Pound Or Euro

Mod Man Leo

Pound Or Euro?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Pound Or Euro?

• Pound
    • Euro

Euro. Just because it pisses me off when I travel to england and most of the people in shops, etc don't seem to understand that we use Stirling in Northern Ireland too. I'm sure the Scots and Welsh have the same trouble.

Although the concept of the euro is a good idea economically it isn't viable. Our monetory policys wouldnt work, we have a lot stronger economy than all other EU countrys and we can use the "value" of the pound to control inflation, if we got the EU we woudnt have control over our own money system and so it just couldnt work for us

however i do think we should go totally metric and drive on the right hand side of the road...... it piss's me off the way ive been brought up, ive been taught metric but somethings are still imperial and it just leaves me totally confussed, distance and speed measured in miles, but in physics and math they teach it in Km that hacks me off

The British economy has been on the rise for the past 10 years and its so strong right now, there would be no point in going to the euro. Every country that's adopted the euro has had their economy suffer.

So has the world economy

the european economy is however far more stable, with less fluctuations, that we have now.

2.8% inflation atm i believe, says it all.

Has anyone considered the problem with free movement of Labour, or lack of it?

Its a very good point you make, however people from within the eu can do that now!

there would be minimal impact on our labour force, infact you could argue it back, footloose industries that ar in this county may move to spain or south france but still operate in the uk! (infact this is a positive thing, who wouldnt wan2 live in the spanish sun lol)

Interesting thread, whoever set you your ethics work is a good teacher! lol

Edited by M-i-t-c-h

Metric/imperial is a tricky argument, trouble is that some things have become so engrained in our minds that changing them would be very confusing, all depends what you were taught but I'd imagine the majority of people on here were taught a mix depending on what it was they were learning.

People generally measure car speed in MPH on programmes like Top Gear and on websites etc, and it's the bigger of the two measurements on your cars speedo. Also people tend to measure themselves in feet and inches, if people were to say how tall they were in centimetres I'd have no idea if they were tall or not because it just doesn't make sense to me that way. The same and also the reverse are true of weight, when I weigh myself it's in stones and pounds, but if I was thinking of the weight of a car or like in my job the weight of reels of paper then it's all metric in tonnes. Despite having reference points for both if you gave me the wieght of a car in stones I'd have no idea what that meant.

Then there's things like cooking where one job can include measurements in both metric and imperial, 100grams of sugar and a pink of milk for example.

So you can't really standardise everything, because it'll always confuse someone no matter which you choose. I'd agree that the metric system makes more sense as it's all divided into easy to understand values, but it's still confusing if all you've been working in is imperial all your life!

Davey

Defo keep the pound. Not just for 'its unique, keep it' because thats a shit argument.

I think we should keep it because if we were to join the Eurozone then we wouldn't have control over our own interest rates. Our inflation and growth isn't anything like what it is in the Eurozone at the moment, so changes in interest rates for the EU, (eg an increase to curb high inflation) means that it could stop our growth immediately, and plunge us into a recession.

Our economy isn't matched with those of the Eurozone countries yet, so its not worth doing. We'd just lose out, especially in trade.

• 2 weeks later...

keep the pound, it's cool.

also, metric ***. i can do imperial stuff like stones, inches, feet, pints etc fine but i prefer the metric.

pints rule, our equivalent of pint is smaller, less alcohol for the money.

Pound. I don't like how we as a nation are cowering to the eu, all the electric cable colours have changed to harmonise with europe and a lot of other things no doubt. I really dislike the idea of making things similar to other countries, it just looses the traditionalness of england and what it stands for. And all the stuff on interest rates that i dont need to repeat.

All in all i dont want to be like other countries

The pound makes more sense economically. When a country hits recession or a boom, the government change the value of money to help the country fix itself, sorta. Thats why the exchange rates change all the time and don't stay the same.

Problem is with the Euro, whereas before each individual country could change their rates, all sorted, now everyone has the same, they all have to change together, and with all the different countries having different economic states, it's a huge problem.

For example, say everyone in Europe joined the Euro. Britain would have hugely different economics to Romania for example, and as we would be using the same currency, we can't fix it as before.

I haven't studied economics in 2 years, so I'm pretty rusty, but I'm sure thats how it roughly works.

I like the idea of one single currency over europe but I wouldnt want to change to the euro at this moment in time, with the pound being as strong as it is.

Yeh, wouldn't it be great if weall used the same money, spoke the same language and all lived in the same country.

Wait, f**k that, that means that I would have to live near my french relatives!!! NOOOO!!!