New 203 Rotor !

Pashley26

I've just put a 203 rotor on the front of my Pashley.....You've never seen, felt, or laughed at anything so spot on in your life !

Locks up great, awesome modulation, I've got the TPA style thing on my lever (like steve peat had :lol:) It's a BEAST.....

What are your views ? anyone else got big rotors ?

Jarrod

Erm, congratulations?! :huh:

Thanks (Y) if you want to congratulate me i'll tell you why i'm so proud ? My hope C2 has a 0.5 offset...So fitting 203 rotor ment that i would only be able to use about 20% of the braking surface of the rotor becouse the brake would actually be at 215mm (if you followed it around in a circle with the center being the quick release...) so i had to machine the mount and then cut and finish the rotor so it was 0.2mm smaller so it used all of the braking surface of the Rotor.....

I call it Neld Skhool (New-Old School-Skool)

Jarrod

Thanks (Y) if you want to congratulate me i'll tell you why i'm so proud ? My hope C2 has a 0.5 offset...So fitting 203 rotor ment that i would only be able to use about 20% of the braking surface of the rotor becouse the brake would actually be at 215mm (if you followed it around in a circle with the center being the quick release...) so i had to machine the mount and then cut and finish the rotor so it was 0.2mm smaller so it used all of the braking surface of the Rotor.....

I call it Neld Skhool (New-Old School-Skool)

Jarrod

Ahhhh i get you know. ok seriousy nice one :)

I've always had a 203 front rotor and yeah...its powerful. Thats on a mod btw... hahaha

Ahhhh i get you know. ok seriousy nice one :)

I've always had a 203 front rotor and yeah...its powerful. Thats on a mod btw... hahaha

I'll just explaiin a bit better, the circumference of my Hope C2's disc was 185mm becouse they are roughly 15 years old. So with a plus 20 mount it would have been set for a 205mm rotor rather than a 203mm rotor.

Then with the calliper on top it would have been 215mm, not 213mm....

So i lopped 1.8mm off of my mount and then shaved 0.2mm off my disc to remove the 2mm difference................ Boring i know :D

Jarrod

Edit....Just saw 203 and on a mod in the same sentence ! WHAT A BEAST !

Edited by Pashley26

So i lopped 1.8mm off of my mount and then shaved 0.2mm off my disc to remove the 2mm difference................ Boring i know :D

That doesnt actually add up! shaving the mount means your caliper is closer to the hub than previously, meaning you need to shave more off the disc. also, 0.2mm off the disk is a total 0.4mm in diameter.

Im confused by what you have done, and why you didnt get a rotor with a wider pad contact patch. the c2's are designed to run on a 20mm wide rotor surface, that looks like a mono4 rotor which has a much thinner surface, so some of your pad is going to be hanging off the edges- this can casue a problem once they start to wear down a bit.

I feel it's very appropriate to have a 203mm rotor - always had them on all my disks - can't settle for anything less...

203mm hayes ***

EDIT: Err could be a 205mm hayes - can't remmeber which is which anymore and if hope/hayes have changed or what not :S

Edited by Mr_Tweek

That doesnt actually add up! shaving the mount means your caliper is closer to the hub than previously, meaning you need to shave more off the disc. also, 0.2mm off the disk is a total 0.4mm in diameter.]

By "Shaving the mount" i ment taking it off of the ovalised bolt holes on the +20 mount, so i could slide the brake up or down further.

I had also taken into acount that taking material off of the disc would affect the diameter, Wich is why i had to make my mounts more adjustable.

My fork mounts are set for brakes that are 185mm from standard. As C2's are old and we didn't have any 205 rotors or adapter mounts in stock i had to adapt the disc and the +20 mounts. so that between the two it removed 2mm in total.

Making my mounts set for 203mm rotors.

I did all of that becouse my brakes were too high for the disc and only used half of the pad.

Hope that cleared things up a bit :D

Jarrod

Edit. Just to add. I did all of this becouse i finished working there on Saturday and couldn't order anything in with my staff discount ! XD

Edited by Pashley26

I did all of that becouse my brakes were too high for the disc and only used half of the pad.

surely you still have that problem, because i mentioned previously the disk surface if too thin for the caliper anyway? Even the pictures show it to be rubbing an excessive length of the 'spokes'.

surely you still have that problem, because i mentioned previously the disk surface if too thin for the caliper anyway? Even the pictures show it to be rubbing an excessive length of the 'spokes'.

No. My hope C2's have a TPA style adjuster on them (The silver knob on the top of the lever) so you can change the distance of the pads. If that is what you mean ? As for spokes they clear by miles ! I think you might have mis-understood me.

Jarrod

Edit. Think i've just got what you mean ! You mean the Rotor's spokes ? Remember there is a +20 mount in there aswell. It is close but dosen't touch. That is what i was trying to eliminate, and is why i did all of the work.

Pics added showing no rubbing on the spokes.

4or52yq.jpg

53ykbwm.jpg

Edited by Pashley26