Battle Of The Freewheels

mods

Eno! from what i hear their the best, easy to maintain, and work like a dream.

Tensiles i have 1 and just ordered another one. you may think its because i like them. I dont :- but that may be beacause my last one had the lockring keep coming loose :angry:

But yer Eno for quality

Tensile for cheap quality :S

i would say tensile would be best value for money as they got a good amount of engagments and are more than half the price of the eno's

if you have the money go for the eno, but i personally would rather pay £35 on a tensile then upgrade anover part of my bike (not that it need upgarding :lol::P )

The best freewheel is the ENO - amazing machining quality, sealed bearing (no balls to go flying about when you take it apart!), all parts available seperately.

The Tensile is the best value for money at the moment, however that may change as soon as the Try-All becomes more widely available.

However, the 96 click Tensile may be one to look out for in the future...!

:mellow: enlighten me....

It's a tensile with 96 engagement points. ;)

I hear they're also making adaptors for maggies so you can run super thin rims, so you don't have to bodge your pads any more. Bout time. :)

Edited by JT!

yep, they work the other way round too, so you can run a wide rim in a smal frame.

Funny how they came out just after i replaced my frame purely becuase the rim was too wide and i couldn't set the brake up properly.

Oh no, it's not funny. It's just made me cry.

Edited by JT!

http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/forum/index....view=getnewpost

Last page. The new Tensile, I think (i.e. not guaranteed ;)) has 32 ratchet points now instead of the 20 before, and the same set of 3 different pawls engaging, so it has 96 clicks. Feels mental, to be fair. Haven't got it on yet due to a lack of a tool, but there we go.

Overall, if I was being given a freewheel I'd probably go with an Eno just 'cos of how amazingly high quality they are and how savagely easy they are to work on, not to mention the driveshell being way thicker than the other freewheels, which is pretty good. The sealed bearings giving the driveshell more stability are pretty cool 'n' groovy by me as well :) However, if I was shelling out the cash it'd be the Tensile every time, just 'cos of the fact it's got the best bang for your buck. They're all great freewheels, but to be honest I think I'd probably just go for the 60 (or 96 when this comes out) Tensile just 'cos that's enough engagements for me, really. I think that unless you're riding some top, top, top, top flight UCI uber course you probably wouldn't need that many either, no matter what you're told :P Seeing as some of the best lines in the history of trials have been done with ACS Claws and 21 or 24 click Hope hubs, if you ride right you shouldn't have a problem really.

i think the 96 EP tensile is sounding promising, but what sort of price will they be asking for that? anyone have any guess's. If it was more than the try -all would u be better of with that?

Can't imagine there being a worse freewheel than ENO, so my vote for the worst freewheel goes to WI. Without serious tuning this freewheel was totally unreliable and dangerous to use. Throughout the 6 months I had one, it skipped many more times than an ACS or a 3 quid Dicta freewheel (which didn't skip once). One of my mates totally destroyed the ratchet (wrong word? the inside bit of the chainring with teeth). Can freewheels get any worse? I don't think so.

i think the 96 EP tensile is sounding promising, but what sort of price will they be asking for that? anyone have any guess's. If it was more than the try -all would u be better of with that?

I was told possibly £2-3 more than the current one. If it was over £40 I'd be

|<--------------------------------------------------------------------------this------------------------------------------------------------------------>|

surprised.

It seems to be luck of the draw with Enos. The one I currently have has skipped quite a few times now, but one of the springs appears to be haggard as hell, so I'm hoping some fresh springs 'n' pawls should do it right. You've just gotta watch the filth grease from the bearings oozing over your precious, beautifully machined pawls :P

Can't imagine there being a worse freewheel than ENO, so my vote for the worst freewheel goes to WI. Without serious tuning this freewheel was totally unreliable and dangerous to use. Throughout the 6 months I had one, it skipped many more times than an ACS or a 3 quid Dicta freewheel (which didn't skip once). One of my mates totally destroyed the ratchet (wrong word? the inside bit of the chainring with teeth). Can freewheels get any worse? I don't think so.

That's really odd, but you seem to be the only person who has ever had any kind of trouble with them. :S

Actully lots of people have had trouble with them my cousin had one that the lock ring snaped 4 pawls bents it skipped constantly and was genarly not good.And foster had a red white industries that died ,and a green one that skipped like a school girl. The speculation about tensile freewheels was that they were going to be on the market 2 weeks and then be withdrawed because of defaults but after riding my cuz's tensile i was just about ready to throw out the profile and get a tensile as they sound imensse and my cuzs has never skipped ounce.

long stroy short .....not everyone has had good experiances with white industries on price wise the tensile will allways win , but if u want a expensive heavy peice of metal with sharp teeth then get a wi its your choice.

Edited by baseguy

Weird how he managed to bend the pawls on the Eno? I've managed to shear the tips off mine once or twice, but I'd always thought they were gonna be almost impossible to bend... Unless you strip and lube the green one it will skip easily, but generally after that they're OK. Sucks they had issues with their's though :(

My mate JoeWhite on here had many a problem with his tensile, skipping, lockring coming loose and he had it a month. hes gone a nd bought a second one though so they cant be all bad :S

EDIT: I FORGOT TO MENTION HE WASNT ACTUALLY RUNNING A BASHRING OR PLATE SO REPEATEDLY LANDING ON HIS FREEWHEEL/CHAIN, NOT EXACTLY TAKING PROPER CARE.

Edited by Joe_Elding

His lockring came loose? Pretty weird... Reckon you could ask him which way it tightened up? I seem to remember someone on here having one that tightened anti-clockwise which means it was opposite thread when they should've been regular thread :S

i suppose your always going to get problems with all the freewheels, but it depends how you look after them.. i'm in the process of building a new bike, which is a slow one i might add, so i might wait for this 96 ep tensile, i'm not likin the unsealed bearings of the try-all and 108 ep is not necessary for me. nor is 96 for that matter.. and the eno although very gd are expensive..