Afternoon all :)

mwh1989

eyup guys, Matt here.

New to the forum today, but been browsing for a while now after coming across a cheap trials bike, and purchasing it! :)

I've bought an Onza Blade, not sure what year, as it came from my local Cash Convertors and they didn't have that much info on it! Pic should be attached below!

My story is as follows. I used to ride, about 12 years ago, before I found alcohol and mucky women ;)!!

Sold my ride, I had a Team M.A.D Saracen, which I loved, and focused my efforts on going out every weekend, getting smashed, and hoping someone would be daft enough to come home with me! :) In which, I was reasonably successful!

Then, a few years ago, after settling down a bit, I started to look about for a new bike to purchase. Then, the Mrs at the time announced she was pregnant, so that went out the window!

Now, the nipper is nearly 3, me and her have parted ways, and when I saw the bike, I just couldn't resist!!

There's a few things I'm not sure about though, regarding the bike. Everything I've seen online, tells me that the Blade comes with a disc brake on the front, and Magura HS33 rim brake on the rear?! The bike I have bought is discs all round, and cable at that!! Is this right with early models, or have I been duped??

Secondly, I would like to fit a bash plate, but, I only had a quick look around the bike as I was short of time, I couldn't see any mountings/bolt holes for said bash plate?! Or do they clamp around the frame?

The frame itself is in mint condition, few wear and tear marks, but no cracked welds or anything. They told me in the shop that the owner had put new, stronger rims on it, and the crank had been changed. I've payed £150 for it, which I didn't think was bad?! I had a quick look online before I layed any cash out!

And, finally, is there anyone on here from Yorkshire way?! I'm about 15 miles outside of York, I know several places I can ride still from back in the day, just wanting a partner to ride with?! :)

All replies are much appreciated, and i'll be a regular visitor from now on, especially once I get out on it! Pick it up in 10 days, then, as the say, the world is my oyster! :)

Cheers, Matt from sunny Selby

Onza Blade.JPG

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum! that bike looks really good for £150. Most people are just using bash rings these days, so unless you have a particular need for a bash plate I'd stick with your current setup.

Cable brakes are great for the front, but maybe a larger rider may not want one one the back, so you may want to swap the rear brake for a hydraulic disc or a magura hs33, but only if you find it isn't decent enough.

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, the bash ring is there, just need to swap it over as the previous guy was obviously different, I need my right boot forward, he was obviously left!

So, can I stick a HS33 straight on there ye, the frame mountings will be there already?? and the rim is suitable? A pal of mine still has a set, so I'll be able to get em cheap enough! :)

I thought it was damn good for the price as well, especially when I looked online!

from the photo it looks as if there are hs33 mounts on it, presumably the previous rider just ran it disc so the mounts should be all good. I think all trials rims are suitable for hs33 and grinding it may be a good idea as winter is coming.

rear bb7 is f**king amazing on a 20; i'm heavy and a basher and i trust dual bb7 over hopes and any maggy i've used. new cables might help out with the feel of the brakes.

rear BB7?? That the disc im presuming?  I'm new to all this! :)

New cables are already in my possession, will probably ride with the ones that are in for a while until I get used to it all again!

And, just out of curiosity, how many people ride 20" bikes, and how tall are they?! I'm 6'3", hoping I'll not be too large?!

Yeah the Avid bb7 is a cable disc brake. Best thing to do is just try it for a few weeks, see how it goes. Alot of it is personal preference.

Its the same with the height issue, some taller riders like mods, but yes generally a taller rider would like a bit more room but that doesn't necessarily mean a stock. Other parts of the geometry make a difference mainly the 'reach' of the frame and bottom bracket height makes a big difference. But you can change it a bit with your bar height/ stem / bar angle.

Just ride it and get back in the flow, once you are back on the ball you'll know if it is right for you.

Also if you are looking for local riders post a new thread, there is also probably a facebook group for your area. Maybe ask on here too:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/155157967991673/?fref=nf

• 2 weeks later...

I can't tell you what year or model it is (I bet @Mark W or @Adam@TartyBikes would know) but for 150 you got a pretty nice looking duel disc mod! I'd stick with duel discs. Discs have come a very long way since you were riding last so I wouldn't switch straight to a hs33 just because.

• Like 1