Trying to build a more "forgiving" trials rig...

foxinsocks

Frames like that were used because there was no other choice. They stopped production a decade ago on frames that regularly snapped and cracked and now the aluminium is a minimum age of a decade old, it will be shit. Get the hex, you will enjoy it 10 times more, it won't die beneath you, looks better and you can run modern brakes.

they world of trials has come on laps and bounds in the last 10 years, make the most of that knowledge the manufacturers have learnt and get a modern bike.

OR

Look at older frames with decent geometry made from steel as they can atleast be modified and repaired if necessary.

I hear what you're saying and you made some truly valid points. I'm sure the Hex has many advantages, but it's out of my budget at the moment, new or used (or any other inspired for that matter :mellow: )

For the amount of trials riding i get to do, and the shitloads of money i regularly spend just servicing my XC and Trail bikes, i can't justify spending that much. Maybe at some point in the future if i get to ride much more and i can justify totally new rig.

Also, as good/better as the newer frames are, it doesn't mean the older ones were bad. For my skill set, they're probably more than enough. Yeah, pure trials sure have evolved a huge deal over the years, even until recently. however, In the world of street-trials, i truly don't see many other valid options out there. The only name that people keep muttering is "inspired", nothing else. That, and a few knockoffs here and there which are seriously hard to come by. Sadly, that leaves the PlanetX on the table... as ridiculous as that sounds. Most available modern street bikes go with a much more "dirt-jump" geometry which is even worse for trials. Of course, i'll be happy to hear that there are many alternatives that i missed (26" only)...

what worries me more is what you said about PX's cracking... first time i've heard that (granted i dont hang around in trials forums that much). my older jackflash took a quite a beating and the tubes felt insanely strong. But thanks for the heads up!

Unfortunately you're arguing a point that is 100% wrong. I understand why, because about 5 years ago I was doing exactly the same. Until you ride a more modern street bike, you'll continue being stubborn. Then one day you'll realise you wasted time and money on something that wasn't up to the job.

Unfortunately you're arguing a point that is 100% wrong. I understand why, because about 5 years ago I was doing exactly the same. Until you ride a more modern street bike, you'll continue being stubborn. Then one day you'll realise you wasted time and money on something that wasn't up to the job.

I've tried plenty of modern street bikes, and they were all pretty horrible at trials. Ridden several modern pure trials frames too, but that's not really what i'm after anyway.

Seriously though, if i'm that wrong, could you please give me a couple of specific models to check out? (except for Inspired). That's the whole point of this thread basically... getting some good options.

A frame that is:

1. reasonably priced and not too rare in 2nd hand classifieds

2. Has decent trials performance (strictly urban stuff, no natural or comp trials), but still balanced, not overly difficult to bunnyhop/manual/spin. And can even be taken to the occasional pumptrack for a workout (cuz that will just be funny on a pure trials frame)

3. speaking in numbers (roughly) : WB 1035-1070, Chainstay 380-390 , head angle 73-71deg. BB rise 10-30mm.

4. Could possibly go well with a short (60-80mm) fork up front. This is not a must, though.

Edited by foxinsocks

I think you need to bear in mind that JD was probably referring to 'street' as in a bike like an Arcade, rather than 'street' as in an NS Bikes <insert product name here>.

The only frame I can think of off the top of my head that would be more suitable would be something like a Because Street 26" frame, but as with most frames they're going to be pretty hard to come by second hand unfortunately.

wouldn't a very easy and cheap route be to try and use less pressure in the tires? i find that with less pressure everything's more mellow and bouncy. should be easier on your joints too.

maybe try and find a a tire / rim set up that lets you use very low pressure instead of changing the frame?

I've got pretty wide rims at the moment. forgot the exact width, but pretty much as wide as i can go. its not just a matter of tire pressure. I want a bike that i can bunnyhop and manual a bit easier. With such a large frame, and me not being the most flexible person, i can't manual that bike if you put a gun to my head. Yes, if i train 5 times a week i'll probably get it eventually... but still every move takes a lot more commitment and effort.

What about something like an orange zero? Might be cheaper and easier to come by. No idea what they are like for trials but seen a few built up that way and look strong enough

From the specs i've seen its simply way too short, and the geometry looks even more ridiculous compared to the Zebdi.

I think you need to bear in mind that JD was probably referring to 'street' as in a bike like an Arcade, rather than 'street' as in an NS Bikes <insert product name here>.

The only frame I can think of off the top of my head that would be more suitable would be something like a Because Street 26" frame, but as with most frames they're going to be pretty hard to come by second hand unfortunately.

Yeah, the "because" were also in my head for a while but they're hard to come by. See, thats the funny thing, everyone keeps saying that there are many options out there, but nobody can name anything specific. something like the zebdi's just a bit more modern i guess... (Perhaps i should just find some welder dude in china that can fabricate something for me out of thin air (A) )

Well, in fairness there are modern versions of the Zebdi out there, but you keep mentioning that they're out of your budget. The Because, Element, Flow and Hex are all essentially modernised Zebdis. The issue is that trials is a small sport and so it's also got a comparatively small second hand market.

What about something like an orange zero? Might be cheaper and easier to come by. No idea what they are like for trials but seen a few built up that way and look strong enough

These were more prone to breaking that the Planet-X's!

Hateful geo too.

Short control 04/5? These were genuinely bomb proof, sell for like £50 second hand and have a geometry within your specification. ~1065WB, 71.5 deg HA, 375 CS and +10-20BB. They also had a built in brake booster, CNCed BB yolks (05 onwards) and%

Also, I think Danny Mac had one at some point, so can't be too bad for street...

There were also made from an Aluminium known as U6, basically made them THE SHIT.

I just found some hens teeth, so fulfilling this request should be next on the list.

Hen's teeth... that could be a proper name for a frame.

Hateful geo too.

Short control 04/5? These were genuinely bomb proof, sell for like £50 second hand and have a geometry within your specification. ~1065WB, 71.5 deg HA, 375 CS and +10-20BB. They also had a built in brake booster, CNCed BB yolks (05 onwards) and%

Also, I think Danny Mac had one at some point, so can't be too bad for street...

There were also made from an Aluminium known as U6, basically made them THE SHIT.

Not a new frame by any means, but they do sound like a good option indeed. A friend of mine offered to sell me his, but he busted them almost beyond recognition so i dont think they'll hold for much longer :)

I also have the option to trade frames with a friend who has a BR Raven 4.0. i know, its doesnt really fit my genera description but maybe its just short enough to suit my needs. Any insight on those? (were they also prone to break/crack/melt/spontaneously combust? )

Thanks

Well, i decided to think a bit outside the box and did a short test with a very short AM/DH stem - Funn 45mm (instead of the taller and longer 120 17deg trialtech i had).

So much easier to lift the front wheel. Bunnyhops much quicker, can actually pull a decent manual (though modulation on a tar covered rim with maggies is not the finest:)

I know that from a trials perspective it looks like shit, and if i were any good i'd feel that it messed up most of my leverage on the front wheel, but it feels much more natural than i expected. I think i'll keep this setup for a while and see how it works out. In the meantime i got my eye on an older Echo control...

post-23484-0-08769900-1434894545_thumb.j

Edited by foxinsocks
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hateful geo too.

Well, for the record - i ended up buying an old Echo Control frame from someone, in real good condition.

Currently set up with my long Toxsin fork (435mm axle to crown). Wheelbase 1070, BB rise +20-25. Initial impression - MUCH easier to handle and pull up, but still a trials rig by all means. can't wait to take it out for a proper ride.