64bit Operating Systems/processors

planet x alan

You can use a 64 bit processor with either 64 or 32 bit os, but you cannot use a 32 bit processor with 64 bit os.

It is faster running 64bit os with the cpu but only if you have enough ram to make it worthwhile. I have 4gb and it runs smooth as butter.

Here are some advantages, all it takes it some googling. Linky

You can use a 64 bit processor with either 64 or 32 bit os, but you cannot use a 32 bit processor with 64 bit os.

It is faster running 64bit os with the cpu but only if you have enough ram to make it worthwhile. I have 4gb and it runs smooth as butter.

Here are some advantages, all it takes it some googling. Linky

thanks very much that helped a lot. made my mind up :)

cheers

Be warned though driver support for xp/vista 64bit is very flakey.

that is very true indeed

also.

there's buggerall 64bit specific software available unless you like doing 3d graphics in your spare time and even then it doesn't seem to make a great deal of difference.

Yeah forgot about the driver issues.

They are not TOOO bad, they are improving. Such software like pov ray runs a lot faster on 64bits, and a lot of software is slowly converting, such as VLC (beta) and Firefox. Downside is that the drivers need to be signed by Microsoft which sucks.

I would say stay to 32 bit unless you know how to use computers well and get the most from the wider execution range. Give it another year till its really getting into flow but the seas are changing.

that is very true indeed

also.

there's buggerall 64bit specific software available unless you like doing 3d graphics in your spare time and even then it doesn't seem to make a great deal of difference.

Actually, if you make music on your compy, you can go truly 64bit and apparently makes a real difference.