexes every time you press the rear brake so get a cheap booster

I'd listen to Rick on these T-Comp points, I have one too - I'd also say for a beginner, the gearing is a bit hard, I found things much easier on a friends bike to get the feel for things. Overall it's been a great bike for me and would definitely recommend it. Someone mentioned things break easily, but so far it's indestructable for me at 10stone. Depends how heavy you are and how hard you ride it i guess!

The best advice I could give you for buying a bike as a beginner though would be to try and have a quick ride on as many as you can to see which suits you, I mean some of my friends' bikes I just can't get along with and would've been gutted if I'd forked out hundreds of pounds for one.

That's a shame! To be honest, both bikes you listed are from quality brands, so you can't go far wrong with either of them. I can't comment on the Monty as I've never tried one, but my Onza was certainly very easy to get along with, as I said earlier you might decide to change the gearing to something a little easier, but at least it helps you to get around.

Unless someone posts any serious flaw with either, I'd suggest go for the one which looks the most attractive to you, after all, you're more likely to go out more often and enjoy it more on an attractive bike.

Enjoy your time trialsin'!

Last years t-pro was considered to be the best value for money bike in the world, and this years looks just as darn good infact better. So they obviously arent shit are onza. The reason you probly had so many problems is because you dont maintain your bike properly, remember your paying 420 for a bike so you arnt going to get a bike thats going to stand up to elite riding are course they will break but are amazing bikes for beginners and as you progress you upgrade to better parts. I was impressed with mine. And like said else where they have a great warrenty if anything does go wrong.

The warrenty is not that great...

I started off with a T-Pro... and the BB threads broke so £100 half price replacement...

than the BB threads broke in that frame So another £100 to get an upgraed to a T-Mag.

on that frame the front bash plate mount cracked all the way round and then pushed into the frame

so another £100 for another T-Mag

So thats £500 pound in total for a T-Mag :o

That is not a good deal. I have been ripped off. :angry: ONZA never again :angry:

Plus... countless other problems like BB snapping, cranks rounding, rear fixed hub threads breaking and lots more...

Edited by _CRED_

The warrenty is not that great...

I started off with a T-Pro... and the BB threads broke so £100 half price replacement...

than the BB threads broke in that frame So another £100 to get an upgraed to a T-Mag.

on that frame the front bash plate mount cracked all the way round and then pushed into the frame

so another £100 for another T-Mag

So thats £500 pound in total for a T-Mag :o

That is not a good deal. I have been ripped off. :angry: ONZA never again :angry:

Well what you complaining about you tool, it was obviously your fault the threads went on the 2 t-pro frames. BB threads dont just break you break them, if it was a workmanship/ manafactureing fault then onza would replace the frame free. And i cant see how you can have a manafactureing fault on a bb thread so it your own fault about them. I think you need to take a simple course on how to use tools and how to maintain your bike.

Sounds like you need to learn how to put a BB in, and not shoot your mouth off at a company who have been really good for trials in the UK.

Anjow - In terms of long or short there's not a lot more too it that preference. Obviously if you're really tall or really short then it's an obvious decision, but for everyone else it depends what you want to do, how you ride etc. Short bikes are better for throwing about, bunny hopping etc. Longer ones better for hoppy-hoppy trials and 'going big' in the style of Craig Lee Scott etc. Most people these days will say go for the longer one, the Zona.