Verdict on trialtech hs33 levers?

AndyT

I'm going to a try front Magura for pogo fun times and need to buy a front hs33... what's the best set up today?? I've run a 2005 hs33 on the back for 12 years, and the ghetto ones before that... I will not run a long bendy lever like all the new racingline etc- the trialtech levers looks great, close to as short / as stiff? / more powerful than the 05 lever, I love every trialtech product I've ever had (always strong enough and works well).

I don't know anyone who's got these levers in the USA so I could try them, anyone here have some experience now that they've been out a little while?

If I go for this lever, what slave should I pair it with? rockman slave x trialtech clear hose x splitter would be quite nice...racing line or tt splitter?

Screen Shot 2017-02-20 at 7.14.01 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-02-20 at 7.14.21 PM.jpg

Edited by AndyT
add pictures

The brakes I've used with Trialtech levers have all felt way better than the 2005s.  I know '05s have this mythical status, but I think a lot of that is rose tinted glasses coming into play.  The TT lever improves on them in every way, pretty much.  I think you'd like the feel of them as they do feel a lot stiffer than most other levers, especially when you compare the new Racing Line levers with the super long but thin blades for example.

In terms of splitters, just for ease of fitting the TT splitter would take it every time for me.  It's a lot easier fitting some barbed fittings to separate hoses rather than having to try and mash them onto a splitter.

For slaves, anything would be fine really.  Most slaves are all similar in terms of performance so you won't notice as much of a difference switching from one brand of cylinder to another as you would one lever to another.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.  I'm a TT fanboy, now I've got to get three of those levers... is the carthy one just big daddy pimping ? $$$

How much weight would the splitter add- those little barbs weigh nothing... offset it by getting ti bolts everywhere ? I've ridden whatever works parts for 20 years, and want my two bikes to be full pimping now... why not, I can't ride 3 hours every day like I used to, i work too much... so I can buy fancier parts? Not sure it makes sense for happiness but such is life.

• Like 2

Could get ti barbed fittings? ;)  

The Carthy lever just has a few nicer features like the indexed TPA and bushings around the lever pivot, but the regular Sport lever is a beast too so I don't think you'd really need to go for the Carthy one if you're buying a bunch of them.  I seem to remember Carthy used a proto with the Sport style pivot arrangement and even after extensive use it didn't develop play.

Obviously if you want The Best then the Carthy one would be the way to go, but if you want a cheaper, still just as functional lever then the Sports would do the job fine.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Mark W said:

Could get ti barbed fittings? ;)  

The Carthy lever just has a few nicer features like the indexed TPA and bushings around the lever pivot, but the regular Sport lever is a beast too so I don't think you'd really need to go for the Carthy one if you're buying a bunch of them.  I seem to remember Carthy used a proto with the Sport style pivot arrangement and even after extensive use it didn't develop play.

Obviously if you want The Best then the Carthy one would be the way to go, but if you want a cheaper, still just as functional lever then the Sports would do the job fine.

Let me guess the only ti barbed fittings are those gay pride ones??

38 minutes ago, jeff costello said:

really like mine. i only had it for two weeks though. the bleed system is a bit weird, but i managed to water bath bleed it just fine.

blade is way more comfy than the 2014 magura lever i had before.

How so?  It basically means that if your lever is on the bar you can bleed it at a 'normal' angle rather than having to level the lever off.  It's always the high point.

15 minutes ago, AndyT said:

Let me guess the only ti barbed fittings are those gay pride ones??

Correct.  You love it.

On 2/22/2017 at 10:26 AM, Mark W said:

How so?  It basically means that if your lever is on the bar you can bleed it at a 'normal' angle rather than having to level the lever off.  It's always the high point.

Correct.  You love it.

What was that way you had me bleed my brakes last, I had never done it like that before but it worked very well...

normaly I do exactly like Magura says, but you had a different way - like sucking the fluid in by lever pulling or something ..??

trying to make my pogo full gay pride... the ti hub axle probolts I got are black as night, dodged a bullet there.

not that there's anything wrong with that 

You have the bottom end of the brake still closed off, and just attach a bleed hose and syringe to the lever.  Just flick the lever blade in and out and any air in the lever will go up the bleed hose and into the syringe.  We usually just call it a 'top up' or 'top up bleed' or whatever.  It's even easier with the TT levers because the bleed port is positioned in a way that it's always the high point, so you don't need to spin the lever around or anything.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

first small mod to my lever. that grub screw without a stop really isn't the best idea. i like my blade very close to the bars. this means the grub screw is very far in and only a few threads are left engaged.

i dropped the screw today while tinkering on a ride and spent about 15min crawling on the ground looking for that little f**ker.

edit: found a longer grub screw that fits in my old bolts pot.  looks way better.

p3wvxkd.jpg

Edited by jeff costello
  • Like 1