Hex / slx / 22t chainring issues

AndyT

If you are unfamiliar with the slx it comes with 3 spacers to be used on the bottom bracket- two drive side and one non drive... I had been running all three on the drive side for a while when a friend said beware doing that- not good for the bottom bracket! 

When the cranks are run properly, 2 spacers drive and 1 non drive the chainring is just stuck into the bb yoke. 

I’ve been spending the last two days filing the four bolts that the chainring links to, still no good... need another mm at least if not 2. Afraid I’m going to fully ruin the crank if it goes another 2 mm away.

@Ali C didn’t you run slx cranks on the hex?? What was the secret?? I’m light and a light rider, is 3 spacers on driveside going to lead to a premature failure?? Not enough thread in the frame?

Would like to keep as they are the greatest cranks I’ve ever had.  Do they sell driveside cups with extra long BB threads?? Ala hope?

7391E1AD-16A7-49BD-BF3F-3279607F0846.jpeg

2F49FB6E-FFEA-4739-861A-BDCC19902DD6.jpeg

744C96EE-7639-4F70-92A8-0B41CCEB1177.jpeg

B10D0181-B3BA-4E9C-948B-6BB6CF4EB6BF.jpeg

yeah, 2 spacers drive side and then a 2-3mm spacer on the axle before sliding it through the bb. Also if the teeth on the chainring are quite tall a very quick blast around with a grinder to reduce the height gives a few more mm as well.

• Like 1

In the past I've taken a Hope rear sprocket spacer from a hope free wheel that you get with a new hub, added that instead of the plastic spacers that come with Shimano bb. Only because they crush quite easily. Plus as the Dave + Ali have said as well,  I've also added the spacer on the crank axle to help. But from looking at your cranks now I wouldn't of filed the tabs for the bolts, only because they maybe more weak now and your chain may rub on the bolts holding your bashguard.

• Like 1

Wow, three of my favorite riders writing in a row... thanks for the help guys!!  

@Ali C - fantastic idea why did i not think of such a thing @monkeyseemonkeydo Adding a spacer after the cup is already in... huntin in my spacers drawer now.

@John Shrewsbury thanks... i slowly filed it down, would check clearance and put a chain on there - making sure it still fits. There is still a  lot of thread inside each bolt so I’m hoping they stay strong, may use some blue loctite.

@ben_travis  awesome, thank you! 

Now if anyone can magically make the hashtag cranks go to 25% of its price my pogo will have its drivetrain issues corrected...”when i was a kid cranks cost $75!”

will edit when I figure everything out and get it working ! 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Seems to be in good order now thanks to you guys !

went to my lbs and got a 25mm spacer, same width as the 24mm shimano spacers.  Worked a treat, hopefully nothing goes foul when I pedal kick- I’ve got ~1mm or so of clearance now... I will end up grinding a tiny bit off the teeth if such a thing happens, for future readers- just added the spacer on the drive side crank before I slipped it on like they suggested here.

Fired up to get back on this bike... crashed hard January ‘16 and haven’t properly been able to ride since... slowly recovering with the help of a good pt.  Life’s a b#### sometimes

1CC5C7EF-22A3-49A8-9057-9E42BBDE8DA4.jpeg

47ABCCD6-44D1-4081-9369-E2F38422E899.jpeg

C4EE657F-844D-42A8-8EC8-928791C63D7F.jpeg

4 hours ago, AndyT said:

Seems to be in good order now thanks to you guys !

went to my lbs and got a 25mm spacer, same width as the 24mm shimano spacers.  Worked a treat, hopefully nothing goes foul when I pedal kick- I’ve got ~1mm or so of clearance now... I will end up grinding a tiny bit off the teeth if such a thing happens, for future readers- just added the spacer on the drive side crank before I slipped it on like they suggested here.

Fired up to get back on this bike... crashed hard January ‘16 and haven’t properly been able to ride since... slowly recovering with the help of a good pt.  Life’s a b#### sometimes

1CC5C7EF-22A3-49A8-9057-9E42BBDE8DA4.jpeg

47ABCCD6-44D1-4081-9369-E2F38422E899.jpeg

C4EE657F-844D-42A8-8EC8-928791C63D7F.jpeg

Still looks pretty close. If you took the the none drive side washer out and put it in the drive side with the other washers it should give you even more clearance. Or get a metal/aluminium washer the same thickness as all three (because those plastic ones can be rubbish to tighten further then you want. Try some single speed washers off a freewheel like this. That's what I run, and you can tighten it as much as possible 

IMG_5489.JPG

Edited by John Shrewsbury
  • Like 1

Aye I used to have all 3 on the drive side, but someone said I would prematurely ruin the B.B. cup as there wouldn’t be enough thread contacting the frame... that’s how his whole thing started! A new longer B.B. cup like what was posted in here would be my next idea... unless all 3 are fine to work on the drive side, and this whole thread has no meaning and shouldn’t of been started  :) 

Ive got free moving cranks, better than before- the teeth just stuck into the chain stay. Cheers for the help, I won’t know if it really works till I properly ride the bike... but yes it is CLOSE