What To Do With A Chris King That Skips

neomember

Have you just purchased it? If you have then take the driveshell off and remove the lube thats inside, its too thick. Clean it out completely and re- lube it up with something like wd40 or another thin lubricant.

Also, check that its tight and isnt wobbling.

Bought it used. It was going fine at first but the skipping starts just after a few weeks.

Now, it's getting worst every day... even with very low pressure on the pedals sometimes.

I would be happy if it just needs a little lube and cleaning. But i don't know anything about it.

I could probably service it myself.

Just want to know if it's bad or not.

Thanks!!

Take it apart using a 3/32 inch allen key and have a look inside. if theres loads of crap and gunk in there clean it out with something like an old tooth brush or something. Like i said, try lubing it up with some thin lube and making sure its spotless and clean before you put it back together.

Then when you put it back together make sure the collar is as tight as you can get it with your fingers.

Okay, everything is cleaned, so everything is spotless.

Now, the lubrification part sounds a bit confusing.

It seems that i need 'low shear RingDrive grease' on the teeth between the RingDrive and the hub shell and to put some Tri-Flow or 10w synthetic oil on the helical splines of the RingDrive.

Did i get that right?

Based from your experiences can i subtitute the 'RingDrive grease' with something else? It will take some time if i have to order it.

And also, which Tri-Flow lube do i need? Tri-Flow is just a company name.

Edit: I'm planning to service the bearings also.

Thanks!!

Edited by neomember

Adam (in the video) recommends Finish-Line wet XC lube - which is again another brand name but it's basically bog-standard bike lube, though it is quite thin. So anything similar ish will do the trick.

By the way, due to the design, Chris Kings are MORE likely to skip when there's only a bit of pressure on the pedals - as you pedal harder, they engage more firmly.

Couldn't watch the video before cause i had computer problem. I've seen it now.

I'll still order the CK grease cause i need some for the bearings. I have another rear wheel i can use for now. I'll probably have one month of riding left before winter so... it can wait.

Just got a 150mm Hope Pro II rear hub from the post a few minutes ago for my DH bike. What's so special about them. Looks pretty plain and simple to me... almost boring. I was expecting 48 engagement points instead of 24. Still good for the money i guess but how do they compare to Chris King. The difference of money between the two really shows.

Sounds like my old ratchet wrench.

I guess they are reliable.

I've heard a lot of nice things about them though.

Thanks again!!

Edited by neomember

Couldn't watch the video before cause i had computer problem. I've seen it now.

I'll still order the CK grease cause i need some for the bearings. I have another rear wheel i can use for now. I'll probably have one month of riding left before winter so... it can wait.

Just got a 150mm Hope Pro II rear hub from the post a few minutes ago for my DH bike. What's so special about them. Looks pretty plain and simple to me... almost boring. I was expecting 48 engagement points instead of 24. Still good for the money i guess but how do they compare to Chris King. The difference of money between the two really shows.

Sounds like my old ratchet wrench.

I guess they are reliable.

I've heard a lot of nice things about them though.

Thanks again!!

Doesnt sound like you have the trials one pal.

Have you just purchased it? If you have then take the driveshell off and remove the lube thats inside, its too thick. Clean it out completely and re- lube it up with something like wd40 or another thin lubricant.

Also, check that its tight and isnt wobbling.

I'm not meaning to nitpick, but wd40 isn't a lube. Its a degreaser, and filling your hub with it will remove any grease or lube, effectively running it dry and wearing the parts out much faster. I'd ordinarily overlook it but if this guy (or someone else reading) doesn't know the difference and just fills the king with wd40, they'll be riding it into an early grave.

Doesnt sound like you have the trials one pal.

Well he wouldn't as the pro trials version doesn't come in 150mm ;)

I mean... how hard it is to make all yours hubs 48pts. This is supposed to be high-end stuff.

Every Hope rear hubs has 24 teeth and four pawls. They just off-set two pairs of pawls for their "trials" specific hubs. That's what got me confused from the beginning.

I guess that the engagement of the 24pts engagement ones is twice as strong as the trials ones... but who cares. You don't need twice as strong(than trials) engagement for XC and DH.

Don't worry about the WD-40, i didn't think it was a great idea. I'm not so fond about the thin lube either. In CK manual, they strongly advice several times(in bold characters) not too use anything else than CK grease or... you might die or something. It's only adviced for sub-zero operation(where the lube probably gets thicker). It's probably a marketing gimmick to sell their own stuff but i'll stick to it for now.

I'm afraid that with thinner lube it will wear twice as fast.. or dry as fast.

I think these hubs are expensive enough so... i'm not taking any chances.

Not trying to hurt some feelings here... i'll might try a set of brakes someday... but Hope seems to me, a bit overrated.

Don't get me wrong, i'm still "happy" with what i got. It's lightweight and reliable. Just that, XTRs are probably lightweight and reliable too.

Edited by neomember

Well, i'll be happy trusting Chris King. They've probably serviced more Kings than Adam will ever see in his life.

Sorry to be rude but i think i get the meaning of your post.

Adam is probably one of the most competent guy there is. But i don't care about Adam.

I'll make my own experiments and see what happens.

Maybe the thin lube is the best solution. I'll choose by myself if i want to use it or not... if it still skips with the grease.

Edited by neomember

Hey man,

Feel free to experiment with lubes - I understand Chris King recommends their own grease, but this is for XC use. Give King a call and they will recommend light oil to you for a trials bike.

My King hub went back to the USA twice and came back no better both times, so I decided to take things into my own hands and buy a hub tool, haven't had a problem since.

Good luck!

Adam

I'm not meaning to nitpick, but wd40 isn't a lube. Its a degreaser, and filling your hub with it will remove any grease or lube, effectively running it dry and wearing the parts out much faster. I'd ordinarily overlook it but if this guy (or someone else reading) doesn't know the difference and just fills the king with wd40, they'll be riding it into an early grave.

<a href="http://www.wd40.co.uk/" target="_blank">http://www.wd40.co.uk/</a>

Well he wouldn't as the pro trials version doesn't come in 150mm ;)

I never said it did. And the trials ones have 48 engagement points.

Edited by max-t

• 7 months later...

Bringing out an old thread...

Must agree with Adam on this. Finish Line Wet Lube is pretty thick lube. It's working nice.

Think i've put too much though. Couldn't hear the hub for the first few hours. Scary silent.

Hope it won't mess up with the grease in the bearings.

Thanks!! (Y)