Really Weird Internet Problem...

UrbanLegend

Ok, been having a really annoying internet connection problem for the past few months.

My girlfriend and I share an internet connection (Telewest/Virgin 2mb broadband, cable stylee). My PC is connected directly to the Motorola cable modem provided by the ISP, via USB cable.

Girlfriend's laptop is connected wirelessly via a Belkin Wireless G Router (802g), which is connected to the modem via network cable (RJ11/45 not sure which!).

The two systems aren't on a network together, we aren't connected for filesharing or anything. Router is protected by the basic WPA password business, which we change on a regular basis. It is just her using the wireless.

Now, the problem is, the majority of the time if we are using the internet at the same time, my connection becomes pants. Sites are slow to load, if at all... MSN logs me in and out. However, I can get around this by opening up Bitlord and downloading something (torrents). This renders my girlfriends connection useless and she has no access at all.

If she isn't using the internet at all, mine is fine. The moment she connects it all goes to shit.

It's almost as if her wireless connection somehow is given priority over the bandwidth, and again somehow Bitlord gives it back to me. I'm not very clued up these days on network stuff, so I really need some advice!

I would have thought 2mb would be fine for sharing, seeing as the problem lies in general browsing etc.

Any ideas people? It is beginning to offend me greatly lol.

Cheers in advance (Y)

At a guess your modem is incapable of working out which connection (USB vs ethernet) it should use. That's not its job and it won't be designed for using both sockets. I'm surprised it even works at all. You need to plug your PC into the router instead of the modem. This may involved buying a network cable OR a wireless card for your computer, but that will sort it out.

• 3 months later...

Yeh the guy above's pretty much right... although belkin routers are pants, they should manage if you stick a ethernet cable in the RJ45 of the router and ignore the usb on your modem... and as for the reason bitlord "gives you the power back" that should also be solved... if not gimme a shout and ill talk to you about port fowarding your router... which in turn should give you a faster download speed and less interference with everday use. Lemme know how it goes. x x ciao xx

that's definately the solution, modems can't use both ports at once

u just need to plug your computer into a network cable and into the router

also, get a faster net connection

not that you particularly need it, but it will help with the whole sites thing, because even on a router it will struggle sometimes, my mate does it