26" "Pure" Geo Idea

cwtrials

Hey guys, I'm thinking of having a custom Marino made up and wanted to get some input on my ideas for geo.  Understandably this is like asking all of you which brake pad or tire is best, but a few people on here have a better understanding of geo than I do and opinions worth reading.

Lately I've been riding my Breath Yes 26".  I measured it at 1081 +80 320 72 and 660 reach, which is spot on for advertised + a bit of chain stretch.  It's quite refreshing compared to my hiatus on the long GU, with the bars rolled back I can bunnyhop it confidently (whereas any other pure bike feel really sketch), and manuals aliright.  Some of the spins and more streety moves feel fairly decent, compared to normal pure bikes.  I have an Element 26" dual disc, and enjoy it for mucking about, but really am more of a pure trials rider at heart.

My thought is to take the Breath idea and steepen up the head tube angle, increase the reach a tad and lower the bb a smidge.  Should still be fairly "pure" feeling for everything but hooks (which I don't really do).

Here's what I'm looking at now.

1068, +65, 380, 73 and 670 reach.  (quick trig says changing headtube angle to 73 decreases wheelbase by about 8mm and reducing bb height by 15 increases reach by 10mm).  My thought is it would be comfy with a 130mm stem.  I think it would about as nice for streety type stuff as a "pure" can get, would suck for hooks and taps, be decent at gaps and front wheel moves (albeit a bit more cramped than modern pure).

All in all the changes aren't too drastic, so it shouldn't be horrible.  But any thoughts?  Any considerations I should take?

I need to get a new frame anyway, so a custom Marino is just a few more bucks and a longer wait + I can get a few other features I've been wanting (vert dropouts, triple triangle).

IMG_20170210_113001613.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Felix_HBtrials said:

1068, +65, 380, 73 and 670 reach.

Smells like a M geo Jealousy

With your shape, you'd LOVE the strength of that beast

Not quite. And the crewkerz has that super long headtube.  Besides hyperbolically speaking I could buy a million Marino's before I could afford a Crewkerz. Even when I was a dealer I couldn't afford a cleep. 

Lol, would still love one. If it wasn't for having to buy all the parts as well, and I could just get a frame, that used one you have would have a home.

Edited by cwtrials

3 hours ago, cwtrials said:

The breath with bars rolled back is by no means streety, but really feels more versatile.

I think my favorite bike ever was that black woodman frame that came out in the mid 2000s... no clue the geometry , but I think the bb might have been -20... tapped huge walls and wedged so so well.

Edited by AndyT

On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 4:57 PM, cwtrials said:

I need to get a new frame anyway, so a custom Marino is just a few more bucks and a longer wait + I can get a few other features I've been wanting (vert dropouts, triple triangle).

Just to let you, and everyone else know. Marino has just employed a new frame builder, and just the other day completed 15 custom orders in a shift!

His English/communication is improving, so now is a better time than any to get in touch. Ill also be able to help out, so message me here or find me on facebook/instagram.

• Like 4