Freewheels On Rear Wheel, Popular Set-up ?

paolo

I have this small question of personal interest. As I don't live in a trials active community, I was wondering if having a thread-on freewheel (ENO for example) bolted to a track style hub on the back wheel (obviously...) on a single speeded stock is popular ? It seems like a much better set-up to me, and also costs a less, about 50 pounds if comparing a DMR revolver hub with a ENO trials freewheel to a Hope Trials Pro II with spacers and a sproket (I basically checked on tarty for what they had) .

So, is there a particular reason why there isn't a lot of chatter about it on the forum, or why it isn't used a lot ?

That's my precise set-up as it happens.

I ride stock & my rear wheel is a Try-All rim with DMR Revolver Hub & an ENO. (A couple of spokes for good measure).

The only reason I can see for ever going back to a freehub is to have a second gear for the ride home. Seeing as I live pretty close to town & drive there's sod all chance of ever going back!

For me the screw on freewheel just feels alot more solid, absolutely never slips & I gather the wider space between the hub flanges builds a slightly stronger wheel.

Single Speed for the win!!

I can think of to reasons for and a few against rear freewheel . For one your right about the price comparisons rear freehub ( of a good quality ) are indeed stronger and faster to engage but with a rear freewheel prices start from 5 pound for a dicta freewheel .

Removal of the freewheel can be hard unless the specific tool or a vice is used though and also you have a limit of gear ratios you can use wich enable you to use only larger front sprockets like 22 and 24 - 16/18 tooth rear freewheel .

if you were straped for cash i would recomend this setup u sugested as it has a nice solid feel and it wont burn a hole in your wallet B)

a mate of mine runs a 22t front chainring with an 18t acs claws on the rear dmr revolver hub, which was welded shut by me and has been going strong for about a year! HASN'T SKIPPED ONCE! its a great setup!

go for it! its really good setup!

I wasn't asking if I should run it, because I all ready ordered a wheel from my LBS with that set-up yesterday, a surly disk track hub and I haven't chose the freewheel yet. I'm asking because I think it just is a better set-up, I'll get back to you guys when I'll get it, friday.

As for my ratio, I plan on putting 28t sprocket with a 16t freewheel which will give me a nice 1.75 ratio, yes I'm rather abnormal, but I'm not really into sidehops and UCI type stuff. Only time I need a small ratio is to do pedal kicks, okay that's like all the time. For fakie riding and just general hopping up stuff without hooking and spinning, it's much better, I find. But ehm, let's keep on subject and not talk about how a wacko I am :P.

I wasn't asking if I should run it, because I all ready ordered a wheel from my LBS with that set-up yesterday, a surly disk track hub and I haven't chose the freewheel yet. I'm asking because I think it just is a better set-up, I'll get back to you guys when I'll get it, friday.

As for my ratio, I plan on putting 28t sprocket with a 16t freewheel which will give me a nice 1.75 ratio, yes I'm rather abnormal, but I'm not really into sidehops and UCI type stuff. Only time I need a small ratio is to do pedal kicks, okay that's like all the time. For fakie riding and just general hopping up stuff without hooking and spinning, it's much better, I find. But ehm, let's keep on subject and not talk about how a wacko I am :P.

I would get a tensile mate, mine is the 18t version and has lasted 7 months, still really smooth and loud, no skips etc.

I would also remove about 10 teeth from your front chainring! What bike are you riding? the only bike I would run that ratio on is a leeson or another street style bike.

I currently ride a PX ghost (yeaaah, PX as in planet X) weird angle... with 24" wheels but the ghost actually is a 26" frame with really tight chain stays so things aren't super. I also own an Endless Lifetime here which is a dedicated 24" but it doesn't have any bb rise and the top tube is 23" long so it's a bit of a bitch for trials so I prefer the ghost. But I'm planning on eventually getting a real street trials frame soon, possibly a reset.

Now ------------------------> back on topic !

a mate of mine runs a 22t front chainring with an 18t acs claws on the rear dmr revolver hub, which was welded shut by me and has been going strong for about a year! HASN'T SKIPPED ONCE! its a great setup!

go for it! its really good setup!

welding that shut was a bit of a waste of time given that they don't unscrew themselves when on the back.

I personally get on with freehweels and threaded hubs better then freehubs.

I've had, hope XC's, a king and nothing has come close to being as good as a ACS on a dmr hub, I sold my first DMR wheel as I thought I would try gears for a while, but then after I killed 2 hope hubs, I thought I'd try something better, got a king. Was ok for a while then just sarted skipping, presummed it needed a service and generally didnt like it so I sold it on (only to find out it needed new drive rings and spring by the next owner)

But both my DMR wheels have been absolutley perfect, no problems at all :D

welding that shut was a bit of a waste of time given that they don't unscrew themselves when on the back.

i welded it shut because i needed to practice welding. was gunna run it on the front of mine anyways!

and yeah, i'm sure they would work loose, look at the tensile freewheel that was meant to 'stay tight' on the front...

weld = aint guna come apart no matter what :D