Front Brake Pads On A Grind?

Will Fairburn

Hi all,

Finally time to change my brake pads as they have worn down, I ran heatsink blueberry pads they weren't too good, I want a break that will lock but not have to use tar as I don't have any ha-ha, I run Plaz CRMs on back on harsh grind not sure what to run on front though.

Tell me what is good about your front magura HS-33 and what pads? Grind?

Cheers, Will

I am going to have a smooth rim and rock pads, they are so good on a smooth rear rim bit slip under heavy load, and that was on a painted rim so I would try it on a smooth but bare aluminium rim and rock pads.

I have a grind on the front, don't go there its so crap, far to grabby for front brake use.

when i had my maggy on front, i ran plaz's on a sharp grind and they was amazing, didn't need to run no tar at all, Or the another option is zoo pads. There even better on a grind but they dont last 2 minutes.

i supose if your prepared to pay £18 after a month or two then go for the zoo's otherwise i would stick with the plaz's.

cheers louis.

Rock pads are good but as tartybikes Recommended Use

Sharp light grind for dry weather, sharp slightly deeper grind for wet weather.

also you can get the smooth rockpads green ones 2 pounds cheaper £16.00

Recommended Use

Smooth rims, with or without tar in dry weather. Can also be used on a light grind for wet weather. Not recommended for harshly or freshly ground rims.

hope this helped

thanks

Dan

Yeah, the Green Rock pads are surprisingly grippy on smooth rims... on a light grind they're switch-like! On the front I reckon they'd wear out too quickly though, I would say the Rock Pads in Blue or a set of CRMs would fit the bill nicely.

I would say stick with a smooth rim on the front, because once you've ground it you can't really go back. I've tried bikes with a front ground rim and the brake locks very well, but I think you will always want some modulation with the front brake, obviously if you have a grind you wont get this.

I would stick with a smooth rim and go for some green Rock pads or Plazmatic CRM, both good on smooth rims, especially the green Rock pads!

Stan.

I would say stick with a smooth rim on the front, because once you've ground it you can't really go back. I've tried bikes with a front ground rim and the brake locks very well, but I think you will always want some modulation with the front brake, obviously if you have a grind you wont get this.

I would stick with a smooth rim and go for some green Rock pads or Plazmatic CRM, both good on smooth rims, especially the green Rock pads!

Stan.

seconded, the lue rock pads are for ground rims and I found them to be amazing, so think what the greens will be like!

Don't grind it, I did and it is crap really.

well im goin to go against the grain of this thread... i do have a grind on the front and i luv it (Y)

If u ride in wet weather or through any wet sections and use rim brakes without a grind itll most probably leave u with no brake at all. I find running a grind and just some cheap shitty pads is a good alternative. Works well in the wet and not too grabby in the dry. It still allows modulation for stoppies and loads of control wen gappin to front etc. only needs one grind will be fine for a long time and give good brake performance in all conditions... just dont use trials specific pads as people have already said will be waay too grabby if u have grind on front.

I use light grind (lasts forever) and fibrax pads with metal backings... cheap and last loong time too.

:rolleyes: simple!

My preference is that for natural a light or worn grind is a good option on the front, but for street a smoother rim with more modulation is the better option.

Anyway I have a plan to get something inbetween the two using a wire wheel attachment for a drill. I have one that looks something like this http://www.toolspot.co.uk/product/4-flat-w...wheel-for-drill I have had it for ages without getting around to using it, but my thinking is that it should score the surface enough to be an improvement over a smooth rim without being as grabby as a full grind.

Duane.

I've been doing my front wheel with a sandpaper grinder disc.

It polishes all the shit off the rim & leaves really wee abrasions so braking is the business.

I run one Green rock pad & one standard Magura pad (Black or Red)... Whatever's going.

I would probably run a pair of greens but the other one eat itself when it was in the rear brake.

i used to run a light grind on the front with Magura's Kool Stops,worked very nice wet or dry,and the people i ride with will back me up on this.

Carl

shut up you pedo, kool stops are for smooth rims they dont last long on a grind

I personally cant stand loud front brakes so for immense power and silent get a disc.

but in answer to your actual question i feel a smooth rim with crms would be good enough, i used to run that on the back and that held well.