Tubeless, Any One Tried It?

Phatmike

I take it something like this would work :)

Mike where did you get your rim strips from? :blink:

Yeah, that latex'll be fine. :)

The rim strip i'm using is a proper notubes one i bought (for dirt cheap, cheers) from Ali C, but i've butchered a 20" tube, and once stretched round the rim, is perfectly fine. (Y) If you're using 20"/19" rims, then you can get a 12" tube for cheap from either an LBS, or a unicycling shop. (Google...)

Yep, great for making a mould of your nob too :)

I would guess rim strips are nothing special, since its a home-made affair... normal plastic rim tape + some glue + sealing tape?

The rim strips are the actual bit with the valve, so making one, and attatching the valve securely would be pretty hard!

I think i'll just buy some more of Stan's stuff and hopw it works on my Koxx rims  :P

You really don't need the stan's stuff, it's a lot more expensive, and although seals a little quicker, does exactly the same job!

Just for the record, i didn't drill the inner wall of my rim, and it's fine. :)

Do you reckon it'll work on Koxx rims with some serious duct-taping?  If not, Echo are gonna see a lot more interest in their rims...

I doubt it, i spent a few hours trying, and just couldn't get it to seal successfully. Every so-often on the rim, there's 2 small holes about 2" apart, right near the sidewalls, and so are very hard to seal!

They claim that, but i'd advise checking some XC and maybe DH forums before buying a kit... US ones too, since the NoTubes kit isnt that popular over here.

Well, i would've been (and was) sceptical about that, but with my front tyre at very low pressure i had a nasty crash in birmingham, which powered my front wheel sideways into the step, which put 2 ~5mm gashes in my tyre, and i originally thought it was the seal broken, but no, it was fine! Admitedly, the latex couldn't seal a big gash in my tyre, but i just sanded it down (all without taking the tyre and wheel off), and applied 2 inner tube patches, pumped it up, and is fine! :)

Mike. :)

to get extra security of tyre fold, pour more latex on the bead of the tyre when its on the rim and inflated, that realy helps to create a strong flexible bond. I did it on a wheel of mine and inflated it to 10psi (after properly seating it) and no matter how hard I tryed, I couldnt get any air to escape when pushing the sidewall off the rim. I also wacked the wheel against a corner still at 10psi and it just wouldnt puncture! I put big dents in the wheel trying :blink:

You can seal drilled rims (even drilled sidewalls). You just do as mike was saying about using the 12" tubes to seal 20" bikes, well you get a 20" tube, stretch it over your rim and slit it down the middle. Spread the tube over the sidewall of the rim and clean it.

Then put your tyre on whith the tube still stretched over the rim and seal it with the latex. When its all sealed, cut off the remaining tube flush with the tyre.

That seals everything from holes in the rim and I think creates extra ressistance to folding.

did you not just watch that video where he shoves a load of beastly tools into the tyre, if it repairs after that...a pinch shouldn't be bad at all!

Not really, even a 1/4" screw driver won't put a 1/4" hole in the tyre, as it will stretch around the screwdriver when it's inserted, then return to a smaller hole once pulled out. :blink: A pinch could easily put a 12mm gash in an inner tube! Something which i doubt the latex would easily seal, plus it needs the rush of air escaping to actually dry it...

Still definately worth a try! (Y)

Pinch on a tyre will be considerably smaller than that on the tube. Maybe even not exsistant most of the time...

Nah, the thing is with not running a tube is that it's impossible to pinch! Pinches happen because the tyre with a sharp edge actually pinches the tube, whereas without a tube, there's nothing to pinch! :lol:

I asked Stan's No Tubes do they have 20" kits, they said that they have/could make them.  :ermm:  I will get some.

And pay like £45 for a kit? Lovely! £10 is all you need. (Y)

did you not just watch that video where he shoves a load of beastly tools into the tyre, if it repairs after that...a pinch shouldn't be bad at all!

Yeah, I saw it ages ago if it's the one I'm tihnking of. Quite impressive, but if I remember rightly, the site says it doesn't work for pinches?

Pinches have been reported on these tubeless tyres, on super skinny XC tyres at very high speed, on very square rocks, it is not going to happen on a big mofo DH tyre.  (Y)

Yeah. But if you're not getting pinches using a DH tyre, you may as well go for something a bit lighter (Megablaster?). But then that might pinch (Y)

I know what I mean, obviously not making it too clear though (Y)

Yeh but then you'd lose that "bounce" you get from thick tyres, also megablasters aren't meant to be too grippy.

I used one a while back. The grip was good (Although possibly not on a par with the power of the Maxxis), but I got pinches all the time (Y)

Jeez dave, it's really not that hard. (Y)

daves%20fooking%20stupid.jpg

When layed flat, the liquid latex will run to the side of the tyre, dry, and make a seal between the rim and tyre. Repeat on both sides.

Alot of the latex stays liquid, and when you get a hole in the tyre, it comes out a little, and quickly dries.

Mike.

*Pats *special* dave on the back.

Edited by fatmike