Gearing Set Ups And Preferences.

LiamWood!

Hello, I am soon to upgrade my cranks to the Echo 6061 forged, at the moment the gearing I'm running is 22:16 and its not that nice to ride with. Ive tried searching for peoples set ups but found nothing of use. Due to me getting new cranks i need a screw on sprocket but don't know what size to get, I was thinking a 20T would be suitable searching on tarty for bash rings awel i found that they don't cover up a 20T chain ring.

Has anybody got any advice to help me?

Cheers Liam

Hello, I am soon to upgrade my cranks to the Echo 6061 forged, at the moment the gearing I'm running is 22:16 and its not that nice to ride with. Ive tried searching for peoples set ups but found nothing of use. Due to me getting new cranks i need a screw on sprocket but don't know what size to get, I was thinking a 20T would be suitable searching on tarty for bash rings awel i found that they don't cover up a 20T chain ring.

Cheers Liam

yes mate... try www.nbr-uk.co.uk

look up the cranks on there....i run some myself and im on a 18:17 and iits sweet.....andy the guy who runs the site will inform you more through the site

hope this helps

On stock? Or is your info wrong?

18:13 on stock is silly

On mod it is nice

it says on his info that he rides mod. not sure if that is right or not :S

i run 18:12 at the moment, but my mates say its too high for my monty but im unsure. i think 18:12 is pretty good to be honest mate, but gearing is personal preferance, some like it high, some like it low B)

Ok, so, if the original poster's info is correct, he rides mod

Aim to get 18:12, and then work from there

If you find it a touch too hard, get 13t on the rear

One of those should do, and are pretty much used on every mod going (within reason)

So 18:12 the diffrence is four, so if i ran 20:16 it would feel the same?

not quite. take the original setup of 22:16 and do 22 divded by 16 gives you 1.375 - thats the ratio.

18:12 gives you 1.5 so to get the same feel from a 20t chainring you need to have a 13t cog because 20/13 = 1.538 which is as close as you'll get.

Hope this helps.

J

Just for the record, I (and many many others i think) aim for about 1.1. I just find it easier to flick about, but then again I ride stock so it could be a lot different. I've never spent a lot of time on a mod.

Edited by jaYDee

So its looking like i need to go front freewheel with a 12 or 13 rear sprocket, i know there has been lots of threads about freewheels so i will have a search if i get the money i will be having an Eno, also the bashgaurds to they just slide over the top of the threads and then the freewheel or sprocket screws on and keeps it in place?

You want to aim for a value of around 30 gear inches to start with really

Note: The following examples are shown for stock

If you take your initial setup (ie. 22:18) and divide front by back (22/18 = 1.222222)

Multiply that by your wheel size (20, 24 or 26) ie. 26 * 1.222 = 31.78 gear inches

To work this backwards;

First, 30 divided by wheelsize 30/26 = 1.15

Next, divide your chainring by that value 22/1.15 = 19 (to the nearest whole number)

So 22:19 is about right for a starting gear

Here's a table for you with gear ratios/gear inches to make life easier ;)

gearsnl2.th.jpg

(Click to resize)

You want to aim for a value of around 30 gear inches to start with really

Note: The following examples are shown for stock

If you take your initial setup (ie. 22:18) and divide front by back (22/18 = 1.222222)

Multiply that by your wheel size (20, 24 or 26) ie. 26 * 1.222 = 31.78 gear inches

To work this backwards;

First, 30 divided by wheelsize 30/26 = 1.15

Next, divide your chainring by that value 22/1.15 = 19 (to the nearest whole number)

So 22:19 is about right for a starting gear

Here's a table for you with gear ratios/gear inches to make life easier ;)

gearsnl2.th.jpg

(Click to resize)

Wow that all looks a bit complicated, so would you recommend the echo cranks?

Cheers Liam

well i am riding stock mate and i run 22/18 but most of my mates that ride mod run 18/15 i hope that helped.