Tubeless, Any One Tried It?

Phatmike

I've just installed my self (ie, not a "kit") tubeless system today. And thought i would tell everyone all about it. *Yay*

Pros:

Lighter

Impossible to pinch

Punctures sealed nearly immediately

Can run tyres at lower pressures. (Wont pinch, and they can fold more due to there being a tight seal between tyre and rim)

Cons:

Hard to set up (where i come in :))

Harder to remove/change tyres.

I was a bit nervous first putting it in, as i had a horrible feeling that as soon as i pumped it up, (you have to use a compressor, so it pumps it fast enough!) liquid latex would spew everywhere! But apart from a few bubbles of foam, which when layed flat were fully sealed in about 20 mins, it was all sealed, and i was well chuffed!

I've been using it all today, and been doing some horrible gap to front wheel, with my wheel landing at 90 degrees, (ultimate tyre folding opportunity) at low pressures, and not a sign of the seal breaking. I also, (actually gay ben did) shoved an allen key into my tyre, and holding the hole at the bottom, was sealed in about 15 seconds! I might try something larger tomorrow. :)

Obviously i'm gonna have to wait and see for the long time effects, but i presume (and hope) it will be great long lasting! The tyre can also be inflated and deflated no problem once it's sealed, say you need to take the back wheel out of the frame.

Since it's such a faff, and not alot of people have a good need for a large bottle of liquid latex, and a compressor, i'd like to offer me to do it for you all.

£10 will get you the appropriate rim strip (needed as it's got the valve), a decent amount of liquid latex, actually fitting it all, and getting it all correctly sealed. (Which is a faff)

There's pretty much no tyre which can't be sealed, even old tyres with small (ish) holes in them will just be sealed, although i couldn't do it on my koxx (drilled) rim. It's very hard to seal around the holes succesfully! But all other (non-drilled) rims should be fine! I'll be running it in the rear once i get my new echo rim!

So if you've always wanted to run tubeless, send your wheel, tyre, and £10 (plus postage) to me, and i can get it done for you. (Y)

If anyone wants/needs further info, give me a shout.

Also, for your viewing pleasure:

Pain of Puncture Test Video :) (Right click > save target as)

Mike. :)

I also, (actually gay ben did) shoved an allen key into my tyre, and holding the hole at the bottom, was sealed in about 15 seconds! I might try something larger tomorrow. :)

So you jabbed an allen key in.. like you made a hole?

Thats pretty impressive. I've never actually seen any problems with running it on the front, i mean it makes perfect sense.

Problems could be lack of tyre choice - although michelin do make some niced tubeless.

I'm not a big fan, but hey - nice one if it works for you (Y)

So you jabbed an allen key in.. like you made a hole?

Thats pretty impressive.  I've never actually seen any problems with running it on the front, i mean it makes perfect sense.

Problems could be lack of tyre choice - although michelin do make some niced tubeless.

I'm not a big fan, but hey - nice one if it works for you :)

Yeah, just shoved an allen key right in.

I think you've missed the point, that it can be done on any tyre, just your normal existing tyres! I'm running my 4 month old minion single ply!

Mike. (Y)

lol, that video is very uimpressive.

I have only ever seen pictures before (one with a tyre and loads of nails and screwdrivers sticking out of it)

anyway, its a good idea offering your services, nice one (Y)

Out of interest...how do you get the tyre off without all the filler oozing out?

LMAO That guy would be screwed at 0.46 secs on that video if he missed!

How does this actually work? is there like a layer of sealant(sp?) round the rim-tyre?

Dont hold me to it but i think the latex fills the hole and drys (Y)

ime not to sure if thats what mike told me

Ha ha that vid is HARDCORE!

He really doesn't like Kenda tyres does he.

I'm kinda suprised no ones thought of this before, it's been used in other areas of mountain biking for years (Y)

Mike, does this mean that every time you want to change your tyre you'd have to send it to you to get it fitted?

'Cos postage on a wheel and tyre isn't cheap...

i think u cut off part of the valve... so it still has a lip on and so it doesnt fall out. and when you wrap the ''rim tape'' around the rim u allow a hole for the valve entry. thus (Y) allowing you to successfully pump up your tyre with the latex stuff in. also i think you put the latex stuff in through the valve(take the inside off it apart).

any people to thank regarding this Mike? :)"  :)

I told people it works, no one believed me, well I have the last laugh now mmmmwwwahahahahaha

Haha yeah, cheers Ali! (Y)

Out of interest...how do you get the tyre off without all the filler oozing out?

The tyre's not actually filled to the brim with the stuff, think how much it would weigh! It's nearly all air, with say about 2 gt85 lid full's. You'd just let it run to the bottom, then take the tyre off as normal.

How does this actually work? is there like a layer of sealant(sp?) round the rim-tyre?

The liquid latex forms a seal between the rim and the tyre, so no air can come out. :)

Hi! Nice vid!

I wondered if it is possible to treat 20"/mod tires?

Yeah, there's no problem, i can easily obtain a 12" rim strip. (I use a 20" rim strip for 26" wheels, so it's tight!) All the rest is the same.

Mike, does this mean that every time you want to change your tyre you'd have to send it to you to get it fitted?

'Cos postage on a wheel and tyre isn't cheap...

Urr, yeah i spose, but you only need to change tyres like once every 4 months? My Maxxis Minion Super Tacky is over 4 months old, and is still going strong.

If I know correctly there is special rim tape that helps to seal spoke holes, the valve is atached straight into rim tape.

It's just a rim strip, so if you imagine an inner tube, with the valve etc, but just a strip, not a tube. So it's like a rim tape with a valve. :)

Joe & sidehop, what are you actually confused about? Seems pretty self explanitory to me!!

Mike. :P